Cogeco Pace DC550D Non-PVR HD Box Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDAB View Post
I think the person who redesigned that remote should have found another occupation. The previous design had fewer buttons with better placement. Now you need baby fingers and microscope just to select the functions...
Agreed! Plus I now have to unlearn 5 years of muscle memory on which button to push, it had become a second nature, now I've got to think and look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 08:23 PM

I'm gonna probably switch from the HD DVR to a regular HD box to save money on the bill, but also because it's too big for the new cabinet we bought to put the TV stuff in. What I wanted to know was how big width wise is the Pace DC550D? I would really appreciate the help, I looked online at their manual and didn't see anything on that.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 08:36 PM

10.5" wide by 2" high.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 10:19 PM

Thanks a lot! That's much smaller than the DVR, so I definitely will switch.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-06-13, 07:13 AM
Rookie

This box is terrible

I've had this box for about 2 weeks. Since then it has done the following too many times to count:

- Unit becomes unresponsive and freezes when performing any command
- Unit then reboots
- Unit loses all channel information
- Unit then becomes responsive

As a result you never know if it's going to respect doing what youv'e asked it to do (change channels, show the guide or channel information, and so on).

It's hooked up to the cable and then has an HDMI cable from the box to the TV.

When using regular analog cable it's fine. I was told by Cogeco that this box is the only non-PVR box they offer with an HDMI port. This is really disappointing as I was hoping to be able to use HDMI, but may have to test it with composite to see if it's an HDMI issue, or just a box issue.

My parents have 2 Motorola boxes, 1 PVR with HDMI and another with composite. I was talking to my folks and they said they've had very, very rare issues with lockups or lack of sound on the HDMI PVR box.

Has anyone else had these kind of issues with their Pace box? Reading on the Internet suggests it's the box.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-06-13, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Ours, purchased at a Cogeco authorized retailer, has been rock solid operationally, with the exception of the bizarre pillerbox option I've mentioned in this thread before and it's necessity with our LG panel, and that's using HDMI.

I'd suggest exchanging the box.

BTW, the Pace DC550D discussed in this thread does NOT receive analogue channels...

The Motorola boxes do, as they have an analogue tuner in them.

Can't speak for those with Pace PVR's, but there there are specific threads for those, and I'd suggest reading there too. That might help you as you source the problem(s).

I'd also take a look at the AC source for the Pace and TV, and is it filtered for power transients? Anything else "big" on that circuit?

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-06-13, 08:22 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You may also wish to check if you have the IR interference issue mentioned in the following thread. The tests/workarounds are also outlined there.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-07-16, 08:25 PM
Rookie

I just got this model for my LCD and when I hooked everything up I was missing loads of channels.

I left it for over an hour but I am missing the channels 2-100 and very few of the digital channels are working suck as TMN which I have subscribed to. Is this normal or should I call cogeco?

Thanks for any help.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The included paperwork claims you only need to hook it up. Unfortunately, that is in error. Call Cogeco with the box handy or upside down and give them the requested numbers so they can authorize the channels you're paying for.

I was skeptical of that info, but tried it anyway just to see what happened. A whole ton of stuff was authorized that shouldn't have been. I phoned and had it tied to our account and that fixed it.

As I posted previously, ours came via Cogeco authorized retail store (not their own sales outlet).

Note: the box does NOT have an analogue tuner, so you can't use it to view apartment building security cams etc.

Any other issues, read from the beginning of this thread. If your still stuck with anything, just ask.

Cameron

post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 08:51 AM

Hi folks,

Hopefully someone can answer a very silly and stupid question for me.

I'm in from out of town, and staying with my mother. She was given the notice about "upgrading" from analog to digital, so rather than having her just use the DTA, I talked her into getting a new TV (her old one was 35+ years old!) and getting HD service. She didn't want a PVR, so we picked up this received at FS.

Now I set it all up, and programmed the remote to match the Sony LCD she purchased. But it seems that she has to press the "TV" button on the remote, turn on the TV using the power button, and then press the "CBL" button to turn on the set-top box and change channels. The remote uses the set-top box volume instead of the TV volume. Turning off follows the same process in reverse.

I remember when I was with Shaw in Winnipeg, that I could press the power button and it just turned both things on and off at the same time, and the volume was TV but the channels were through the box. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Nevermind! Found the remote manual online, and set up master power. Not bad.

Is there any way of editing the guide to only show channels received? I know on my home provider, I can add/delete channels from the guide as needed. Possible with Cogeco?
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Not all providers allow that type of guide setup, although, it sure would be nice. To my recollection, Cogeco doesn't allow that degree of customization.

I haven't tried it, but you might try that through a favorites list. We aren't ones to surf the guide looking for things to watch. But hey, if it works, let us know.

Cameron

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 09:30 PM
Rookie

need help with Pace receiver

I decided to buy a Pace DC550D receiver for my new tv. I called it in but i still dont get any channels above channel 28. My motorola HD and no HD receivers still work and i get all the channels just not on the new pace?? any ideas

Last edited by 57; 2011-12-04 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 11:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Sounds like they didn't activate it properly. You'll likely need to call them again. Before you do, you could try a reboot - unplug, wait a few seconds, replug.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 05:38 PM

Pace DC550D HDMI signal loss issue

Five days ago my TV went blank and the no signal message popped up, yet the audio was working. I tried using a different HDMI cable and different inputs, but nothing worked. My last resort was to power cycle the box and sure enough it started working. It's been happening the past five days and I called Cogeco on the second day to report the issue. They said it was a known problem with the box and to continue to power cycle or use component cables in the meantime. I'm opting for the former as it would be a huge pain in the ass to change cables the way I have it setup. After it happened again on the fourth day, I called in and they gave me a week credit without any trouble after explaining the various issues I've had with this particular box. Not too bad from a company without any retention department.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 09:25 PM

Yup, happens every so often to me as well. I've had it with an HDMI cable and the component cables. Although it seems more frequent with HDMI than with component. (I've left it on component, although that's because my two HDMI inputs are used by other equipment.) As near as I could figure, it seemed to happen when switching from one HD channel to another. I just cycle the power when it happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in