Question about Cogeco HD recorder/receiver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question about Cogeco HD recorder/receiver

i'm thinking about renting or buying the cogeco receiver with the recording feature

however, i want to record TV only to put it on my computer

How easy is it to record TV programs with the Cogeco HD receiver and then moving the files to my computer ? Is there a way to link it directly through USB or ethernet, or will i have to remove the HD each time ?

Also, what format will it use for recording ? I suppose i will need to convert it to divx ?

I would prefer to avoid buying a tv-card for my computer.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 03:10 AM

Someone else may know for sure, but I believe the recording on Cogeco PVRs is encrypted, so you can't use it elsewhere, even if you were to record a bunch of shows and then stick the HD in a PC.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Damn this sucks... it's useless to me then...

but isn't there receivers with recorders that can also burn content to DVD ? If so, it must be unencrypted if it's burnt on a DVD. However i am not sure the cogeco ones includes DVD burners

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 09:50 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The programming is encrypted on the PVR, however, it's possible to transfer the programming to an HTPC or to a DVD recorder via the "analogue hole". See the following post with various links to the topic - especially the Hauppauge for HD on an HTPC. The thread is in the Rogers forum, but holds for all providers.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50162

Quote:
How easy is it to record TV programs with the Cogeco HD receiver and then moving the files to my computer?
That depends on your level of competence. Most people would not call setting up an HTPC with Hauppauge "easy".

TV cards are little use since they can only receive analogue signals and all the digital signals are encrypted. There are only select analogue channels left and they will soon be gone as providers go all digital. The topic has been discussed extensively on the forum as you can tell from the many links.

Here's a useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah i remember running into this problem. I wanted to have cable on my HTPC but everybody has been telling me that i will get only a few channels That's why i thought about using Cogeco's own recorder, but i guess it won't change anything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in