EastLink New Channels discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 363 (permalink) Old 2012-12-31, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
EastLink New Channels discussion

Please use this thread to discuss new channels on Eastlink. Here's the link to an older thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149827

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 01:45 PM

Does anyone have the lowdown as to why we're still waiting for all those HD channels to come to the South Shore?
post #3 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-19, 10:01 AM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
PBS Seattle HD, channel 629, has been removed from Halifax's lineup, and there is a big sign on that channel saying that it is no longer offered, and to tune in to either PBS Boston or PBS Detroit. Ironically, the SD version of PBS Seattle is still available.

I am not sure if this is strictly a Halifax phenomen, or is the case everywhere in Eastlink's coverage area. One of my thoughts is that this may only be happening where the HD version of PBS Detroit is offered as well as PBS Boston, and there may be something in the regulations that no more than 2 PBS stations be offered on a cable lineup.

post #4 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-19, 10:18 AM

It's still up and running on the Bridgewater system.
post #5 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-19, 10:54 AM

That is interesting that you still get PBS Seattle on 629, eastcoast gal. Do you get PBS Detroit as well, on channel 619? I am wondering if PBS Detroit is only offered in a few areas, and if PBS Seattle is not available to those who get PBS Detroit.
post #6 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-19, 11:59 AM

David1953, the CRTC only allows 2 affiliates for each of the U.S. networks including PBS. Are you still receiving PBS in SD from Boston, Detroit and Seattle?
post #7 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-19, 01:02 PM

Thank you for clarifying, Dr. Dave, and in fact, the SD version of PBS Seattle on channel 279 has also been removed as of today. It was still showing late yesterday, when I first noticed that the HD version was already gone.

We have actually had 3 PBS affiliates for some time now, and perhaps, the CRTC noticed, and forced Eastlink to take at least one of them off the air.

Personally, I would have preferred that Seattle be left on vs Detroit, since the Seattle alternative allows PBS programming from two different time zones. However, I am aware that the Detroit PBS is quite popular with some folks in the Halifax area.
post #8 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-20, 10:48 AM
Veteran

From what i read at the CRTC website, as long as at least 1 PBS station is receivable off-air at the local headend, they can carry another one from the same time zone recieved by satellite or relay as discretionary only, and a third one from a different time zone, otherwise only 2 max PBS stations are allowed. They should have removed WTVS and kept KCTS. If you look at Rogers in Newfoundland, they only carry 2 PBS stations as none is recievable off-air. Most of Ontario Rogers has 3 as their is local PBS stations available at the headend.
post #9 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-20, 02:28 PM

Well that sucks. We still have PBS Buffalo and PBS Seattle in both SD and HD right now. We never had the third PBS signal so I guess it is a moot point for us.

I'm wondering if Fox Detroit's days are numbered for us. I was just looking at the revised list of eligible channels at http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-18.htm and Fox Detroit isn't on it. We have Fox Rochester in SD and Detroit in HD up here. The west feed is from Seattle for both. Fox east is still the only U.S. network in HD that is still getting simsubbed for us.

I thought we had a new channel on 206 here but it is a copy of WPCH that is on 197. Not sure why. That was its old channel number before the realignment in 2011.

Cogeco - Mix 40 with TiVo T6 DVR & 2 TiVo Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7 ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone
post #10 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-20, 03:38 PM
Veteran

Possibly FOX Rochester will be replaced in SD for Fox Detroit instead. I've noticed some cable companies in Ontario are still breaking the regulations carrying 3 sets of U.S. nets. Cogeco still carries Buffalo stations in SD, Detroit stations in HD and Seattle in SD and HD. This is a clear violation of the CRTC regs. They were only allowed to do this temporarily. Rogers on the other hand removed the Detroit HD feeds in Toronto when the Buffalo HD stations became available.
post #11 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-21, 08:01 PM

I noticed MLB Network is now on the revised list who do I harass at eastlink to get that?
post #12 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-21, 08:26 PM

You can call them, send a message on Facebook or a tweet on Twitter requesting that they get it before the season starts. Or all three.

Anyone notice Comedy Central is still on that list?

Cogeco - Mix 40 with TiVo T6 DVR & 2 TiVo Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7 ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone
post #13 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-21, 09:22 PM

Yeah saw that, if thats correct and Comedy Central is approved Bell must of had a cow.
post #14 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-21, 10:09 PM

I think it's been there for years, I wonder if Bell has a clause in their contract, saying "you add that channel, you lose all our content."

Looking at it though, MLB and maybe NASA TV are the only English channels on the list that EastLink could realistically add someday.

post #15 of 363 (permalink) Old 2013-01-22, 05:30 AM

I notice that WWOR New York (former superstation, don't know if it is still one) is on that list, but I don't know of any Canadian cable or satellite companies that carry that channel. KWGN Denver is also on the list, but I think that is just another time zone for WGN.

It is surprising that NASA TV is not offered by Eastlink, since I think that it is available for free from the provider.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in