Cogeco TiVo service - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-03, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timespace View Post
I switched from Bell TV 9242 (dual tuner, multi room pvr) to Cogeco TiVo.
The reason that I switched was because the Bell TV system lost reception during rain and snow squalls. It got to be really annoying. I had Bell service guys out checking and re positioning the dish which did not help.
Except for the above I really liked the 9242 but the TiVo unit is better because of the features such as wish list and suggestions.
I really appreciate the TiVo DVR when it kicks back a few seconds when you hit the stop button when fast forwarding past a commercial so you land exactly where the show begins after the commercial.
The 9242 would freeze up every couple of days and a reboot was required.
The Cogeco TiVo has a 1TB drive while the 9242 has 500GB.
The Cogeco TiVo can record 6 programs at once if you have 3 tvs; 9242 records 2.

Hope this helps.
Actually, the Tivo box has 6 tuners itself. You don't need any Mini's to be able to record 6 things at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-03, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Tivo was installed yesterday. The interface is certainly a generational leap from the Pace guide. I can see why Cogeco dropped their development and went with an established and proven software package. The modem given to us is an Arris TG1672G cable/telephone/router/wifi combo. The wifi is not a separate box thus does not cost extra. Typing 192.168.0.1 in your browser address gives you access to the router settings and status.The options appear similar to most routers.

I have a dual band wifi (2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz) Airport Time Capsule router. It broadcasts on one single wireless network and each wireless client picks the best frequency option to use. The Arris also has dual band but gives you 2 separate wifi networks: a 2.4 Ghz and a 5 Ghz. So then I had 3 networks!

To initially get all my wireless 'stuff' online, I've put my Airport router into bridge mode and moved all my wireless equipment onto one of the 2 Arris networks. Everything seems to be working OK so far but I would really like to go back to 1 dual band network with the Arris in bridge mode. Our installer asked Cogeco support if bridge mode could be used. They said no. This probably means they do not support it vice the world ending if I do it. Similar to the Cogeco position with the component/hdmi change on the old motorola box. However, from what I understand (which is not much when it comes to networks), using bridge mode in the Arris means losing the iPad/iPhone streaming capabilities. Is this correct?
Yes, that's correct, using bridge mode works, but you lose device streaming functionality.
But, you can connect your own router as an access point, and connect all your devices to it, without losing the streaming abilities.
post #108 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-03, 10:20 AM

Tivo remote tip:

For those of you who prefer the 30 second skip over 30 second scan, you can enter a code on your remote to change how your Tivo box reacts when you want to jump 30 seconds in a recording.

Make sure you are watching a pre-recorded show.
Then, on your remote, press:
Select, Play, Select, 3, 0, Select
That's it!

Also, this code programs your box, not the remote. So, you do NOT need to enter a new code for your Harmony remotes.
Andicus likes this.

post #109 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-03, 10:38 AM
Rookie

Thanks Pooper.
post #110 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-04, 08:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Tivo was installed yesterday. The interface is certainly a generational leap from the Pace guide. I can see why Cogeco dropped their development and went with an established and proven software package. The modem given to us is an Arris TG1672G cable/telephone/router/wifi combo. The wifi is not a separate box thus does not cost extra. Typing 192.168.0.1 in your browser address gives you access to the router settings and status.The options appear similar to most routers.

I have a dual band wifi (2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz) Airport Time Capsule router. It broadcasts on one single wireless network and each wireless client picks the best frequency option to use. The Arris also has dual band but gives you 2 separate wifi networks: a 2.4 Ghz and a 5 Ghz. So then I had 3 networks!

To initially get all my wireless 'stuff' online, I've put my Airport router into bridge mode and moved all my wireless equipment onto one of the 2 Arris networks. Everything seems to be working OK so far but I would really like to go back to 1 dual band network with the Arris in bridge mode. Our installer asked Cogeco support if bridge mode could be used. They said no. This probably means they do not support it vice the world ending if I do it. Similar to the Cogeco position with the component/hdmi change on the old motorola box. However, from what I understand (which is not much when it comes to networks), using bridge mode in the Arris means losing the iPad/iPhone streaming capabilities. Is this correct?
I am going to want the same setup as you, having my Airport Time Capsule act as my wireless, and have the Arris in bridge mode.

Pooper has given some good info as to how to set it up, and mentioned that he got streaming to work, though it sounds as if that was a bit of a challenge, am hoping more instructions will be posted here so that we can get everything working via the Airport router.

I will be ordering TiVo in January and hope that I can get it configured to the way my network is today...
post #111 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-05, 09:39 AM
Rookie

ianq

I called Cogeco and they stated that the Arris cannot combine the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks into one. I've now gone back to having 3 separate networks (the Arris 2.4 and 5ghz and my previous single Airport network (a simultaneous 2.4 and 5 combined into one network). All my devices, vice the iPad (for Tivo streaming) are now on the latter. I also hid the 2 Arris networks from outside view. I haven't come across any IP conflicts so far.

A question for current TiVo users: How the heck do you turn off the automatic recording of their 'Suggestions'? I've trolled the net and all the solutions involve options in the 'Settings' menu that do not appear in my Cogeco TiVo menu.
post #112 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-05, 10:39 AM

The option is definitely there in the settings.
Are you using the Mini to look? It might have a more limited selection of settings.
post #113 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-05, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you’d prefer not to record TiVo Suggestions automatically, you can turn them off. From the TiVo Central screen choose ‘Settings & Messages,’ then ‘Settings,’ then ‘Recording,’ then ‘TiVo Suggestions.
Cogeco Tivo Service Remote Quick Guide PDF 3066 kb
post #114 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-05, 02:12 PM
Rookie

Thanks Dave. As Pooper suspected, I was trying to do it from the Mini which does not have the Record option.
post #115 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-11, 08:49 AM

quick tip:

For those who want their app to work as advertised, all you have to do is to setup your account on tivo.com (u.s.) download tivo app(u.s. iTunes) login and everything work perfectly. now the app keep your shows on the iPad everything else work well.
post #116 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-11, 09:12 AM

It's funny you mention that. I just downloaded the US app, and was pulling up my Tivo service number to try that, when I saw this. I'm glad I'm not wasting my time. Thanks for posting.
post #117 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-11, 07:47 PM
Rookie

Hi guys, Im having the TiVo installed on the 17th, I need my home network to work as it is now, to confirm:

put the arris modem in bridge mode

put my asus RTAC66U as a access point (I need to assign a static ip to my router?)

Thanks!!!
post #118 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-11, 08:36 PM

Going solely off anecdotal evidence the Arris modem that Cogeco supplied does not support bridge mode.

You can however turn off the wireless radio in the Cogeco modem and use your Asus as an access point. You cannot use your Asus as a modem based on what I've heard from others who have the service.
post #119 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-24, 06:29 PM

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii
Anyone with the Tivo please let me know if you've experienced issues and what they've been.
I am three weeks into my Tivo experience and already have a tech booked to come out.
My one Tivo Mini goes unresponsive after a few hours (wake up every morning to find the box will not respond to the remote). Have to unplug the box to reset.
As well, I just experienced my first lost of connection from the 2 mini's to the DVR box. Had to reset (pull plug and battery) on the modem to correct.
post #120 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-24, 11:43 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
My one Tivo Mini goes unresponsive after a few hours (wake up every morning to find the box will not respond to the remote).
Make sure you don't have some form of IR interference. Each STB can be more or less susceptible. Here's the thread on the topic. The TV is the usual suspect, which is usually easy to check by turning off the TV and seeing if the STB responds. Additional light during the day may have an effect.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in