Pace RNG200N HD PVR Owners discussion thread - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 07:36 AM

Ctaver,

I kept the Pace unit because unlike you, I've already returned the Moto unit for the larger drive of the Pace unit, I did not notice these little Pace quirks right away, and it's a moot point for me now several weeks afterwards.

Another element which you may want to do an A:B comparison of is if you find the Pace as "snappy" in its response to the remote control inputs as the Moto box, I recall reading someone suggesting it is, however I honestly can't say I find the same, if anything I would expect a noticeable improvement from a unit that is 4 years newer in design, which is a lifetime in the technology world.

Lastly, I never tried this with the Moto, but a girl at work was asking me how many shows can this Pace unit record at the same time (apparently some DVR in the US can record up to 4 shows at the same time according to her, not sure how accurate that is)? I had to try it to find that it can record 2 shows at the same time, but you cannot watch a third show while doing so. I'm curious if the Moto unit could record more than one show at a time, can you please confirm while you still have the Moto box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctaver View Post

Unlike a lot of you I am doing this risk free,instead of trading mine in for one at a retail location,they are mailing me one through Canada Post within 4 days.So if anyone wants to know were to get one there you go....
If you buy the box from Best Buy/Future Shop this also is "risk free" as you can test the box for 30 days, if you don't like it's performance or functionality compared to the Moto boxes simply return it. This way you don't get charged rental fees for "testing" the RGN200N.

Having both an RGN200N and the Moto 6416, I can say I really don't notice a difference between the two other than the much larger recording capacity of the RGN200N (500GB vs 160GB on the moto), and of course the box look (smaller).

I did have a quirk here or there when the box was first activated, however I have been using for approx 1 month without any issues at all. I think with any forum like this you will find problems with any of the boxes (that's why we come here).

Personally, I prefer the Pace box over the moto 6416, simply for the recording capacity and the ability to add more storage via external HD.
post #153 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviography View Post
Ctaver,

Lastly, I never tried this with the Moto, but a girl at work was asking me how many shows can this Pace unit record at the same time (apparently some DVR in the US can record up to 4 shows at the same time according to her, not sure how accurate that is)? I had to try it to find that it can record 2 shows at the same time, but you cannot watch a third show while doing so. I'm curious if the Moto unit could record more than one show at a time, can you please confirm while you still have the Moto box?
On the Moto 6412/6416 you could record 2 shows at once but not watch a 3rd. Same with the Pace box. Basically both have two tuners to work with, you can record/watch different programs or record 2 at the same time.

Some US cable tuner cards can record 4 programs at once (Ceton Infinti, I think) but to my knowleged these are more for Home Theatre PC's rather than boxes the Cable Co's supply.

post #154 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 03:45 PM

Quote:
]DavidT,

5400 rpm hard drives have been around for a long time especially in laptops, this is not new technology,its funny you do not mention having this issue yourself??? The main ingredient of a PVR is in fact a hard drive,could it be possible that Pace does not know what they are doing & putting a sub standard Slow 5400rpm Hard Drive in these units that drastically hampers performance??? that would make them no better than Cogeco.

That's exactly what I want to do next after spending $500.00 on a Pace PVR,replacing the hard drive.

If I put in a 7200rpm drive it will be an external eSata Western Digital.Even Better Idea lets try a 10,000 rpm VelociRaptor.

Before ever having a feeling about the hard drive being the problem, I would first assume it is the usual culprit....the Cogeco Software/Firmware.

This is exactly why I am going to test this DB for myself,you can bet I will be giving you the straight goods on this box,when I am done with my test.

Do you remember a while back there was a serious slow down on all the commands sent to the DB, it was pretty much unusable for a while until Cogeco fixed the problem.
I'm quite aware of how long 5400rpm drives have been on the market, thanks. That doesn't mean it isn't slower.

The RNG200N uses a Western Digital AV-25, 2.5" 5400rpm drive. This drive is designed for silent operation, low heat output and low power use. Obviously, this drive is going to be slightly slower.

Also, I did mention that both Pace boxes (including the now retired 777D) respond slightly slower to the skip commands.

The reason I kept mine is because aside from this quirk, it's better than the Motorola DCT6000 series in every other way. They're smaller, quieter, cooler, use less energy, are much more responsive in other areas of the software and have a much larger recording capacity.

For the most part, the slower skip times won't bother the majority of customers (assuming they even notice). The only reason I am considering replacing the hard drive is purely out of nerd-induced curiosity. There's no need to do so.

There's also no need to upgrade from your Moto. If you're happy with it and don't want any of the improvements the Pace box has to offer, then by all means, keep it!

