Pace RNG200N HD PVR Owners discussion thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-13, 02:17 PM

I have my rng200n up and running now. running without any problems.. just need to figure out how to have SD channels output as 4:3/480i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-13, 02:28 PM

Go into the Pace's User Settings Menu (turn the box Off and then press Settings), then set "Auto Pillarboxing" to On.
post #33 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-14, 07:44 AM

^thanks. that seems to help. just kind of sucks that the ugly guide is always stretched to 16:9. on a large screen it really looks bad.

post #34 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-15, 01:02 PM

Well, my DCT6416 passed away last night after only 6 months of precious service and I was very happy with it. The cogeco technician replaced it for a RNG200N, I live in Shawinigan, QC and he told me that the 6416 was discontinued.

It's been connected for almost 5 hours, I've tested the PVR functions and everything is fine. It took about 20-30 mins to get the firmware and less than 5 mins to activate it with the customer service. Now everything is back to normal.

What I like :

- Very small compared to the 6416. It's black, it looks good and it's very silent.
- The image quality is very good, it must be only an illusion because it's a new unit for me, but I find the HD channels and SD channels as well to look better.
- The sound is also very good. No problems at all with the 5.1 DD channels.
- 500G wow! I had 160G before and I was happy. What more can I ask?
- The EPG is full screen even on the HD channels and the clarity is perfect.

What I don't like :

Well, I'm gonna have to wait a couple of days to test everything, but so far I am very happy with the exchange and the receiver!
post #35 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-15, 01:13 PM

Can't wait for your final review
post #36 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-15, 09:59 PM

i purchased one today, and all it does is say "boot" then "oob" then "dt590" then flips back to "oob". I called tech support, and they said to go back to future shop to swap it, grr.
post #37 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-15, 11:45 PM

Jimmycooper had the same issue. You'll have to stick with a Motorola unit until they figure out what's causing problems with the RNG200N in certain areas.
post #38 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 05:58 AM

I've been using the the new unit for about 3 days now, and the difference from the motorola is quite noticeable. Its just much quicker at everything, changing channels, navigating through menus, skipping through recorded content. So much nicer, just no lag at all.
post #39 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 12:41 PM

One issue I've noticed is every time the power goes out here, we lose all the info of our recorded programs. The titles remain and the recordings are fine, just no info.

Slight annoyance since the power does like to flicker a lot around here with the construction going on.

I might just buy a battery backup anyway. I'm getting tired of the TV and cable flickering on and off and interrupting recordings regardless.
post #40 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 09:25 PM

UPDATE - just to let everybody know, here's the update with my RNG200N.

I left it unplugged last night after I was getting the 'oob' message on the panel, and a weird number cycling with boot. I came home from work today, and a coworker (I work for a cable company, not cogeco) advised me that sometimes cogeco's backend is slow to update in some areas, with serials of dstb's and such. He recommended I try it when I get home and that I did. The RNG200N locked on and started to download and set up right away. I'm watching and recording now as I speak.
post #41 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 07:30 AM

Thumbs up UPDATE

Well it's been two days since I've been playing with my new toy and I didn't find any major problems. The only problem I encountered was a minor one, it was about creating multiple recordings for a show, but the reason behind this error was propably the fact that the EPG was not fully downloaded. I can now record all my favorite shows without having to do it manually.

So far so good, It is a flawless transition and a very nice light, quiet and great looking receiver!
post #42 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 11:46 PM

does anybody notice a delay with the RNG200N on the On Demand menu's?
post #43 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 09:02 PM

Has anyone come up with a good use for the 2 macro keys on the remote?
post #44 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-19, 03:43 PM

Where are people finding these units? I tried Oakville Place and they said that only a couple had been delivered to them and they were gone. Wouldn't even go in the back room to see if there were any more.

Suggested I come back in a month, by which time they should have had time to box a sufficient number of these units.
post #45 of 650 (permalink) Old 2010-11-19, 04:23 PM

Sorry. I was asking about the Pace RNG200N HD PVR. The Cogeco outlet at Oakville Place was less than helpful in letting me know when I could get hold of one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in