Pace RNG200N HD PVR Owners discussion thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-01, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberry View Post
So began using the Pace full time last night and returned the 6416 this morning. Now noticed the series recording for Wifes Y & R is showing tomorrow with a red oval with a line through it and no red recording box for Friday but one for Monday.

Not sure whether this box has a problem with series recordings but can someone tell me what the red oval with the line through it means.
The red circle with the line through it means it's been set not to record.

I've had this happen occasionally, sometimes after power failures. I find the best course of action is to just completely remove the series recording through the menu and create a new one.

Hasn't happened here in some time now though *knock on wood*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-01, 11:10 PM

I'm having a problem going through the on demand menu's only. i can click the buttons a million times, but they wont move until 5 steamboats, lol (im serious). anybody else having this issue? the rest of the box works perfect, and responsive.

Last edited by 57; 2010-12-02 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote removed.
post #78 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 12:18 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
With On-demand, the signal has to go to the head end, the head end has to respond, then the signal/programme is sent back to the STB. Be patient with On Demand and only press the button once. If you stack up too many commands, the STB will likely shut down/reboot.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #79 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
The red circle with the line through it means it's been set not to record.

I've had this happen occasionally, sometimes after power failures. I find the best course of action is to just completely remove the series recording through the menu and create a new one.

Hasn't happened here in some time now though *knock on wood*
Thanks David,

I did as you suggested and cancelled the series then set it up again went to every day and checked for the series recording and found 2 with the red circle. Cancelled the recordings for those days then went back and cancelled the whole series and set it up again. After another check of each day going forward everything is good.
post #80 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-04, 07:45 PM

Picked one up at Oakville Place this afternoon.

I had called Cogeco a couple of months ago for something else and found out there is now a new PVR with a larger hard drive and ability to add an external drive, however I did not have time until today to pull the Moto for an exchange.

I was suprised the replacement wasn't a Moto, and a lot of reservation about this unknown brand, but I did a quick on-line search and found this thread, decided to gamble and get the Pace.

I plugged the unit in at 5pm, it started to count down from 9,999 and was down to 0 by about 5:30pm and shut off, I turned the unit back on, called Cogeco, waited 10 minutes on hold, and the agent activiated the box for me to start some additional download, perhaps the programming guide.

The indicator light turned off by about 6:15pm, so I turned the STB bak on, I can watch most programmings (no ON-Demand yet as I was told by the Cogeco agent) but there are no programing guide, which came on by about 30 minutes later.

However about 30 minutes after that the STB shut itself off, a "Boot" message was shown on the front display, then the STB shut off completely, then turned itself back on without loosing the channel I had been watching, but all the programming guide was lost again........

I'm hoping this is not a continuing problem, can't understand why the programming guide that was loaded then got wiped out!
post #81 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-04, 08:57 PM

Normal behavior. It was just downloading the latest software in the background, and once it completed, it had to reboot to initialize it. Won't happen again unless a firmware update is pushed out.

Also, Pace is no small unknown company; they're pretty huge in Europe.
post #82 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-04, 09:10 PM

So far so good.

At least the "stretched" programming guide is easy to see, can't say the same about the smaller blue channel number display though, the bigger orange color fonts were much easier to see, not a big issue though.

BTW, the remote from the Moto seems to be directly compatible with the Pace STB, saved a few minutes of programing. Although I sitll can't get my Yamaha receiver to work, as with the Moto STB.
post #83 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-04, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Rental is $18 and purchase is $500
Can't remember how much the Moto STB cost to buy 4 years ago, almost wished I'd bought it back then, instead of owning nothing after paying almost $850 over 4 years!

Kind of like renting an apartment I guess!
post #84 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-05, 12:14 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Although I sitll can't get my Yamaha receiver to work, as with the Moto STB.
This is a common issue with Yamaha and some other AVRs that have discrete codes for on/off. You can turn it on or off, but not both. Suggest a Harmony remote if you need to have that functionality. If you try the Yamaha codes, you'll likely find one that can control the volume and this is usually good enough for most people.

Some of these remotes are learning remotes, which would be covered in the operating manual for the remote. If so, then you could "teach" the remote the discrete on or off code to an unused button.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #85 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-05, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviography View Post
So far so good.

At least the "stretched" programming guide is easy to see, can't say the same about the smaller blue channel number display though, the bigger orange color fonts were much easier to see, not a big issue though.

BTW, the remote from the Moto seems to be directly compatible with the Pace STB, saved a few minutes of programing. Although I sitll can't get my Yamaha receiver to work, as with the Moto STB.
You can increase the brightness of the front LEDs to make them easier to read.

With the box powered OFF, press the Menu/Settings button on the remote. From there, go the the Front Panel Display section and set the brightness to High (I think the default is Standard, there's also Low). You can set individual brightness levels for when the box is On and in Standby.

Still a little harder to read than the orange LEDs. But I prefer the look
post #86 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-05, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Harmony 890

Experienced similar issues in regards to the boot cycling, turned out that I had not seated the cable right.

I have my home theatre in a closet and am using a Harmony 890. All working well with the 6416, however when I upgraded to the RNG200N I noticed the page up/down buttons don't work using the Pace RNG200N as the selected PVR.

Before I go and program this manually I was wondering on the off chance if anyone has the set up and experienced anything different. If so what settings did you use.

(Moderator: this may qualify bumping to another thread, just wanted to iron out if this was a RNG200N settings issue with Harmony)
post #87 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-05, 10:08 PM

I use the Harmony One and just switched over to the rgn200n from the 6416. I didn't have to change a thing. Everything with the remote works exactly the same.
Good luck.
post #88 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-05, 11:07 PM

I guess I really have only one gripe after a couple of days, that there isn't a front panel on/off switch.

I know it sounds strange, but I actually prefer using the power switches of the Pioneer TV, the STB, and the Yamaha AVR because the Yamaha requires manual on/off due to its non-standard on/off code, so I've gotten very used to just turn on and off all 3 devices manually when I had to walk up to the Yamaha anyway...........

So now I've got to change that habit/pattern I've gotten used to over the past 4 years!
post #89 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-07, 09:12 AM

Swapped my 6416 for the 200N yesterday at Limeridge without any problem. Plugged it in and had it up and running in <30 mins. Unit unexpectedly rebooted about an hour or two after the initial download but not a big deal.

Was told by the CSR 'I really shouldn't be doing this because we are only supposed to swap like for like', meaning 6416 for same model. Asked her why since rental price was the same and she said it's what they're being told presumably from corporate. Guess she did me a solid so I said thanks.

Love the small size of this unit. No complaints about the 'stretched' iGuide, the image isn't distorted or anything like that so full screen works for me. Can't say I've noticed a difference in how quickly the iGuide responds but didn't have any issues in the first place.

The 200N worked with my Harmony 880 perfectly. Didn't need to make any changes.

Haven't used this unit a lot yet but so far so good. Stoked about having the extra space and expandable storage option.
post #90 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-12-07, 02:56 PM

Just had the "Guy" come out to install my RNG200N. As it was a new hook-up (switch from BTV) they did it. It fired up fine, "boot" then count-down from 9999 took about an hour. The installer left me on my own, not wanting to wait for the count-down to complete. So here I am, count-down is finished, but machine is still unresponsive, still waiting....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in