Cogeco TiVo service - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-22, 11:02 PM

The Arris modem absolutely DOES work in bridge mode.
For me, it was as simple as selecting bridge mode, saving the setting, and then restarting the modem. I then plugged in my own router without changing any of its settings. Everything worked just like it had with Cogeco's older modem.
After a couple of days, I wanted to see if I could use my router AND still be able to stream to mobile devices at the same time. It takes some more work, but I was able to get that working too.
Either way, it can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-23, 08:29 AM

I wish I checked this forum before I tried the install! I don't think he cycled the modem after turning it to bridge mode. We could cable and wifi running, but not internet connection. Looks like we gave up too quickly

I also want to be able to stream TiVo content to mobile devices, as well as be able to control my TiVo remotely with same, which I thought wouldn't be an option in bridge mode. Care to outline how you accomplished that?

Have you played around with the Arris settings? I can't imagine it doesn't have standard functionality like a Linksys. I was just too concerned about losing my security settings ...
post #93 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-23, 08:37 AM

Owned Tivo Premier

I have a purchased TIVO Premier that I bought for OTA. Has anyone asked Cogeco about activating a Tivo on their network?

Thx

post #94 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-24, 11:50 PM

So I just came from the Cogeco store in Oakville Place Mall, and much of what has been said here was confirmed. I don't qualify, as I only have 1 TV. My PVR currently is costing $15/month. The TiVo is $20/month, but also requires a $7 box for the additional TV, and their own WIFI router for $3/month.

The TiVo box connects via co-ax cable and RJ-45 to the www. Apparently WiFi connectivity isn't adequate.

As I don't have a LAN drop near my TV, I would have to either run cable, or set up the Cogeco modem at the TV's co-ax.

The series recording capabilities look amazing. It will record any show that contains certain key-words from cable, Netflix, or YouTube. The guide is much better than the Motorola version.

I suspect that they got a deal from TiVo provided they distribute a second box to each user.
post #95 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-25, 02:57 PM
Rookie

The Cogeco TiVO boxes do not use ethernet - yet. All signal comes via the Coax - it's why you need Cogeco's Arris modem, as it has MoCa for providing internet via the coax to the TiVo.

I had this all installed yesterday. The Arris modem, for lack of a better term, sucks. Forcing me to use it has greatly impacted the various networking devices I was using before (as in, removing them from my network). The wifi from the Arris is spotty at best, and local ethernet is not near the speeds it should be.

I have heard on other forums about users disabling MoCa, and running ethernet to the TiVo and have it working, but I have not given that a try yet.
post #96 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-25, 04:24 PM

Cogeco/TiVo Guide

Last Sunday CBS football ran 20 minutes past the guide time into 60 minutes' programming and each program after that ran 20 minutes into the following one. So my recordings on that station after football were all off by 20 minutes. I don't know when the guide got back to normal (probably at the 11pm evening news). This sort of thing happens a lot on all stations.

When I am in the US, my TiVo box guide knows that a program is running over and it makes its own adjustments on the spot. My recordings after the football game would have began on time.

I am not talking about our TiVo box's setting where you can make a recording run longer if you think it will. The US box knows that a program is running longer and adjusts the next recording time accordingly so that it starts on time.
post #97 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-25, 09:24 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Perhaps the Canadian guide for the Cogeco TiVo is not as advanced. I have also heard of the adjustments and superior quality of the TiVo IPG, however, that is if you pay for it. Perhaps the payment is less in Canada or the guide is not as good...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #98 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-27, 08:41 PM

I have the same problem with my DVR on Sunday nights, so I just make sure the last show recorded that night is set for 1.5hrs over for stopping time. Hopefully Cogeco's allows for the same recording settings.
post #99 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-28, 03:24 PM

A question for those that have had the Tivo installed.