Once I swap the hard drive I'll let you know the skip time improves or not. Then we'll know if it's the hard drive or software that is responsible.
post #155 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 08:33 PM

Harmony One with RNG200N replacing Moto 641x

Just replaced my Moto 641x with the Pace RNG200N. After reading comments here, decided to try my Harmony One still set up with Moto codes in all activities and commands instead of diving into reprogramming it.

Serendipity ... it works like a charm. No reprogramming necessary. Everything I had programmed for the Moto works with the Pace. Nice!

Undoubtedly, some day I'll connect my Harmony One to change something else and Logitech will download some update for the Moto that will disturb its compatability, and then I'll be faced with reprogramming. Reprogramming is like taxes ... defer as long as possible!
post #156 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 10:58 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't think there would be any remote command structural changes for quite some time as there are just too many remotes out there covering everything from DCT-1800's right through the DCT-6XXX series and now the Pace boxes. I returned the DCT-6200 HD box and bought the Pace DC500D. Didn't change any commands on the Harmony One either. Only change noted is now the Cogeco remotes have added a "D" button, which the Harmony doesn't have yet. But I don't think those have been programmed yet anyway.

The newer remotes from Cogeco drive me nuts having all those tiny blue buttons surrounding the top of the arrow keys. Hard to read, tiny to press and illogically placed. Really bad design IMO. The previous remotes had fewer buttons above the arrow keys and they were larger and placement made more sense. Progress? :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #157 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 01:14 AM

I also picked up the Pace RNG200N on Boxing Day in Kingston for 399.00 and called in and they added the 250 credit even though I wasn’t a new HD customer. I just got tired of renting the Moto 6416 and I noticed after the last guide upgrade I had problems with my 6416 freezing when I did commercial skipping. I attached an esata 2 tb drive and when i did it asked me to reformat no problems the only thing i wasn’t sure was how many gb of the external drive the box could see. One of the techs told me how to get into the Cogeco display menu now I can see that I have a 500 gb hd attached and ext hd that shows 2 TB so far I’m really happy with the Pace box its responsive tons of storage and instead of paying the 17.99 rental fee every month if the box lasts 9 month then I have my investment back it’s a risk I’ll take.
post #158 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 02:51 AM

***Pick Up The Pace***

My brand new Pace RNG200N arrived today(Thur.Dec.13).
First thing I should tell you is not everyone wiil have the same Software/Firmware versions for this DB,so my experience may be different than others. Mine is different than what DavidT has reported.

Aviography,

Could you post your S/F versions(Others can post as well). First of all I did not have to do any A/B comparisons, I have had the Moto 6416 & 6412 for a long time, I know them inside out. I will notice any little change or quirk that comes up. The Pace like the Moto has 2 Tuners therefore it can only tune 2 channels or record 2 different channels. You can record two shows & watch one of your recorded shows as well.

DavidT,

I was not suggesting that you did not know about 5400rpm drives,I was trying to make a valid point.
I am also up on all the specs for this unit as I mentioned in my post,I do my homework, research, so that I can be an informed consumer, so yes I knew about the Hard drive this is one of the things that impressed me about this DB the fact that they put in a WD Hard drive, I have been
using them for a long time & never had a problem(good quality)

Smaller, Quieter,Cooler,Less Energy Consumption Bigger Hard Drive...was not on my list of must have's.I did not find the Moto loud or overly hot.After exchanging about 4 of these boxes when I got my first HDTV they finally gave me a brand new box (6416) to rent, from then on everything was great except of course the problems with S/W. F/W

What I look for in a DB is Reliability,Picture quality,Sound quality,Consistent Signal quality,which means NO Sound Drop Outs,Freezing.
A responsive remote.

I really do not care what people do it's none of my business, I know I do not need to do anything,but I am testing this DB because I want to stop renting & buy, but I was not going to pay &500.00 for an outdated Moto box, that is not future proof. Look what happened to all the people who jumped on the band wagon... (777 db) etc. I was in no hurry.

Mikester,

Yes thanks I know about all that, Futureshop & Bestbuy do not have any, look at their web sites, Futureshop only carries the 550, best buy the 788
not the RNG200N. Nobody has the new boxes in my city,already checked. I also did not want to buy yet,I have always had 2 boxes & will keep my 6416 as well. I have rented this long another month will not kill me.

