Cogeco Whole Home PVR - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-02-19, 11:58 AM

I don't have a whole home PVR, but I did switch back to Cogeco from Shaw Direct about a month ago. We have more HD channels on Basic Cable than with our Shaw Direct package. If I were you I would leave Shaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-02-25, 06:56 PM

Any update jamcan? I am very very close at cancelling Cogeco Whole Home service. It locks up...slows everything down, and just unstable as heck.
post #93 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-02-27, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii
Everything was swapped out and I haven't had a problem yet. The system does lag however. Very slow. When I change a channel it takes a good 2-3 seconds for the picture to appear. VERY archaic for todays tech standards. Still get the "This channel will be available shortly" message, but the channel always does appear. Sometime I wait up to 5-8 seconds.

Last edited by 57; 2013-02-27 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

post #94 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-03-02, 01:52 AM

Well everyone, I did something today that allowed me to get access to a 4 TV solution using the MoCA 1.1 network that is installed with the Whole Home DVR system. I received a RNG200N receiver today from Cogeco (free for 2 years). I went into the Dashboard Diagnostics and enabled the MoCA network on it and disabled the internal hard drive. In 5 minutes, the box could communicate with the NAS Hard drive and can communicate to the Denali receivers. By doing this, the latency with all receivers improve 10-fold. I am so happy I did this!
post #95 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Seeking Feedback - whole home PVR and transferring from existing Pace RNG200N

Hi everyone,

We were pleased to learn that Cogeco is offering the Whole Home package, although based on what I've read in this forum so far, its not without its problems. I'd appreciate any current feedback on what I should realistically expect.

Also, we have a Pace RNG200N that is our current HD and PVR combo. I'd dearly like to retain any recordings that are currently on it and have not been deleted. Is there any way that I can do that? Can they be transferred to the new system? Can I copy them to another hard drive? Since I'm comfortable even building my own PC's, I'd be willing to open up the case, and temporarily remove the drive from the Pace unit, so that I can hook it up to a computer and copy everything off of it. My understanding from Cogeco is that they don't offer this capability.

Thanks.
post #96 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-05-31, 02:40 PM
Rookie

I'm moving into a new house and taking Cogeco's new home promo of three services free for three months. I decided to pay a little extra and bump up my TV to the whole home DVR, as I've always wanted to try this out.
I've always had Bell satellite for TV, so this will be a bit of a change for me.
How is the whole home DVR working for everyone that has it? Are you generally satisfied with it? I'll find out myself in a few weeks, but I'm just wondering if I should have high expectations or not.
post #97 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 10:15 AM

We've been quite happy with the Whole Home PVR installed in March. We had a few glitches to start out with but customer service was very tenacious with it. Turns out the Harmony Remotes do not map correctly to the Whole Home recording list and only shows the singular box. Once we figured that out, we were good to go.

We haven't had any recording failures or reboots. We use the remote recording online all the time with no issues. There is an iPad app as well for remote recordings which works very well also.

It's really nice to be able to record something in any room and watch it later somewhere else. Especially handy when falling asleep at night in bed and in danger of missing the end of a movie.
post #98 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ava0775 View Post
We've been quite happy with the Whole Home PVR installed in March. We had a few glitches to start out with but customer service was very tenacious with it. Turns out the Harmony Remotes do not map correctly to the Whole Home recording list and only shows the singular box. Once we figured that out, we were good to go.

We haven't had any recording failures or reboots. We use the remote recording online all the time with no issues. There is an iPad app as well for remote recordings which works very well also.

