Eastlink Programming and Packages Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 04:25 PM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
I just checked the lower numbers, and both Spike and BET are still present on channels 50 and 14, respectively. I haven't checked down this low for ages, since I mostly just channel surf in the HD 600-800 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 05:57 PM

It's possible they are removed from analog but still sitting in the same channel positions in the digital line-ups.

http://www.eastlink.ca/Enhancedtv.aspx

This link has some info about what is happening.
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 08:43 PM

Thank you for the link, denben73.

I am still unsure if this is being done across all Eastlink systems, or only in selected areas for the time being, since I have seen no changes in the Halifax area as far as I know. Halifax still seems to have a fairly substantial analog lineup at the present time, although a few were migrated to digital some time ago.

post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 10:06 PM

You're welcome.

The page is pretty vague as to where it is happening. If there are concerns you should be talking to them and finding out. I just can't believe they would start doing this without giving SOME heads up.

I know some systems are digital only now. The only analog connection I have right now here is to my TV card on my PC. I haven't checked it lately.
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-10-06, 01:35 PM

Did anyone else notice one less HD pay-per-view channel (691)?

Also, which systems are carrying Unis? It's on in Sudbury but not available up here.
post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-10-07, 07:52 AM

I don't use PPV, so I didn't notice the PPV stuff, denben73, but I have heard that Viewers Choice will no longer be broadcasting, so I wonder who Eastlink will be using as a PPV provider.

Unis is carried on the Halifax system, and I had thought that it was a "must carry".
post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-10-07, 12:18 PM

I thought it was a must carry channel also. Maybe the definition has changed.

I always figured their PPV channels came from Shaw.
post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-10-07, 06:20 PM

Unis is not in the online channel guide here in Oxford. This tiny anglo town is likely exempt from some of the must carry stuff. We can't get TVA, V, or TV5 either. Though we can get the same French specialties as the the rest of Eastlink territory. I've always thought it was strange.

Mark
post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old 2015-01-06, 12:47 PM

My bill jumped $7.00

Hi everybody,

I just got my latest Eastlink bill, and was very annoyed to find that it had jumped $7.00. This is for the Surf and Talk package: Home Phone and 20 Mbit internet.

Last months bill mentioned that there would be a rate increase, and had a link to eastlink.ca/ratechange which tries and justify it. The page mentioned all sorts of new things that Eastlink offers, but they are almost all TV and Cell related.

Maybe I should switch to Netfox for net and Vonage for phone. This is an enormous hike.
post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old 2015-01-09, 03:17 PM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
Yeah it seems like every 6 months now were getting an increase in rates, it's getting really ridiculous and very annoying now. Wonder if they realize they could be pricing themselves out of the market eventually with all these new streaming services starting up.

If rates keep going up like they have been I'm not sure how much longer I am going to be able to keep it all.
post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old 2015-01-09, 05:30 PM

I've been researching alternatives and have come up with two that seem legit and viable. Both lease Eastlink lines, so I would get the same 20 Mbit internet service, though some upload speeds are only 1 Mbit instead of Eastlink's 2 Mbit. I barely upload anything, so that wouldn't affect me. I cut the TV cord 1.5 years ago, and barely miss it. Internet pricing and good service are what interest me.

Netfox offers 20/1 Mbit service for $49.95, but no phone service. Online reviews are very positive, especially praising the customer service personnel. I could easily switch to a Voip service.

City Wide offers 20/2 Mbit net + phone with all features and unlimited Canadian long distance for $62.90. There are a few online reviews, and they are VERY negative. From what I can tell, they are from 2 vocal people. One of them had unreasonable requests and the staff became rude. The other sounded like they had bad modem and fought the staff before giving up. I don't know how much of this is bad customer service, or whether there was a cultural difference that came in to play. I'm married to a Dutch woman, and I know all about people who can seem rude to us overly polite Maritimers when they are just being direct.

Honestly, with those price differences I would jump ship tomorrow if it weren't for the hassle of losing my Eastlink email address. As it is, I may jump ship anyway.

I could probably get a big discount by threatening to switch, but I truly hate that practice. If they are willing to chop 30% or more off the price for customer retention, why not just have lower prices for everyone. It overly punishes the complacent, many of whom are older. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to know that they are making sure that nice guys finish broke.

Mark

Last edited by smallmj; 2015-01-09 at 05:31 PM. Reason: grammar
post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old 2015-01-18, 08:12 PM
Rookie

I've just been checking around and I noticed that Eastlink is really starting to lag behind Aliant as far as bundles are concerned. I just priced out FibreOp3.0 with HD and an extra HD Receiver and its about $1/month more expensive than the same bundle with Eastlink, but with the Aliant package I get 70Mbps Dload / 30Mbps Uload as opposed to 20Mbps Dload / 2Mbps Uload from Eastlink.

Makes it really tempting to switch again.

Rob
post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old 2015-03-04, 11:56 PM

Internet changes effective April 1

I notice that DeltaCable will change their internet usage effective April 1. They are putting a cap on the 40Mps package at 250gb (Evolution package) with a maximum overage charge of $10. This plan will be at $40 per month. For $50, you get 400gb at 80Mps (Eclipse) with the same overage charge.

http://www.deltacable.com/internet/internetoptions.aspx

Anyone on the Eastlink Cable getting the same or have already got it?
post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old 2015-03-05, 01:42 PM

I wonder if these caps will apply in a bundle? As of now, in Halifax, there are no caps for higher tier Internet options, if they are part of a watch, surf, and talk bundle. Currently, the caps only apply to standalone Internet, or for those who only have phone and Internet.

Although I still have the lower tier Internet option in my bundle, I had contemplated going to the next level up, since I watch a lot of Netflix, but not if caps will be introduced.

Bell Aliant has much higher speeds even in their lower level Internet options, and has no caps either.
post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old 2015-03-06, 08:14 AM

When I chatted with them, the CSR said there will be caps including bundles. We have the Watch & Surf bundle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in