Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cogeco TiVo service

Tags
tivo
183K views 380 replies 85 participants last post by  cableredneck 
#1 · (Edited)
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENTS AND OTHER

During the third quarter of fiscal 2014, the Corporation's subsidiary, Cogeco Cable Canada, recognized an impairment of $32.2 million of property, plant and equipment, capitalized wages and borrowing costs related to an Internet Protocol Television ("IPTV") solution project on which its Canadian cable services segment had worked. As a result of the unexpected performance issues encountered with the platform, it had to be abandoned by Cogeco Cable Canada. Subsequently, in order to enhance its competitiveness, Cogeco Cable Canada has concluded a partnership with TiVo Inc. ("TiVo"), a global leader in next-generation television services that enable viewers to consume content across all screens in and out-of-the home to be launched at Cogeco Cable Canada by mid-fiscal 2015. The TiVo solution was successfully launched in the first half of fiscal 2014 at the Corporation's Atlantic Broadband subsidiary with great customer acceptance.
Source: Quarterly Report PDF

"Mid-fiscal 2015" means Cogeco should start rollouts before March 2015, if everything does on schedule. Since they've done this in their U.S. subsidiary, the timeline is probably realistic.

TiVo guide PDFs

#363 ·
While I still have the older TiVo T6 DVR unit, I don't think wifi is actually required to use either unit. I think they are trying to say that you need internet through them WITH their supplied wifi router.

OT a bit but I notice they no longer show a "regular" DVR on their website under Receivers. They show the new TiVo box, the TiVo mini and a basic HD receiver. Does this mean TiVo units are the ONLY DVRs they offer now? I can't downgrade to a Pace 2-tuner unit if I decide to go with another internet/phone provider? I hope not.

#364 ·
I originally was intending to simply drive to my local Cogeco store and do a swap of my Pace PVR with a new one. They told me on the phone that they no longer hand out these models anymore and the only PVR they have is the Tivo model I mentioned. I then said ,OK, I will pick up one of them. They then replied that they have to send a technician out to do it because it cannot be installed by me. I asked them why and they said something about having to set up the wifi connection to the Tivo from my existing Cogeco modem.

#369 ·
We have a PVR which occasionally gives us trouble and on a recent trip to Pen Centre store to get a non working second TV HD box replaced I enquired about getting my older PVR switched. Was told I had to go through a service call and if it was faulty it would be replaced. They are obviously trying to get people switched to the TIVO system. It does seem that when needed they will replace the PVR for you.

I would switch but we winter in Florida and I use several cameras to monitor our house plus a Honeywell internet thermostat. I have read that it might be difficult to run my cameras through Cogecos router so am resisting a switch

#370 ·
I have a question with regards to the TIVO App I have set up on my Ipad. The app has loaded finer and I can see my Streaming Device listed (Tivo box in Living Room). I can see all the shows listed on the Guide. If I click on a Live Show it asks if I want to watch on TV or IPad. I click Ipad. ....its says Setting Up Streaming Session.....About 5 minutes later it says Problem with streaming device. ........ I then go to Start Setup........Steps 1 thru 4 are checked as OK.........Click Done...........It once again says Setting up streaming Session and once again comes up with the Problem with streaming device message. If I go into the App - Settings - System Information - Everything looks fine (Status,Ready,TSN#,Name,Version,IP Address,Mac Address etc)..................If I do Broadband Test it says - Scanning For Devices - Then a 5 second countdown window appears counting down from 1 to 5 over and over with nothing happening......I find it odd that the scan for devices comes up blank but it seems to be communicating with the box (eg: I can select a show and select a show and it will start recording........I just can't watch it back or watch it live)

#371 ·
Latest Cogeco TIVO Box - What Model???

I had a technician at the house today to replace one of my minis. He offered to replace my main Roamio box at the same time with the new 4K box. I asked him what model he was going to replace it with, but he couldn't tell me. Does anyone know what they are installing now? Is it the Bolt? I could not find it on their site anywhere. I use the Android app and PYTIVO quite extensively. Does anyone have pytivo working with the Bolt, or can confirm that it will work? I've heard that there are issues.... Not concerned specifically about 4K content....

Thanks.....

#373 ·
Anyone here using the Plex app? I'm a lityle frustrated that the Cogeco TiVo box can use the Plex app to play 4k movies on my NAS without transcoding the video file. Even my Sony Bravia 4k TV Plex app can do it but I would prefer to do it all with the Cogeco box if possible.

Anyone know if there are newer versions of these TiVo 4k boxes that would allow it to natively play 4k movies off the Plex app without any transcoding?

#374 ·
It seems the Cogeco has now started pushing out Tivo updates for the new Hydra interface... I got a warning message about it last week and two of my boxes got upgraded overnight. One of my minis didn't get hit - yet. My first impression is that it's as clunky and ugly as expected..... Ugh.....

#375 · (Edited by Moderator)
COGECO's New IPG For TIVO

Are others as underwhelmed by COGECO's New Programming Guide as I am for TIVO ? It looks attractive, but it doesn't have the features that I felt the old TIVO guide had that was different from all thee others I've seen. What I miss the most is the Sub-Categories of the various headings such as Movies; Sports; Kids, etc. For instance, if I wanted to see what special documentaries in history are showing, there doesn't appear to be sub-category for that. You have to look through the entire guide to find what you are looking for. At least Sports is a little easier if you do a Search for a particular sporting event or team. Maybe somebody could explain to me how this new Guide is an improvement over the old one.

#376 ·
I actually find the whole new interface way too slow. I don't know if the hardware we have is capable of running through the various menus in a quick enough manner. There's just a bit too much lagginess for my liking. My promotional offer ends in July and I have to think about what I will do. Really don't want to go back to Bell but also not sure staying with this is a viable option either. Can any others comment on their experience with the new interface?

#377 ·
I too find the new interface too slow and there is an additional step to delete PVR recordings. I am only a few mths into my current "contract" but the pricing is not great this time 'round. Bell Fibe is supposed to be in my neighbourhood this summer. I think I'll be switching (the new customers around me are getting 2 yr offers from Bell for good prices). I despise Bell, but it all comes down to cost for me. I'm Fine with switching every coupla yrs, chasing the best price...

#379 ·
If you can count to 5, you either count very fast or your hardware could be failing. Just my opinion.

This interface is definitely not instant...FAR from it. Overall, I don't find it that different in the grand scheme of things. I see a lot less of the blue circle of death that we used to get when the TiVo servers were busy on the old interface. I get info on the top of screen as I move through the guide, in a second....rarely longer. It takes time for my eyes to move to the top of screen anyways. ;)

There are things I like better in the new one, and things I prefer from the old interface. My only true pet peeve is the left arrow key doesn't go back anymore. That takes getting used to.

I think if they had different colour options (like the pre-HD iGuide), more folks would be okay with it.

#380 ·
Sorry, I should have said there are times when I can count to 5 between button clicks. It's usually when I'm in My Shows and I get the spinning ring and a service error message pops up occasionally as well. I agree about the colour options. They should have a Classic mode or something like that. There's a point upgrade to 21.9.1 that I hope Cogeco is going to update to. It's supposed to move My Shows to far-left column and show more info along with making fewer clicks to get to playing a show.

#381 ·
I am not sure if you would be interested in this, but there are Cogeco PVRs that are not Tivos. I have one it is an Arris DCX3520e-M. I decided a few months ago to get rid of the Tivo (a mistake - I miss the Tivo). I went to the Cogeco store and asked if they have non-Tivo PVRs. They did and gave me one. As for Bell, I wouldn't switch back. They have awful customer service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.