Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There are several reasons why the Cable companies that support Motorola equipment do not wish to use CableCARD.
1. It can often be problematical, as was the experience in the US when it came out. It's not used much, even in the US.
2. The signal is one-way, so thay cannot diagnose issues from their end - like signal strength. Truck runs are expensive, and they wish to eliminate those.
3. It takes them more time/effort to activate since it's not part of their normal routine.
4. If there is a problem with reception, they can always say it's a problem at your end, whereas if you have their STB, the problem is theirs either way.
5. CableCARD is not compatible with Switched Digital Video, which a number of cable companies are/will be using to "increase" (better utilize) available bandwidth. (Apparently some newer "M" cards can be two way)
6. Obviously some services like VOD, IPG, etc are also not available.
7. Many of the Motorola STBs that were activated previously by various Cable Companies were stolen, so by declining all "outside" STBs, that trade in stolen STBs was eliminated.
There are a couple of CableCARD threads in this forum where this has all been discussed (a search for CableCARD will find them), however, let's not take this thread off topic. Please use it to discuss CableCARD and Cogeco systems that are actually working, or people having difficulty making it work. People, do not turn this into a CableCARD rant thread - those types of posts will be deleted.