Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-11-15, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcountry View Post
No I don't think they sell the DCX3400. Bianco's Electronics used to sell boxes when they were Persona...you could try asking there.
Bianco's still have the older PVR's. The Kiosk may sell them, but why would you spend 500 bucks? Renting is the way to go...when a new DVR is out, just trade up. BTW, Best Buy opens Saturday and they may carry them there as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 08:01 PM

RENT???!!! are you nuts?

my cable company hasn't come out with a new model in 3+ years.

12mos x $15/mo x 3yrs = $540. i bought my PVR for $550 incl. taxes, + $70 for 3 yr extended warranty.

unless your cable company comes out with a new model every 2 years, or you pay half of what i do, purchasing your DVR is the way to go. just bone up for extended warranty.
post #123 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 08:46 PM

No doubt an argument can be made for both sides on this. Before jumping to Eastlink I forked over 600 bucks for a Shaw Direct DSR 535 PVR, and it, at the time, only recorded one channel at a time.

If my PVR breaks tonight, I go to the kiosk in the New Sudbury Centre and I have a new one tomorrow. With the extended warranty, your PVR will likely be out of commission for a few weeks with no replacement. I know my Shaw Direct PVR died twice and waited a week for a replacement (both times). For me, it's a matter of convenience. I have been on both sides of this one.

Last edited by magnet; 2010-11-18 at 08:15 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote

post #124 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 07:59 AM

i'll have to look into that particular aspect, but i'm pretty sure i can drop into the office and get mine replaced then and there. i just hope i don't have to do it!
post #125 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrickle View Post
i'll have to look into that particular aspect, but i'm pretty sure i can drop into the office and get mine replaced then and there. i just hope i don't have to do it!
Hopefully that's the case!
post #126 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 11:45 AM
Rookie

So BestBuy has the 500GB Shaw version of the DCX3400 for $348. I call Eastlink CSR and ask - can I use it on Eastlink. She tells me she can't confirm if it will work until I can provide a serial number. Not a bad strategy from their point of view given that's a near impossible task.

Is that true - or will a Shaw DCX3400 work out of the box?
post #127 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 12:16 PM

All Digital Boxes must be authorized. As discussed many times on the forum, cable companies don't know a where you got your digital box. Again as discussed many times, cable companies don't make money off of cable boxes, they make money off of cable subscriptions therefore Shaw is not going to sell PVR boxes at a loss to Eastlink customers.

You can search the forum for more threads discussing this issue but its not unique to this device.

Going forward, please restrict discussion on this thread to the set top box and its features.

If you'd like to discuss where to get the best deal on these devices, please use the deals forum.
post #128 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 09:39 AM

Power off on DCX3400

I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but, does the box power itself on to record a preset show, or does the power have to be left on?

If it needs to be left on, I have found throught this forum hot to get to the menu by pressing "ok" butting after power off, and I founf item on Auto power off, but how do you make a change to this setting?

Cheers MIke H

Mharvey
Halifax
HTPC
post #129 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 02:44 PM

My Motorola 6416 will turn on automatically, where his box is a Motorola as well, I would assume that it would. Even when the boxes turn off (same with 6412), they aren't truly off, you can still hear them clicking and working. I can't imagine a 2010 DVR that wouldn't auto turn on though.

RCA 26" HDTV - (ATSC/QAM Tuner) - 720p/1080i
post #130 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-05, 08:12 PM

yes, it will turn itself on. all of mine are powered down when not in use.
post #131 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-06, 05:21 PM

Power off automatically

Hi

I hope my question is not off topic.
I have had this unit for a month or so. I control it using a Harmony ONE remote. After reading on a fourm i programmed the remote to stay powered on all the time.
My question is- does this unit have an auto shut off feature? I have checked the settings and have not found anything to disable such a feature if its exists.
I ask as the unit does not stay on and I dont think its a Harmony issue. Can anyone comment?
post #132 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 10:02 AM
Rookie

my 3400 has an auto shutoff after 4hour, you can turn that feature off if you want from one of the menu. I don't remember where.
post #133 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 10:04 AM
Rookie

dvr expander?

hi everyone,

Received my 3400 yesterday from sudbury. Can somebody confirm if we can still connect an esata drive.
According from the tech it's disabled. When I check the diagnotics page, d11, it looks like that feature is not enabled.
I want to make sure before buying a wd esata dvr expander.
I would love to add 1tb.
thanks in advance.

Rob
post #134 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 10:30 PM

Yes the eSATA drive is active...I have one working on my PVR.

Views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.
post #135 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcableden View Post
my 3400 has an auto shutoff after 4hour, you can turn that feature off if you want from one of the menu. I don't remember where.
You can turn off the auto power off which is active so that the box can have a Energy Star rating.
The option can be found by turning the box off and then pressing the menu button to access the user settings screen.

Views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in