Cogeco Whole Home PVR - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 11:24 AM

August 28, 2012 The Whole Home Digital Video Recorder has arrived!

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/resid...ils.php?id=117

August 28, 2012
The Whole Home Digital Video Recorder has arrived!

It is with pleasure that we announce the arrival of the Whole Home Digital Video Recorder (DVR)! You have 2 or 3 televisions? The Whole Home DVR is the HD TV solution designed for you.

With this recorder, you will now be able to view, record and pause live TV or your recordings from any TV connected in your home.

Free yourself from TV guides without missing a moment of your favourite programs.
Watch and record up to 6 HD TV shows simultaneously.
Pause a recorded show in one room and continue watching in a different room.
Schedule and manage your recordings from anywhere, using Remote Recorder online.

With the Whole Home DVR, all of your recorded content is accessible from any HD receiver on your network and the same recording can even be played on as many as 3 TVs at the same time!

Interested? You can get more information by clicking here or by contacting us at 1-866-261-4447.

Last edited by 57; 2012-08-28 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Moved to appropriate thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 11:33 AM

Interesting! I wonder what the cost is going to be?
post #18 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 12:06 PM

I noticed the orange light come on my box last night around 1am. I figured it would either be a message or an update. I checked my messages, nothing. I unplugged my box and plugged it in 5 minutes later, same configuration numbers. I wonder what it could be. It's probably the Whole Home DVR, but I only have the one box/one HDTV anyway so it doesn't really interest me.

post #19 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 12:13 PM
Digital Sage

It is with pleasure that we announce the arrival of the Whole Home Digital Video Recorder (DVR)! You have 2 or 3 televisions? The Whole Home DVR is the HD TV solution designed for you.

Quote:
If you currently own or rent Cogeco terminals they are not compatible with this product.
post #20 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 12:18 PM

Red face

Is this the same type of hardware that Shaw is using?
post #21 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 01:01 PM

The cost of the Wholehome PVR is on the website. If I'm remembering right the price for 2 TVs is $23.99/mo for 12 months, and for 3 TVs the price is $33.99/mo for 12 months. The regular prices are $33.99 and $43.99/month. I think these figures are right, but I would advise anyone who is interested in this service to check the website or contact Cogeco.
post #22 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 01:08 PM

Yep, you're correct about the pricing, CableRedneck. They've updated the Cogeco website to show pricing now.

(*edit* Of course, it looks like the $23.33 is promo pricing, which means it's probably 'new customers only.')

I like the sounds of this, but since it's different hardware I won't be in a rush. I've got a crap-load of content on my RNG200N to watch.
post #23 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 09:27 PM

As to what kind of hardware, their FAQ gives a hint:

If I no longer want the Whole Home DVR service in my home how do I return the equipment?

If you decide you no longer wish to have the Home DVR solution in your home simply give us a call.* You can then return the equipment to Cogeco (Denali receivers, Pace NAS and the remote controls).
post #24 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 09:29 PM

ya as long as I can still use my pace box with one TV i don't care about this new feature I guess it works similar to Rogers net box. Plus right now I have a 2 TB hard drive attached to my Pace box I wonder if that would be affected in the future.
post #25 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-28, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Time to switch?

I'm currently with Bell satellite TV, and Bell is starting to frustrate me with missing channels and generally bad service. I've enjoyed my Bell PVR for the past few years, but I want to bundle all my services with one provider, and Cogeco internet is way faster here than Bell.

I really like the idea of a whole home DVR. I think this is going to push me over the edge to switch everything to Cogeco.
post #26 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-29, 10:39 PM

Personally I would wait for a while and make sure these boxes work. I am sure also they will offer some incentives once they start to advertise heavy.

Last edited by 57; 2012-08-29 at 11:52 PM. Reason: UQR
post #27 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-29, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr67 View Post
I guess it works similar to Rogers net box. Plus right now I have a 2 TB hard drive attached to my Pace box I wonder if that would be affected in the future.
This looks a little more advanced then the Rogers solution. The advertising says you can record up to 6 programs at once. With Rogers you can only record up to 4 at once and it requires two HDPVRs to do so.

From what I can see here it looks like Cogeco is using regular dual tuner boxes that are hooked up via MoCA to a NAS device to record. This seems like one of the better cable based WHPVR implementation as it likely allows you to pause live tv from any of the networked terminals. Does anyone know what guide software Cogeco is using for this service?
post #28 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-30, 07:59 AM

Does anyone know if these boxes have uhf remotes? Also can shows be played back on any tv in the house or only the ones with the pvr boxes....
post #29 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-30, 08:23 AM

I like this whole home idea - but I am going wait for a while to see how things pan out. I'll be reading here, that's for sure.
post #30 of 119 (permalink) Old 2012-08-31, 01:41 PM

I just put in an order to have the WWDVR installed on September 9th between 5-7PM. I will let everyone know how the install goes and how the service is when I get to play around with it. I was told that the terminals are Pace Denali 150N receivers hooked to a NAS Network Hard Drive, with a whole new look to the Guide. Kind of excited about this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in