It's really nice to be able to record something in any room and watch it later somewhere else. Especially handy when falling asleep at night in bed and in danger of missing the end of a movie.
What do you mean by Harmony remotes don't map correctly with the Whole Home recording list? I use my Harmony and it works fine. I had to ad the "List" button but other than that, all is well.
post #99 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 09:20 AM

The Harmony remote does not automatically map correctly to the whole home List button, whereas it does to all the other buttons. You are correct, the List button has to be added manually. However, in a new install where we were not familiar with Cogeco in any way, we were unaware of this situation. So were the customer support and service techs we dealt with. It took many phone calls, many tech visits and one very tenacious tech who worked with a Pace engineer to give us that answer.
post #100 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-06-24, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Alright, I just had my Cogeco Whole Home DVR installed last week. Oddly enough, it's lacking the "whole home" part. I have a two TV setup, and the bedroom TV has no access to the DVR functions. Anytime I press the list button, it tells me that DVR functions are not enabled and I should call my service provider.

Any idea what the problem might be? I've called Cogeco and they're sending someone out, but I was wondering if I could fix it myself.

This is a bit of a trial phase for me. I've been told conflicting stories that Bell's Fibe TV is available at my new house (but maybe not), so if I'm not happy with Cogeco, I'm making the switch.
post #101 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 08:28 AM
Rookie

My Cogeco Whole Home DVR was installed 6 months ago and worked perfectly since. It's a 3 TV set up. I love it. I got the message about the DVR fonctions only two times: it was during the guide refresh. Nothing else.
I was with Shaw Direct, i will not switch back for sure.
post #102 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-07-10, 09:46 AM

We seem to have an issue that hasn't been covered in the thread. Two of the PVR units have stopped working. Power light was on but there were no error messages on screen. The TV does not display anything other than a black screen. The third unit did work briefly at first but has since stopped.

I unplugged the PVRs to reboot them. The boot happened but still the same issue. The only thing working was the time display on the PVR box. I went online to send the reactivation command but that only made things worse. The boot happened but then it powered off immediately and remained off. Now no time display is visible.

The NAS lights are on. I did not unplug the NAS, I wasn't sure if that would cause a problem but I see up thread that can be done so I will try that when I get home. We did have a bit of a NAS issue last week, in that the unit was showing 98% full (possible but didn't seem like it). We deleted some things and on the one box, it showed we were down to around 30%. When we checked later than evening on the other box, it still showed at 98% full even though the deleted items were not there. The next morning it seemed to be working fine.

A service tech appointment is scheduled but the first window that worked for me, even with a force, was Saturday 8-5.

Any ideas or tips on how I might tackle this myself before then?
post #103 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-07-14, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
Everything was swapped out and I haven't had a problem yet. The system does lag however. Very slow. When I change a channel it takes a good 2-3 seconds for the picture to appear. VERY archaic for todays tech standards. Still get the "This channel will be available shortly" message, but the channel always does appear. Sometime I wait up to 5-8 seconds.
Just an update. As mentioned, all was going well with the Whole Home PVR system until today. Once again, having issues. Was watching TV on the main floor but could not access my DVR. Blue screen saying "DVR is unavailable". Came downstair to the main home theater and had all green lights on my MoCa DVR drive box. Should be working? Turned on the system only to find that the screen is black and no picture. Hit guide and everything was To Be Announced witht he box "STUCK" on channel "0". On hold with Cogeco as we speak. This is issue #7 with the Whole Home PVR including 2 full swap outs of the equipement. and to think, I signed up on a contract for another full year to get a much better rate. RUN, RUN NOW.
post #104 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-07-17, 11:01 AM
Rookie

I've had a few issues with my WHDVR. I set a three hour recording on Monday night. The red light came on, and I went to bed. I tried to watch it on Tuesday. The screen flashed black for one second, and then asked me if I wanted to delete the recording. I said no, and tried again. Same thing. It didn't record the event, even though it said it was. When I went back to live TV, the screen was black again, and I had a message about the channel not being available.
A few times I've come home and turned on the TV and the cable box, and the screen is just black. I have to change the channel, and then go back to the channel that it was previously on. Sometimes, that channel will still be black.
Channel changes are very slow, and the screen pixelates for a second every time.
I'm not saying I'm completely unhappy with it, there's just been a lot of strange, random glitches.
post #105 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-08-19, 09:47 AM

Does the whole home PVR have an updated on screen guide? The motorola "preview" on guide screen in my opinion is out dated and needs a fresh look!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in