Download,Activation went smoothly,no probs...
So far I am impressed with this little DB,but first just some observations... the Pace setup screen has lousy Text, looks like something out of an 80's computer game,The one thing I did notice right awway was the slow channel changing when your tuned to a channel your are not subscribed to then press channel up or down it is Slooow. I tend to scan through the lineup at least once a month to
see if there are any free previews,so this would be time consuming.

Under TV Display Capability I said no to everything but 1080i. I have it connected to a Pioneer Elite HDMI receiver,(Panasonic LCD 1080P 120Hz)& set the video output to 1080P,Picture quality & sound are awesome.The specs say the Pace has HDMI 1.3a, I have no handshake issues. Recorded a couple of programs.... did not find any problems
with 5 minute skip,FF RW etc. Pausing it did not cause it to Freeze.

In IMHO this DB is definitely an improvement over the Moto's.

I see that ABC HD & Fox HD broadcast 720P the others are 1080i. I like the full program guide on HD. Now when I switch between HD & SD there is no lag my SD & HD are all output at 1080i.

The Pace does have impressive specs..Mpeg 4,Dolby Digital Plus 1080P,it even picked up that my TV (EDID) was 1080/24p capable. that is if Cogeco will ever support all this.

Now on to the dismal part of my review,yes I agree with others that the remote blows big time. It always seems that people who design these things never use the equipment. The Info button is insane,then you have a Menu button & Settings button that does the same thing, instead of the settings button taking you directly to Settings.

After all this time still no way to just press a button to get to your future recordings. 4 button presses as someone else mentioned. Just a simple question for all , I noticed that the cord that plugs into the Power Brick does not push in far enough it is not flush,is this supposed to be normal, I thought they gave me the wrong power cord.

Will report anything else I find.
post #159 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yes thanks I know about all that, Futureshop & Bestbuy do not have any, look at their web sites, Futureshop only carries the 550, best buy the 788
not the RNG200N. Nobody has the new boxes in my city,already checked.
NOT true, both Futureshop and Bestbuy carry the RNG200N, I bought my RNG200N from Best Buy. Futureshop has them in store (not on website), you have to look at the box label. In store they still call them Moto6416's even though they are the new Pace Boxes. When mine arrived, it came in a Cogeco branded box that had the Motorola logo on it, under model # the "other" box was checked, the UPC code on the box showed RNG200N. I can't speak for your local availability, but all the stores (both FS and BestBuy) closest to me had 10+ units available.

Here is the text from the Best Buy Site, notice the Model #:

Cogeco Pace HD-PVR Digital Cable Box (TDC788D)
Model:RNG200N | Web Code:10157796

Enjoy high definition cable TV and Dolby Digital sound with the Cogeco TDC788D HD PVR Digital Cable ... More Info
post #160 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 02:17 PM

How do I turn this unit 'off' (send to standby) when a scheduled recording is taking place.
post #161 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 02:21 PM

You just press the power off button from the remote, the recording session will continue until it is completed.

However, you can always just leave it on and turn off your TV and audio receiver etc.
post #162 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You just press the power off button from the remote, the recording session will continue until it is completed.

However, you can always just leave it on and turn off your TV and audio receiver etc.
No if I do that, it says a recording is in progress and it will stop. Just like the ancient 6412.
post #163 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 02:53 PM

Not on mine PACE unit and IIRC also on the Moto unit. I just tried the PACE unit when I pressed the off button on the remote, it won't shut off but keeps on recording, actually the video output will show a pop up screen asking you to select either continue recording or stop recording and turn off.

While I can't test it now, IIRC the unit does shut off by itself at the end of the recording, it's not a big deal to me if it doesn't turn off as long as it stops recording.
post #164 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Not on mine PACE unit and IIRC also on the Moto unit. I just tried the PACE unit when I pressed the off button on the remote, it won't shut off but keeps on recording, actually the video output will show a pop up screen asking you to select either continue recording or stop recording and turn off.

While I can't test it now, IIRC the unit does shut off by itself at the end of the recording, it's not a big deal to me if it doesn't turn off as long as it stops recording.
Maybe I'm misreading it. I thought that "stop recording and turn off" was turn off the recording immediately and shut off the box.
post #165 of 650 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 03:35 PM

You are correct, what I was trying to say is that the box cannot both continue recording AND going to standby at the same time, it will continue to record if you select that propmpt when you press stop while it is recording, and then shut off (IIRC) at the end of the recording, or it will shut off immediately if you select "stop recording" option at the prompt when you pressed the Stop button on the remote.

BTW, how are folks quoting the replies from another member? I'm not seeing that setting on a quick look, never experienced this issue with other vBulletin sites I'm on where there is always an option box at each posting for others to quote the posting in their reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in