Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 12:51 PM

OK, this is now fixed.

A service tech came out, and quickly saw that it was a question of the box not pairing properly with the CableCard inside it, but couldn't fix it himself. He called in to HQ, got them to send a "validator signal" to the box, and that fixed the issue after a minute or two.

Incredible that Eastlink CSR's could not do this when I phoned them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 02:26 PM

Digital overlay

Hi

I heard over lunch from a friend that Eastlink is not providing the new DCX3400 in our area (Pic Co) as they have yet to do the digital overlay. Apparantly its in Antigonish and Truro and metro etc but not here.
I did not think the 2 topics were tied toghether in that i thought the new DCX3400 could be used in normal non "all digital" areas. Perhaps, rather , Eastlink is tying it together to slow the phase in of these boxes.

I guess if i want one bad enough I'll have to bring my PVR to metro the next time I go and drop by the mic mac mall and do an exchange.

Is my theory correct and does anyone know what the digital overly roadmap is ?
post #93 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 04:41 PM
Rookie

Purchase your own DCX3400

BestBuy has the 500GB Shaw version of the DCX3400 available for purchase.

Can anyone comment if this Shaw model is the same spec, aside from the larger hard drive as the DCX3400-M being handed out by Eastlink? Thinking of picking up this unit from bestbuy and provisioning it for Eastlink service. So tiered of paying $15/mth rental.

post #94 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 05:36 PM

The Shaw unit should work fine on Eastlink. You can also buy other models used / refurbished online and use them with Eastlink. Most likely you'll need to have it shipped to you as well.

Last edited by loracweb; 2010-09-15 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more options.
post #95 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-20, 02:16 PM

I have one of the Motorola 6416's at the moment. If I buy one of the new Motorola 3400's, will I be able to give the 6416 to my father inlaw, who lives downstairs with us, and have him use it without need to do anything extra?

He's currently using an old analog TV and we have some questions about the digital change over coming soon and this may be a way for us to handle that. He also may want to buy a new HDTV in a few months.

post #96 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-20, 02:33 PM

The digital change only affects people using bunny ears to watch TV. Cable customers will not be affected immediately.

If you are all on the same cable bill you can move the PVR to any cable outlet in your home.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #97 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-22, 03:09 PM

Thanks! I'd really like to get a PVR with a much larger hard drive or be able to attach an external. My kids are filling the 160G with their shows and there is never room for mine.

post #98 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 07:57 PM

Are these new boxes coming to Newfoundland & are they worth asking for?My current HD DVR takes care of my needs recording wise so unless there a much better video qly I may not be interested in an upgrade.
post #99 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-10-02, 06:04 PM

Just went out and bought a esata bay and 1TB drive came home and hooked it up and got the not authorized popup. Called Eastlink and lets just say that it was the most unproductive 20 minutes of my life.

The guy didn't know anything and apparently his documentation said nothing about external HDs being able to be hooked up so as far as he was concerned it is an unsupported option.

I guess I'll have to call on Monday and talk to someone on the A team but right now it's not looking promising for getting it active.

Has anyone encountered this and was able to talk Eastlink through getting the drive active? If so any advice? I'm 2 weeks into the new TV season and despite best efforts I'm at 80% full even with the larger capacity.
post #100 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-10-22, 10:43 PM
Rookie

eSATA Support

Unlike some I looked out and had a knowledgeable tech.

eSATA is officailly supported on these boxes DCX3400 series. Supports up to 1 TB. One must call cable tech support to have them initiate the box. The HDD wil be formatted for the OS used by the box. Once initiated you can record to the external drive. Why use eSATA drive? If anything goes wrong with the DCX3400 and needs to be swapped out, you still have your recorded shows.

One person in BC using external drive and three in Halifax that he was aware of.

Box supports 1080p, only available 1080p content at this time is through VOD.

My box is still not up and running not all channels coming through. Service call sceduled, I'll call them tomorrow and see about the validaor signal.

Anybody know if the PC can read the files on the formatted external drive.

The DVR with Firewire came off as .ts files.

Thanks.

Tech also told me about their new wireless modem N support and Gigabyte Lan.
post #101 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-10-22, 10:49 PM

External drives are married to the box. If your unit needs to be swapped out, you will lose all recordings on your external drive. The only way you could keep your recordings would be to replace your internal drive with the external drive.
post #102 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 12:37 PM
Rookie

Connecting External eSATA Drive (DCX3400)

1. Power off DCX3400.
2. Unplug unit.
3. Attach external eSATA drive.
4. Power on unit, external drive will be initiated and formatted.

If above steps do not work, call Eastlink support for assistance.

Despite what has been said about ext. drive being married to the unit that initialized it . I have been told twice now by Eastlink support that the external drive will work with another unit. However, this is only first tier. I have a question out to second tier for clarification. If for nothing else to have first tier on the correct page.

Last edited by yhzhrm; 2010-10-23 at 01:02 PM.
post #103 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhzhrm View Post
Unlike some I looked out and had a knowledgeable tech.

eSATA is officailly supported on these boxes DCX3400 series. Supports up to 1 TB. One must call cable tech support to have them initiate the box. The HDD wil be formatted for the OS used by the box. Once initiated you can record to the external drive. Why use eSATA drive? If anything goes wrong with the DCX3400 and needs to be swapped out, you still have your recorded shows.

One person in BC using external drive and three in Halifax that he was aware of.

Box supports 1080p, only available 1080p content at this time is through VOD.

My box is still not up and running not all channels coming through. Service call sceduled, I'll call them tomorrow and see about the validaor signal.

Anybody know if the PC can read the files on the formatted external drive.

The DVR with Firewire came off as .ts files.

Thanks.

Tech also told me about their new wireless modem N support and Gigabyte Lan.
I got my external drive hooked via esata and it is working fine. Just hooked it up one day, everything was powered on at the time, and it reformatted and was ready to go. Get all the 0% usage issues but that doesn't both me.
post #104 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 01:00 PM
Veteran

First tier support is wrong. As was said by someone else, the external drive recordings will only work on the original box.
post #105 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 02:58 PM

MCX-3400-M Dual Tuner: One Tuner Failed

New MCX-3400-M worked 100% for a couple of weeks. Now, only one tuner receives any channels. Other tuner gives following message on every channel the same as before box was registered with Eastlink: "ONE MOMENT PLEASE. This channel should be available shortly. Ref code S0a00"

As a result, programmed recordings fail since recorder seems to use tuner that is not working. Recording works if manually started with working tuner.

Is there any master reset code? Could be operator error from remote? I have contacted Eastlink technical support which tried sending a reset down the line; did not fix anything. Support basically won't do anything except tell you to swap at Eastlink kiosk. I wonder if this isn't just a glitch that could be resolved via a correct reset.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in