Cogeco Analogue to Digital Migration - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 10:32 PM
Rookie

So I phoned them again today and said I wanted to buy another converter. They said I could only rent them. I said I didn't want to rent them, I wanted to buy the thing. Then they made the mistake of telling me I should just buy a new TV.

I asked to be transferred to customer retention.

I'm getting TWO converters shipped for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 10:36 AM

I got my converter today just letting you guys know i am in Fort Erie.
post #108 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 10:26 AM
Rookie

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the higher channel numbers on a digital adaptor? i.e. Sun News on 195? Or is it limited to 127 and below?

Last edited by 57; 2011-11-03 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Moved to appropriate thread.

post #109 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbg View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the higher channel numbers on a digital adaptor? i.e. Sun News on 195? Or is it limited to 127 and below?
There's no technical reason why they can't. If Cogeco says no, it's policy and nothing more.
post #110 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 12:30 PM
Veteran

digital adaptors should be able to tune in any digital channel that is available in your current package. if perhaps your package does not allow the channel, then that could be why.
post #111 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 02:20 PM
Rookie

I just hooked up my digital adapter to my media centre PC. I was able to pickup a few odd channels above 127. It seems to "decode" the channels that are free and not part of the paid for digital channels.
post #112 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 03:32 PM
Rookie

Antenna/OTA newbie here....

I moved to Burlington in June and signed up for Cogeco Cable internet - did not sign up for cable tv. After the cable internet was installed I plugged in TV into the cable and was getting about 30+ channels. Near the end of July/early Aug some channels stopped working and was down to about 20 channels...I think this was when 'everything went digital'.

I cancelled my Cogeco internet within a month and was still getting about 10-15 channels after cancelling (CBC, CFTO, etc.) then sometime in early Nov all channels stopped working.

I have a 2 year old LCD HDTV and when I scan both digital & analog channels, nothing is found. I've tried scanning the antenna & cable (since cable line was still plugged in).

Just curious why months after I cancelled their internet that I was able to get 10-15 channels and all of a sudden that stopped. Should I not be able to get any channels at all with just the built-in antenna on the TV or had Cogeco accidentally left my cable hooked up and in Nov disconnected it or something?
post #113 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 04:01 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There were some QAM channels that were unencrypted and are now encrypted. See post 2 and the last page of the following thread: Others have reported the same thing, as Cogeco does what most other providers do - encrypt all the digital channels (save perhaps the occasional free preview channel)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55234

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #114 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 04:16 PM
Rookie

thanks for the quick reply. I read through that channel and I'm not sure if it answers my question and/or maybe I don't understand.

To clarify: I have never purchased cable TV from Cogeco. Until Nov I was able to get analogue channels on my TV as I could see channels on an old CRT and on my newer HDTV LCD. Unless I misunderstand, those posts apply to digital and links that I found there refer to rent/buying digital boxes for customers....however channels seemed to be dying out. In Aug it seemed to be when everything went digital as I dropped down from 20-30 channels to just 10-15 and most weren't that good (business news channel, several in French, etc.)

Mainly I am trying to figure out if I am able or supposed to be able to get any analog channels anymore (the 10-15 I was getting until Nov). Or if I'll need to get an OTA or pay for Cogeco.
post #115 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 04:41 PM
Veteran

If you are not a paying customer, why on earth are you connecting the coaxial cable to your tv? are you aware that if you want to receive TV stations you must subscribe to a cable tv package from cogeco?

do they provide internet to your residence currently?
post #116 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 04:51 PM
Rookie

Of course I realize that!

I connected a cable from the TV to the wall outlet to see if I would get any channels and was getting 30+ channels when they were my cable internet provider and I just never unhooked it.

I cancelled them as my internet provider in Aug and was receiving 10-15 channels since then. I would receive these channels when I scanned with my tv for channels via antenna or via cable. Then in Nov all channels disappeared.

So I'm trying to figure out if I was getting these 10-15 channels via antenna and something happened in Nov to disable them. Or if Cogeco had left a line connected to my house accidentally and that's why I was getting those channels (then in Nov they ran an audit at my house/cable box on street and disconnected the cable).
post #117 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 04:57 PM
Veteran

they most likely put the required filter on the cable line in your house. This is why your channel count went down.
post #118 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 11:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
In your original post you didn't mention the old CRT for analogue channels. It's probably a combination of two things. Most service providers don't immediately put filters on the lines hoping that the existing or new customer decides to subscribe to TV. Truck rolls cost money. If, after a few months, the customer doesn't subscribe, they send out a truck roll to put in a filter to block the analogue channels. The digital channels are blocked by encryption (and/or perhaps the filter) and that is why they are now all gone and possibly explains why it happened in stages.

Since you're not paying for TV, you shouldn't be receiving channels (although in some instances, some (few) channels may still be viewable). The service provider doesn't care about those few.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #119 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-17, 01:05 AM
Veteran

....and those few channels left usually are local OTA channels anyway that you'll get in analogue SD... For each analogue channel that is removed, an encrypted QAM stream can have many SD channels, or a few HD, depending on various factors.

From my experience, connecting a cable from a TV to a cancelled cable service is a horrendous make-work project. :-)

The legality issue has been pounded so much that it's microns in thickness now...

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #120 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 06:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDAB View Post
....and those few channels left usually are local OTA channels anyway that you'll get in analogue SD... For each analogue channel that is removed, an encrypted QAM stream can have many SD channels, or a few HD, depending on various factors.

From my experience, connecting a cable from a TV to a cancelled cable service is a horrendous make-work project. :-)

The legality issue has been pounded so much that it's microns in thickness now...

Cameron
Thanks - not trying to do anything illegal (I won't be opening the box on the house or anything like that). I'm really just trying to figure things out here.

When I was getting channels while Cogeco was my internet provider I figured they made some kind of mistake or something like that. But once I cancelled most of the channels disappeared and I was only getting a handful and most were crappy. It seemed like these were free channels coming in off an antenna. When I scanned for channels on my HDTV with it set to "cable" as the source it seemed to give me most of the same channels as when I set the source to "antenna".

So long story short, am just trying to figure out what's going on here as I would like to get a few channels for free via antenna if possible. I don't watch much TV at all, but it would be nice to have over the holidays when guests come over to put on in the background / after dinner, etc.

My problem is right now with the cable plugged in or unplugged on the HDTV and CRT I can't get any channels at all. So just trying to figure out if I should be able to get a few on the HDTV/CRT without buying equipment (as I was for months but am not getting them anymore) or if I need to buy an OTA antenna and digital box.

Tags
cogeco , huawei

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in