Cogeco Analogue to Digital Migration - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-02-15, 06:05 PM

It would depend if the digital channels are in clear (unencrypted) QAM or not. If so, you'll be fine.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-02-15, 07:49 PM

Well, you think the CRTC would protect customers and require cable co's going all digital to provide clear QAM signals. That would be nice and customer focused.
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-02-15, 11:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
We have several clear QAM threads, so let's not take this thread off topic. Cogeco are supplying free STBs/adaptors.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-02-15, 11:50 PM
Veteran

These adapters tend to run in the $40-$50 range while a DCT700 (the cheapest Moto STB) tend to cost around $85.
post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 03:38 PM

Windsor ?

A friend of mine talked to Cogeco in Windsor, about returning his Digital Box, and was told not to bother because by early summer all users will require a box. You will not be able to go simply from a wall plate cable directly to a tv.

Don't know if anyone else has heard about this?
post #21 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Looks like the analogs are remapped to the 900's now.
post #22 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 10:17 AM
Rookie

Wow, I have noticed a HUGE difference in PQ. Not so much on the older tube TV's (27, 32") but on the 2 52" LCD's and 32" LCD.
Looking good so far and just might keep me from jumping ship now (as I was extremely close to satellite). Can't wait to see what's in store for the HD channels.

And just on a side note, seems it's clearQAM as HDHomerun picks them up, yay.
post #23 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Now that Chatham has the 900's would I be able to pick up the all digital PACE DVR receiver? I want to purchase one and return the older Motorola to Cogeco as I am renting it. Or should I wait a few more weeks until the old analoge system gets switched to digital?

Thanks
post #24 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Yes. I bought the Pace HD receiver in Windsor back in December and as of a week ago I'm now able to receive channels 2-73 on it in Chatham.
post #25 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-18, 09:00 PM

Analog versus Digital

With the conversion from Analog to Digital being announced (for sure), I am a little confused as to what we have already. On a digital box (Ancaster), what is the difference between channels 2-70 and channels 902-970? I believe I was told once that the 2-70 channels were digital and the 902-970 were analog but that can't be true because all US stations are digital and they show up in both areas and not all Canadian stations have both analog and digital yet. I beieve Cogeco just converts the digital signal to analog.

I guess one question would be, does it make a difference? Is the clarity of a SD station any better when it is a digital signal as opposed to an analog signal? Because I have a digital tuner connected directly to the cable, I will pick up digital stations and they don't seem any better than the equivalent analog stations.

Last edited by 57; 2011-03-18 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Post moved to existing thread.
post #26 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-18, 10:39 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. The fact that the original channel is digital has nothing to do with whether the cable service provider gives it to you in analogue or digital format, so yes, the 900 channels are analogue.

See: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90621

2. The digital channels are typically of better picture quality and less affected by signal strength in that you either get them or you don't (except for a very small range of signal where picture breakup occurs). Digital PQ is affected by the amount of compression, so a much watched channel usually has good PQ while a little watched channel may have less bandwidth and more compression artifacts.

3. Getting rid of the analogue channels will free up a lot of bandwidth that can be used for better picture quality and/or more channels.

4. Digital channels are also better for PVRs because then the bits are recorded directly bit for bit instead of having to undergo a conversion to be recorded.

post #27 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 11:02 PM

57, not sure why you moved my post into a Chatham post because I'm asking about current service, not future service and not in Chatham. Someone looking through topics isn't going to answer my question because they wouldn't expect it within that topic.

You didn't answer the question as to the difference between channels 2-70 and 902-970 on a digital receiver. If they are both analog, why have both? Doesn't it use up broadband doing this?

I have a Pioneer Kuro with a QAM tuner to which I connect the Cogeco cable (separate from the digital receiver which I watch through component). When I do a scan I will get channel 3 (Global) and 81.3 (I assume Global Digital). It basically picks up any basic digital stations available with a digital STB (non-subcription, non-HD channels). Is there a difference between the two? Is the 81.3 channel a true digital feed? Could channel 3 be a digital feed that Cogeco converts to analog? It's strange because the US station such as WIVB in Buffalo (17 and 81.5) are all digital but 81.5 is sharper than 17 (on the QAM/ATSC tuner). Does something get lost when Cogeco converts it to analog to be shown on regular cable? I'm just interested in what Cogeco does to various inputs.

Talking about future service, if the cable is connected directly to a ATSC/QAM tuner, won't it pick up the digital stations like it does now? Realistically, if you have a HDTV, you wouldn't be using that kind of connection anyways, you would be using the component or HDMI connection from the digital receiver to get HD (unless the adaptor supplies HD). My wife prefers to watch TV through the tuner on the Pioneer because she is used to the stations as they are set up on the bedroom TV (no STB).
post #28 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-20, 12:02 AM

1. This thread is not Chatham specific, it's about Cogeco going digital, per the title - I will change the title some more.

2. Chanels 2-70 on the STB are digital, not analogue. They are analogue on an NTSC tuner TV without STB. These channels can be mapped to any number - the numbers are meaningless on the STB.

3. See the following FAQ on QAM. Note that different providers and different areas can get different channels and the unencrypted channels could be encrypted at any time.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

4. Yes, any conversion is likely to lose you PQ.

5. Re "Future" see item 3 FAQ.

post #29 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-20, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick note to remind people that as of March 21, most analoge channels in Chatham will no longer be available. Only a small subset of analogs will continue to be used.
post #30 of 151 (permalink) Old 2011-03-20, 11:39 AM

Keep in mind that Canada is converting to all digital effective August 2011; similar to what the U.S. did previously. I recall there being a big push for analogue customers in the U.S to obtain a cable box or they would have no signal. I agree with some previous posts, it is likely that Cogeco is testing a few small markets regarding conversion before it becomes mandatory later this year in all markets.

Tags
cogeco , huawei

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in