Is this worth the high rental fees or am I better sticking with my bell and my 9242 (dual tuner, multi room pvr)?
post #100 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-01, 06:23 AM
Rookie

The rental fees were less than we were paying for Whole Home. $5/mo for the Roamio main box, and $7/mo for each mini.
post #101 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-01, 07:55 AM

I think the look and the performance of the interface are by far the best available.
I have absolutely no problem with the price, and considering what some people are paying for Tivo service in the States, it's a steal for us.
post #102 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 04:55 PM

I switched from Bell TV 9242 (dual tuner, multi room pvr) to Cogeco TiVo.
The reason that I switched was because the Bell TV system lost reception during rain and snow squalls. It got to be really annoying. I had Bell service guys out checking and re positioning the dish which did not help.
Except for the above I really liked the 9242 but the TiVo unit is better because of the features such as wish list and suggestions.
I really appreciate the TiVo DVR when it kicks back a few seconds when you hit the stop button when fast forwarding past a commercial so you land exactly where the show begins after the commercial.
The 9242 would freeze up every couple of days and a reboot was required.
The Cogeco TiVo has a 1TB drive while the 9242 has 500GB.
The Cogeco TiVo can record 6 programs at once if you have 3 tvs; 9242 records 2.

Hope this helps.
post #103 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 10:15 PM

Tivo Mini - Resolution ALERT!
Do not attempt to change or more specifically auto scan the resolution as this will cause it to become a paperweight. Cogeco is aware of the problem and are waiting for a firmware update from TiVo. When attempted the failure causes it to be stuck in a continuous reboot loop and a tech has to come out, switch the box and reload the software - 30-45 minutes.

Otherwise so far so good.
post #104 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-03, 09:48 AM
Rookie

Tivo was installed yesterday. The interface is certainly a generational leap from the Pace guide. I can see why Cogeco dropped their development and went with an established and proven software package. The modem given to us is an Arris TG1672G cable/telephone/router/wifi combo. The wifi is not a separate box thus does not cost extra. Typing 192.168.0.1 in your browser address gives you access to the router settings and status.The options appear similar to most routers.

I have a dual band wifi (2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz) Airport Time Capsule router. It broadcasts on one single wireless network and each wireless client picks the best frequency option to use. The Arris also has dual band but gives you 2 separate wifi networks: a 2.4 Ghz and a 5 Ghz. So then I had 3 networks!

To initially get all my wireless 'stuff' online, I've put my Airport router into bridge mode and moved all my wireless equipment onto one of the 2 Arris networks. Everything seems to be working OK so far but I would really like to go back to 1 dual band network with the Arris in bridge mode. Our installer asked Cogeco support if bridge mode could be used. They said no. This probably means they do not support it vice the world ending if I do it. Similar to the Cogeco position with the component/hdmi change on the old motorola box. However, from what I understand (which is not much when it comes to networks), using bridge mode in the Arris means losing the iPad/iPhone streaming capabilities. Is this correct?
post #105 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-12-03, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippy View Post
Tivo Mini - Resolution ALERT!
Do not attempt to change or more specifically auto scan the resolution as this will cause it to become a paperweight. Cogeco is aware of the problem and are waiting for a firmware update from TiVo. When attempted the failure causes it to be stuck in a continuous reboot loop and a tech has to come out, switch the box and reload the software - 30-45 minutes.

Otherwise so far so good.
Yep. Mine crapped out the day it was installed.
I had to wait a week and a half for Cogeco to come out and replace it. Even then, the tech that came out didn't bring a new Mini, since they wouldn't believe me when I said the Mini was bricked. I talked to multiple tech support people, and even a supervisor, who all said it was packet loss. I tried to explain how that can't be, since the box won't even boot up. But, Cogeco support doesn't make a habit of listening to their customers. That would be silly.
Anyway, I'm glad they are now aware of the problem.

I'd also like to point out, that while the phone support is truly awful about 80% of the time, the techs that come to the house are always awesome.

Last edited by pooper; 2014-12-03 at 10:02 AM. Reason: punctuation

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in