Cogeco TiVo service - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-02, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optics View Post
With all the bandwidth required to make full use of a six tuner hd pvr with streaming I would definitely consider running cable.At the extreme you could have 7 simultaneous hd steams running over wireless.

I hope Tivo has a larger space dedicated on the hard drive for the live tv buffer.20 min on hd is not enough and has never increased as a proportion with drives that are now 10x the size.I am constantly forgetting to record what I'm watching before I leave to take care of the many10 min items which become a hour that seem to arise just after you settle in to watch a show.2 hours of hd would be nice and would be a drop in the bucket on a tb drive.
I would expect the wireless connection would only apply for Netflix and Youtube. The 6 simultaneous recordings would refer to cable recordings, which would obviously require a coax cable connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-02, 12:56 PM

Even if you went with the Cogeco Tivo option you would need to get receivers ($7/m) for those TV's.

Be sure to look at the costs associated with both though as the Cogeco service seems very expensive.

Personally I'd look at a solution like MediaBrowser or XMBC. It takes a little bit of time to compile a media library, but once you have it setup it is a much better solution than any cable service.
post #48 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 09:35 AM

Cogeco is coming on Wednesday to install the new Tivo boxes.
There is a $60 install fee, and the new modem they force on you is $2.50/month to rent.
On the bright side, I qualified for the $5/month for 2 years promotion (because I have the current whole home PVR, apparently).
I'm pretty excited to get rid of the current abomination that's in my home.
Also; they did NOT make me get one of the new packages. I'm still on Digital Select 1.

Last edited by pooper; 2014-11-03 at 03:17 PM.

post #49 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 11:13 AM

Wednesday for me. Why do we need the wireless modem?
post #50 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 12:28 PM

I believe the new modem has MoCA capabilities to provide your TiVO with internet connectivity. Internet connectivity is required for guide data and Netflix.
post #51 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcanadian View Post
LOL this looks like it was filmed with a cellphone.

They didn't answer a single question I had. I couldn't care less about the recommendations... I want to know how it actually operates in my home.

I have the whole home PVR right now... if this new tivo service is cheaper and accomplishes the same thing, I'm on board.
post #52 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooper View Post
Cogeco is coming on Wednesday to install the new Tivo boxes.
There is a $60 install fee, and the new modem they force on you is $2.50/month to rent.
On the bright side, I qualified for the $5/month for 2 years promotion (because I have the current whole home PVR, apparently).
I'm pretty excited to get rid of the current abomination that's in my home.
Also; they did NOT make me get one of the new packages. I'm still on Digital Select 1.
I have the Whole Home PVR right now as well.

Are you saying the Tivo service has a similar setup? How much per month is it compared to the Whole Home PVR?
post #53 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-04, 03:09 PM

Smile Cogeco/Tivo Install Windsor

Had Cogeco/Tivo PVR ;two minis and a wireless modem installed in Windsor today.
Install took several hours due to downloading firmware and set up for every tv.
Installer was professional; knowledgeable and efficient; in other words excellent.
Had the whole home system before and from what I can gather after a short tryout is that this TiVo system is much, much, much better. The time lag before anything happens is gone. The software is far superior; the look and feel of everything is finally up to date.
Having Netflix and YouTube available through the PVR is far better then the Google Chromecast dongle that I was using.
The remote is set to IR and not RF; I will have to change that.
Installer set the TiVo remote so that it operates my other audio/video equipment. More info to come later.
post #54 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-04, 07:11 PM

So I was browsing the new Tivo material on Cogeco website. I'm really tempted to stay with Cogeco instead of switching to Bell. Couple of questions that come to mind:

- Can the iPhone/iPad app act as a remote control?

- Is the Tivo Mini receiver wireless or does it require RG6 or Cat5 connection?
Does it also come with an RF remote?
post #55 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto365 View Post
So I was browsing the new Tivo material on Cogeco website. I'm really tempted to stay with Cogeco instead of switching to Bell. Couple of questions that come to mind:

- Can the iPhone/iPad app act as a remote control?

- Is the Tivo Mini receiver wireless or does it require RG6 or Cat5 connection?
Does it also come with an RF remote?
Yes.
No, it connects via RG6/RG59
Yes.
post #56 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 12:49 PM

Netflix Movies

Watched two Netflix movies on the Cogeco/TiVo PVR. Excellent. No buffering for four hours of internet streaming. My google Chromecast dongle would buffer every 25 minutes for about 20 seconds. (very annoying)
I wonder what watching Netflix movies every night is going to do to my internet cap?
post #57 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 02:06 PM

Seems like the Cogeco bundles packages are more expensive than Bell. I really do like what I see in TiVo and was leaning towards the 55 Unlimited internet plan but after 6 months, once those promos fall off, the price gets dramatically higher.

What have people here who have signed up been able to secure in terms of pricing? I also understand there's a $60 installation fee?

Thanks
post #58 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 04:34 PM

Talking Cogeco TiVo requires 2 TV's?

Someone on another forum has written that you can't get TiVo service without having 2 TV's in your household, presumably so they can sell you the extra device that will allow you to stream to TV 2. I was skeptical on that assertion but thought I'd ask here.
So far, I understand it costs 20 dollars a month more than the Pace boxes, that there is a 60 dollar installation fee and it takes several hours to install since they also need to put in a new modem. I'd love to switch from the archaic software I'm currently using but still don't want to spend more money since I am at the absolute limit of my budget already with Cogeco.

Kingston-Pace RNG200N,Paradigm Studio 60 v3, Paradigm CC 590 v5, Anthem MRX 700, Panny VT-55, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP 105
post #59 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 06:24 PM

An official Cogeco rep posted on another forum that you must have two televisions in order to get the TiVo service.
post #60 of 381 (permalink) Old 2014-11-05, 06:39 PM

Sheesh...thanks for the reply..So much for TiVo in that scenario..

Kingston-Pace RNG200N,Paradigm Studio 60 v3, Paradigm CC 590 v5, Anthem MRX 700, Panny VT-55, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP 105

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in