Does Eastlink use IPv6? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Does Eastlink use IPv6?

Hello;

I would like to know if Eastlink uses IPv6 and if so how would I properly switch my router over to it from IPv4?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 03:14 PM
Veteran

I did a quick search and didn't find much about IPv6 with them. Is there a user forum where you can ask? Perhaps call the help desk? As for enabling, that depends on what you have. Some modems support it and some don't. Are you using the modem in gateway mode? Or is it in bridge mode, with your own router? If your own, it has to support IPv6 too.

I've had IPv6 on Rogers for almost 4 years. I have a Hitron modem in bridge mode and use pfSense for my firewall/router.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

I tried live chat with Eastlink yesterday and the idiot there had no clue what I was asking about, all he said they had was wired and wireless Internet So to try and discuss internet protocols was way over his head. Eastlink doesn't appear to have a forum on their site.

I have the Maestro PVR but recently upgraded to Eastlink's 940Mbps service and received the Hitron CODA 4582 in order to allow those speeds so it now is my modem, not the Maestro. I see in the Security -> Firewall area there is a section for IPv4 and IPv6. I see in the Gateway area residential gateway is enabled along with UPNP. I don't see anything relating to a bridge mode setting.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 04:21 PM

Does Eastlink use IPv6?

Windows “prefers” to use IPV6 when it is available. So you could use ipconfig /all On your pc to see if you have been allocated an IPV6 prefix. Which will look similar to
2607:4444:5555:666E::/64. The 260x will be there, the other blocks will just be some hexadecimal. where I have put :: you would see 4 more blocks of 4 numbers.

Also you wouldn’t ‘switch over’ to IPV6 you will be using it as well as IPV4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

So I just did the ipconfig and I do have an address beside the six IPv6 entries. Those are:

IPv6 Address
Temporary IPv6 Address
Temporary IPv6 Address
Temporary IPv6 Address
Link-local IPv6 Address

None of them start with 260. The 1st 4 entries have 8 blocks of 4 values and each of those 5 entries above end with either (Preferred) or (Deprecated), they alternate as follows:

IPv6 Address - (Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address - (Deprecated)
Temporary IPv6 Address - (Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address - (Deprecated)
Link-local IPv6 Address - (Preferred)

The Link-local IPv6 Address is comprised of 5 segments, not 8 and looks like 1234::5678:9098:7654:3212%34

Just under the 5 IPv6 entries is my single IPv4 Address and it's designated as Preferred

A bit further down, under the DHCP Server are 2 more possible IPv6 related entries:

DHCPv6 IAID
DHCPv6 Client DUID

How this interest all came about was I had just recently read that for Xbox IPv6 is preferred and my Xbox is currently showing only IPv4 with an open NAT.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Try pinging ipv6.google.com. There is also a test site, Test your IPv6. which will tell you a lot.

Normally, you will have a link local address, which starts with fe80. Then, if you're using SLAAC, you will have at least 2 global addresses, one is static, based on the MAC address or a random number and 1 - 7 privacy addresses. You get a new one every day with the ones older than 7 days dropping off the list. The newest privacy address is the one used for outgoing connections and the static one, for incoming. The older privacy addresses are kept active to support existing connections, but not used for new ones.

As for the number of segments, one thing that's happening is "::" represents a string of zeros, of whatever length required to fill out the address to 128 bits, so those 5 segments represent fe80, a string of 0, and the least significant 64 bits of the address. You can only use :: once in an address.

The IAID is the interface identifier and the DUID is the device identifier. As for 260, that depends on your ISPs prefix block. Currently, global addresses start with 2 or 3.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01...tid/index.html

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

I can't ping ipv6.google.com or get the page to load by going there via a web browser.

All of the IPv6 addresses I have start with either fd or fe and when I go to Test your IPv6 it says I don't have a IPv6 address. Clicking on the more info link it mentions addresses starting with fe, fd, fc or :: are unable to work with the public IPv6 Internet.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 06:51 PM
Veteran

Then you don't have IPv6 from Eastlink. The fc & fd addresses are what's called Unique Local Addresses and are the IPv6 equivalent to RFC 1918 addresses on IPv4. Fe is for the link local address.

On Rogers I get a /56 block of addresses, that start with 2607. A /56 prefix contains 256 /64s, each of which contain 2^64 addresses. That's 18.4 billion, billion x 256 total. That compares with 4.3 billion for the entire IPv4 address space.

Does Eastlink have a user forum, as Rogers does? If so, that would be the best place to find knowledgeable people.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank

Unfortunately Eastlink doesn't have an online community. I'll try during the week to call tech support, I'll probably have to get through to tier 2 support for anyone to have a clue what I'm talking abut.

So these local IPv6 addresses I see, those are essentially useless to me? I can't really do much if anything with them with respect to the devices in my local network which are currently all assigned IPv4 IP addresses?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 11:15 PM
Veteran

What is providing those addresses? With Rogers, with the modem in gateway mode, both global and ULA addresses are provided, but ULA are not provided in bridge mode.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

It must be my modem providing them although I can't find anything indicating such within the modem's settings.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-17, 12:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
How this interest all came about was I had just recently read that for Xbox IPv6 is preferred and my Xbox is currently showing only IPv4 with an open NAT.
My understanding is that the Xbox requires IPv6 and Microsoft used Teredo tunnels to provide it over IPv4. I seem to recall hearing something recently, about it being shut down.

It's a real shame how some ISPs are dragging their feet on IPv6. Bell still doesn't have it. Rogers has for almost 4 years (In fact, they were providing it years earlier with 6to4 and 6rd tunnels) and Telus even earlier. I've been running IPv6 for almost 10 years, but the first 6 were with a 6in4 tunnel. Rogers also provides IPv6 on my cell phone. In fact it's IPv6 only. It uses something called 464XLAT to provide IPv4 when needed.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-22, 10:29 AM

Bryson. I mentioned the address starting with something like 26xx to show you had a real routable IPV6 address as the 26 is the segment assigned to North America for IPV6.

It certainly appears that Eastlink does not provide IPV6 and as Jamesk says that is just wrong nowadays.

I am on Rogers as he is and I have a browser plug in that shows the IP address of the site I am visiting. Most of the “big” sites like Amazon, Facebook,Google all support IPV6 now and have done for some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-11-22, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Bryson. I mentioned the address starting with something like 26xx to show you had a real routable IPV6 address as the 26 is the segment assigned to North America for IPV6.
At the moment, only addresses starting with 2 or 3 are used for Global Unique Addresses. That's only 1/8 the entire IPv6 address space. There are other blocks for Unique Local Addresses (IPv6 equivalent of RFC1918 addresses on IPv4), multicast, link local and more. Yet well over 3/4 of the address space is unallocated for any purpose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in