Cogeco TiVo service - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 02:38 PM

You don't need to use bridge mode at all. You just need to turn off DHCP, and UPNP in your router, give it a static ip address (outside the range that Cogeco's router uses to supply addresses to connected devices), and connect it to Cogeco's modem/router through its LAN port (not WAN). You can then turn off wireless completely in Cogeco's modem, and have it just do the routing while using the wireless radios from your router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 03:26 PM
Rookie

So I don't set my router to use the current Cogeco supplied ip address (24.150.58.150 as an example) but instead use something arbitrary such as 192.168.100.100? I would have thought my router would still need to have an address on the same subnet as the Cogeco modem/router.

Do both the TiVo DVR and Mini plug into cable outlets, not needing wireless of their own?
post #78 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 04:33 PM

VPN

Does anyone know if I can use a VPN like Blockless with Cogeco's modem/router? A VPN enables you to get the US version of Netflix which is superior. Will using a VPN effect the Cogeco/Tivo system negatively?

post #79 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianq View Post
So I don't set my router to use the current Cogeco supplied ip address (24.150.58.150 as an example) but instead use something arbitrary such as 192.168.100.100? I would have thought my router would still need to have an address on the same subnet as the Cogeco modem/router.

Do both the TiVo DVR and Mini plug into cable outlets, not needing wireless of their own?
Yes, the address should still be in the same subnet. Just make sure it's not in the address range that the Cogeco router uses to pass out addresses via DHCP.
For example I set the Cogeco router DHCP address range from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100. I then picked 192.168.0.2 for my personal router.
post #80 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-12, 09:09 AM
Rookie

Great, thanks for the info...

Last edited by 57; 2014-11-12 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
post #81 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-12, 02:46 PM

I have Cogeco scheduled next week... 4 TVs.

Couple questions however...

Can I program my Harmony Remote to work with this set up or will I have to use the supplied remote? I really like only have 1 remote do everything. Makes it easier for the kids as well to only have to hit 1 button.

One of the TVs is an old model without an HDMI connection. Will this work with that TV as well as will it need an HDMI connection to work? Wonder how it would do if a show was PVR'd in HD and then tried to watch on a non-HD TV?

As a side note, I just had Cogeco install a new modem - upgraded to the Turbo 20 from Turbo 14 - and my internet speeds plummeted to about 3-6mgb. I was told by Cogeco they will be replacing that modem anyways with the new set up.

Thanks!
post #82 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-12, 03:32 PM

I just agreed to have the Tivo installed next Tuesday. As a long time(10 years+) Cogeco customer they agreed to waive the installation fee and to give me a $15 discount for 1 year. So instead of $20 I get the Tivo for $5 + $7 for the mini + $2.95 for the modem. Total cost per month is $14.95

So the total increase in cost to me considering that I have been paying $7.50/m for the pace rental, is $7.45/month. This is with a 1 year commitment and the ability to change my program package every 30 days.

I can't wait to experience this Tivo system.

Bill
post #83 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-12, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinate View Post
I have Cogeco scheduled next week... 4 TVs.

Couple questions however...

Can I program my Harmony Remote to work with this set up or will I have to use the supplied remote? I really like only have 1 remote do everything. Makes it easier for the kids as well to only have to hit 1 button.

One of the TVs is an old model without an HDMI connection. Will this work with that TV as well as will it need an HDMI connection to work? Wonder how it would do if a show was PVR'd in HD and then tried to watch on a non-HD TV?

As a side note, I just had Cogeco install a new modem - upgraded to the Turbo 20 from Turbo 14 - and my internet speeds plummeted to about 3-6mgb. I was told by Cogeco they will be replacing that modem anyways with the new set up.

Thanks!
Yep. I'm using a Harmony One with mine.

Yes. But you will need to get a special adapter. Either a 3.5mm to component, or 3.5mm to stereo A/V. Tivo makes them, but I'm not sure if Cogeco gives them to customers or not.
The Tivo box will down-convert for standard definition TV's.

Yes, you will get a new modem/wifi router. It's a good one.
post #84 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-12, 09:51 PM

Nice!

Thanks for the help!
post #85 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 12:38 PM

Tivo iOS App

every time I download a shows on either iphone(6 plus) or iPad (air) the downloaded shows disappear after I close the app. anybody can keep their downloaded shows? am I the only one with this?
post #86 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 02:44 PM

I have the opposite issue. When I close a stream, and it asks if I want to delete the recording, I say "yes". But it still shows up on the Tivo hard drive anyway.
post #87 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 04:19 PM

But can you download something on your ipad/iphone and keep it there. Mine disappear either after you close the app(slide up) or after a little while if you leave it in the background.
post #88 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 06:31 PM

I didn't realize what you meant at first.
After testing, I can confirm that the app does the same thing on my phone.
Although, if you check usage settings, you can see that the videos are still taking up space within the app.
post #89 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-14, 09:22 AM

here cogeco technical service answer:

Thank you for contacting Cogeco Technical Support. We appreciate the opportunity to help you.

We are currently investigating this issue with TiVo, and hope to have a resolution shortly.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please call 1-866-774-8888. Our representatives are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week for your convenience. You can also contact us through email via our Cogeco website and clicking on the "Contact Us" link on the right side.

Regards,

Cogeco Technical Support
post #90 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-22, 02:20 PM

Failed install

Pooper - you seem to know your stuff so hoping you can share your knowledge ...

I had a tech come out today to install TiVo. Seemed like a nice young guy who knew his stuff. Basic install was straight forward initially. The issue is I already have a network set up with router, switch and wireless router. My security system and security cameras are all connected to my primary router with customized settings (DDNS and Port Forwarding). The Arris (TiVo router) doesn't seem to have as much flexibility as my Linksys router, so we couldn't replicate my router settings. This means I can't access my security system or cameras remotely which is a show stopper.

He called Tech Support, wondering whether he could put the Arris in "bridge" mode. They said no. Cogeco will not support this set up. We tried it anyway, and couldn't seem to get an internet connection. Everything else worked.

Unfortunately, after 3 hours of tinkering, and getting bounced from one tech to another, we gave up. He re-installed my old clunky hardware. I saw the interface in action and it is slick! I want TiVo!!!

Interested to hear if someone has a work around for my dilemna?

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in