Eastlink Wireless: Opinions, Experiences? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-17, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Question Eastlink Wireless: Opinions, Experiences?

Thought I would start a thread devoted to Eastlink wireless. Switched over from Telus a few weeks back when the new iPhones launched. Was a very loyal and happy Telus customer, but made the change because Eastlink was the only local company offering the iPhone on an installment plan. So far, quite satisfied with the service.

There have been a few hiccups, but that is to be expected. The LTE speeds are impressive when you are in an area with good signal; however, when you are outside of the core area of HRM, coverage seems spotty at best. Furthermore, the phone seems reluctant to switch over to a partner network, even when the signal strength from the Eastlink tower is very low, i.e. one bar. As an example, I was parked somewhere in HRM and had only one bar of 3G service on an Eastlink tower. I couldn't even open a page in my web browser. I know for a fact that Telus I had at least three bars of coverage in that same area, but the phone would not switch over. I think they need to set a threshold of signal strength below which the phone will automatically check for nearby partner towers whose signal strength is greater. It seems like this could easily be implemented through a software patch at their end.

Just looking for other people's thoughts / experiences, and maybe see if anyone has any tips or advice for improving the end user experience.

Regards,

Kang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-17, 04:22 PM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
I live in a condo in west end Halifax, and almost always only have one bar of service, very rarely, two. The phone never switches over. Fortunately, I only use a landline at home, and use WiFi for data at home.

At a golf course out of town, the phone will switch to a partner with a good signal, but ONLY if Eastlink's signal disappears totally.

I agree with your comment, Commander_Kang, that the phone should be more willing to switch to a partner if the signal is low.

It is unfortunate that Eastlink has so many weak spots in and around the Halifax area, which is actually Eastlink's home base.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-17, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like we are having similar experiences. I hope they make some corrections / adjustments so this is a less frequent occurrence. I am often stuck in one place for hours at a time due to work. It really sucks not being able to browse the web or stream YouTube, especially when I know that Telus has much better coverage available but the phone simply doesn't try to access it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-19, 04:49 PM

I'm in sackville nb coverage is excellent we were with both rogers and telus and my wife would have a hard time getting signal at her work but now she gets 2 bars. i do agree it takes a bit before it switches to the partner network i dont know if you can manualy switch it over to the partner network in android you can. we frequently go to moncton and there's no coverage (even if the map says there is) and when driving out of sackville it takes a bit to switch over. But the service is a bit cheaper than the competition and the fact that you can get an iphone for 0$ down is great. hopefully with them winning the 700mhz auction this will improve once they implement it. as it's supposed to have longer range and better penetration
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-20, 07:31 AM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
I find that odd as well, greenshadow, that they haven't implemented the 700 MHz spectrum yet, after winning it almost two years ago. That would help my situation immensely, since it is better at penetrating deeper into buildings. (My condo has concrete walls.)

Why are they taking their time with this anyway?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-20, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Great question. Would be nice if a company rep would find this thread and leave a comment.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-20, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Another issue I've heard of from a friend is that he was travelling outside NS, and even when he was in an area with strong signal, it was not LTE. He said he was in downtown Toronto, where there was obviously abundant LTE coverage available from multiple carriers, and the best he would get was full bars of 3G on the extended network, not LTE. He has his data roaming enabled and his carrier set to Auto on his iPhone 6s.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2015-10-20, 08:28 PM

It will not use lte when roaming. They only have an agreement for 4G the carriers would not allow a competitor to use the full network. When I was with rogers it was the same thing the extended network was only 4G

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Tags
eastlink , iphone , lte , wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in