Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Re: External hard drive capability...

Does anyone know, using EastLink HD digital cable, if the Motorola DCX3425 is compatible with the WD 1 TB DVR Expander? I noticed that there's an eSATA port at the back of the DCX3400-M, but some cable companies don't allow it to be activated. It sure would be great if EastLink did - as I wouldn't have to keep deleting those HD programs I'd like to keep. The STB keeps telling me that I have less than 20% programming space left on the internal 250 GB hard drive - VERY annoying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 03:05 PM
Rookie

IIRC, the eSATA port does work. I have not tired it, but others in this thread have.
post #78 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 01:18 PM

Unhappy

Any word if these recievers have made there way west to Sudbury yet? I called customer service and they had no idea....

post #79 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 11:37 AM

Thumbs up

Just a follow up...They are available in Sudbury. Swapped mine out today. Nice reciever and love the bigger hard drive...
post #80 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 09:01 AM

Anyone from Charlottetown get one yet?

The Eastlink kiosk people were great to talk about it coming up to the release date but when the date came & went, I can't seem to get any info from Eastlink. One person didn't even seem to know what I was talking about.
post #81 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-08-03, 08:43 PM

Finally got it tonight. Looks good so far but it is set to 720P by default (unlike the DCT 6416 which was 1080i).

Thing is, it looks good so now I'm not sure if I should bother changing it in the menu.
post #82 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-08-03, 11:50 PM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
Your best bet is to set it to "NATIVE".

Once you go Plasma you will never go back.
post #83 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 12:06 PM

Thanks for that. It's now set to NATIVE and looks good.

So far, the audio dropouts seem to have disappeared. Here's hoping it stays that way!!
post #84 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-08-21, 05:36 PM

I bought the DCX3400 and a WD 1TB drive in a NexStar enclosure (similar to the one i run on my Pace box).

Hooked it up and got the dreaded "external HD's not supported by your cable company" message (which is odd, since i am running one on my Pace right now!!??).

called Eastlink and they couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. it is recognized in the diagnostics tho. they tried zapping it twice, didn't work, then zapped it a third time and i was told to wait a half hour (almost up). tech said if that third zap didn't work, to phone them back in a week or so as they are working on the software still.

the DCX 3400 (we have the 3425 available to us) is a great looking box, better than the Pace and far better looking than the 6416III!
post #85 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-08-21, 09:08 PM

tried again after the third zap and no go. hope they come up with the software fix fast! check back in a week.
post #86 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-08-21, 09:41 PM
Veteran

There needs to be a code on your account that'll allow the DAC, which authorizes services on your box, to authorize external hard drive use. For whatever reason, it sounds like that code is missing.

Pace doesn't do it the same way - it just works with Pace boxes.
post #87 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 02:50 PM

External HD

Just switched to Eastlink from Bell and the Western Digital 1TB drive won't work with the Eastlink DCX3400 - will call them later to see if I can get it going. Must say I am so impressed with the new box, the PQ when set to native plus improved sound quality etc makes the service far better than when I was first with Bell three years ago.
post #88 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 10:29 AM

For Delta customers... talked to a tech last week and he said that because there are 3 companies out west that have to be brought up to speed at the same time, the eSATA ports will not work until they have a fix that will comply with all boxes. no guess on when it will happen.
post #89 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 07:07 PM

Angry rant: FRUSTRATED beyond belief....

OK, so I had the 6416, and decided that I'd like to swap it out for the DCX3400. Went to the Halifax Shopping Centre Eastlink kiosk, guy swapped the box, no problem.

I get it home, and the instructions say to call Eastlink to activate it. I call. They do whatever they do, and say to wait 20 minutes and everything should be fine--and they hang up.

20 minutes later, I can see programs on the TV....but there's a white overlay with red text (looks like some kind of firmware message from the box itself) saying, "In order to start cable service for this device, please call your cable provider: 1-888-345-1111", along with info about the box: CableCARD ID, Host ID, UnitAddress, Card S/N, MAC address, eCM MAC, and Host MAC.

I call Eastlink again. The girl sends an activation again--doesn't work. She tries a warm reset, then says it may take 20 minutes or so for it to work. She hangs up.

Of course it still has that message on the TV 30 minutes later. The frustrating thing is, I can see the programs and hear the audio, but there's that semi-opaque overlay over everything. I discover that it goes away after two minutes; but then if I change the channel, it reappears.

I call back. The next girl tells me to unplug the box, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. I do that. No luck. She sends a warm reset, and while we're waiting to see what happens, she asks if I want to book a service call.

Well....here's the thing. I really, really wanted this thing to work for Sunday...I have guests coming over to watch football in HD, and suddenly I'm faced with having no HD. I suppose I should've not swapped out the box, but I didn't think it would be a big deal, and today was the only time I was going to be in Halifax for quite a while.

So I asked her if there was any more troubleshooting we could do....it's a recently introduced box, maybe her instructions are outdated. Politely, I expressed surprise that the only thing we could do to troubleshoot this issue was to reset the box. She indignantly said, "Well, I *DID* have you plug and unplug it!"

OK, fine, I'm not going to argue anymore. Booked the service call. Now she asks me what's going on with the box from the reset we did. I tell her that it looks like it's off...the TV is completely black, and the only light on the box is the blue circle around the power light. She tries to tell me that "it may take a few minutes, just leave it...I'm going to write in the ticket notes that you'll call back."

I guess that was my cue to leave. Of course, as I type this 20 minutes later, it's still completely black and just powered off. I'm sure if I hit the power button on the remote, it'll turn on--and likely still have that white overlay message with red text.

Are there "second-level support" people at Eastlink who might be more likely to be able to troubleshoot this than the first-line CSR's? It seems like the script for these first-line CSR's is: reset the box, wait 20 minutes, if the customer calls back, try it again, and if it still doesn't work, book a service call. Is that really all that can be done?

Last edited by canadavenyc; 2010-09-10 at 07:53 PM.
post #90 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 07:30 PM

An update:

It looks like the white overlay with red text only appears on a limited number of channels: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 13, 27, 28, 30, 35, and 56. Everything else seems to be okay. So weird....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in