Cogeco TiVo service - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 08:40 PM

Blockless

Cogeco installed a new modem when I got the Cogeco/TiVo equipment. I was using Blockless (VPN) before to change countries for Netflix. Netflix has different movies available in different countries and they encourage you to use Blockless to take advantage of all that they offer.
Does anyone know if I can use Blockless with the Cogeco modem? It requires that I change DNS settings.
I know the internet address for this modem; it would just be a matter of changing the configuration. Would this cause problems somewhere else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 10:23 PM
Rookie

Does the modem have a built in wireless router that they force you to use for the home network (like Bell Fibe or Rogers) or can we continue to use our existing, faster, longer range routers and just use the wireless in the modem for the TiVo?

Thx...Ian
post #63 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-06, 02:25 AM

Regarding needing two TVs, I strongly suspect you have to pay for 2 TVs, but would be able to use the system with only one.

Assuming the boxes use HDMI, if there was some reason that the box 'had' to be hooked up, you could always connect it to a second HDMI input on the same TV. However, I seriously doubt that it has to be hooked up.

post #64 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-06, 09:18 AM

No, you don't need the Mini to be connected for the PVR to work.
And, yes, you can use your own router, if you set Cogeco's modem to bridge mode (You just won't be able to connect your phone or tablet to the system).
post #65 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-06, 02:30 PM

From Cogeco's Facebook page on the TiVo rollout: http://tinyurl.com/kd22rtt

Thank you for the information that you have provided and I can understand where you're coming from in regards to having two televisions connected. I want to clarify and confirm that the information you have provided is correct. From a technical stand point TiVo will work in the home on one television. Cogeco TiVo Service was launched as a Whole Home DVR solution for households with two or more TV's. Cogeco TiVo Service presents a best in class Whole Home DVR solution and its optimal viewing potential occurs when 2 or more TV’s are connected. I am going to forward on your concerns to our marketing team and you never know what may happen in the future and what will be offered. At this time it is being offered with a minimum of two TVs connected. For our customers that have one TV in the home they will still be able to enjoy the convenience of recording on one TV with our DVRs. Thanks, Melissa Cogeco

Kingston-Pace RNG200N,Paradigm Studio 60 v3, Paradigm CC 590 v5, Anthem MRX 700, Panny VT-55, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP 105

Last edited by rocket9; 2014-11-06 at 04:58 PM.
post #66 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBC944 View Post
You have to be kidding me! I have been lamenting the sorry state of DVR's in Canada since I last had a TiVo. What timing I just asked Cogeco to cancel all my services. Recording Formula 1 and seeing a NASCAR race, then recording the Tour de France and seeing a rodeo was the last straw. I even told their rep that TiVo uses an overscan flag to record a show when it is actually on not by time. OK, I was very frustrated and do realize that I was wasting my time.

Living in Burlington, do I go with Bell or lick my wounds and stick with Cogeco and hope that this time(they did announce a letter of agreement with Tivo in the early 2000's) they really will do it and do it right?
So I have hung on since my July post to my Cogeco services only to find out that I am not qualified to get Tivo as I only have one tv. I do have an iPhone and an iPad as well as an iMac. I guess they don't count as tv's but they are streaming devices! Cogeco strikes again.

Bill
post #67 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 09:33 AM

I think it's still worth it to pay the extra $7, even if you don't have a second TV.
The Tivo software is soooo much better than their last-century software.
And we actually get a pretty good price compared to a lot of people in the states with Tivo systems.
post #68 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 05:24 PM

Definitely a step up in software. The remote for the PVR seems to be RF while the remote for the mini seems to be uhf. Is this true. I find the "reception" on the main unit is a bit spotty (12 feet or so away) Flawless on the mini.

I would also like to use my own router but not sure how easy that is to configure with the arris box they put in.
post #69 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 10:58 PM

Question Tivo vs Pace

I too have only one TV and was told by COGECO that I wouldn't "qualify". I assume that means since I have a Pace DVR, I wouldn't need Tivo. I was wondering how the program guide compares to the Pace's. How would you compare the ease of use with Tivo? I was also told that I wouldn't be able to transfer my Pace recordings over to the Tivo box.
post #70 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-10, 10:44 AM

Cogeco Tivo App for both iPhone and Ipad, delete my downloaded shows when you close the app. (slide up to shut it down not just let it sleep in the background). I'm I the only one, or is this supposed to work that way?or worst is this a bug

thanks!

Edited: it delete shows even when you dont close the app(leaving it sleep in the back) and doing something else. (Like writing this pose)

Last edited by Stupd; 2014-11-10 at 11:29 AM.
post #71 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-10, 06:30 PM

There is a petition up for people who want to lobby Cogeco to make TiVo available for everyone (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/m...-all-customers), not just those who have multiple TV's. I wonder if they dont' have enough boxes available yet and are trying to roll it out slowly..?

Kingston-Pace RNG200N,Paradigm Studio 60 v3, Paradigm CC 590 v5, Anthem MRX 700, Panny VT-55, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP 105
post #72 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-10, 06:47 PM

Does this mean that cogeco will be using cable cards?

Also I realize they are mandating a two tv service, would it be possible to rent the two tv service from cogeco and purchase my own tv mini(s) for the other tvs in my household?
post #73 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-10, 08:19 PM

My installer told me these units do have cable cards in the back that the user can't get at. He also told me these units would not be for sale -- rental only.
post #74 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 12:36 PM

For those wanting to use their own AC routers, I can now confirm that you can use it as a wireless access point, and still have 100% of your Tivo's functionality (including streaming and downloading to phones/tablets).
post #75 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 02:16 PM
Rookie

So to confirm you are saying that I set my own router to bridge mode to act like an access point, and this allows me to use my own router for AC access by my other devices? or is it the Cogeco router that should be put in bridge mode? As for using phones/tablets, I assume they will have to connect to the Cogeco router?

Just trying to figure this all out...Thx Ian

Last edited by 57; 2014-11-11 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in