Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 03:32 PM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimer555 View Post
I certainly hope the Sata port is enabled via Eastlink. Looking at other forums for other cable providers with most of their boxes (not sure about the DCX) have the ability for external storage configured.
Jimbo - you have the DCX , do you know if the port is enabled or not? Are you running an external drive with your unit?
I don't know if mine is enabled or not because I do not have an external HDD to test it but Quadrature says and has an external running on his so I guess there is your answer . It is enabled according to Quadrature. I thought we were going to get a whole new looking guide as well but were still stuck with this plain looking one.

Once you go Plasma you will never go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-05, 02:16 PM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
One thing I have noticed with the DCX3400-M is there are absolutely no more audio dropouts. I use to get them with my old DVR but since I have had this new DVR I have yet to have one single audio dropout, not one. The tech mentioned this when he was here last week installing the box that these new DVR's seem to process the audio streams a lot better than the other DVR's. He said also that when they were testing the new boxes that they can see the audio blips in the streams coming in but for some reason the DCX3400-M processes this signal and outputs it without any audio dropouts/errors and the guys back at the office are baffled and actually relieved a little that these boxes seem to fix this problem in which they had no idea how to lol.

Once you go Plasma you will never go back.
post #48 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 10:08 PM

DCX3400 and 30 second skip forward

I just upgraded to the DCX3400 from the old model and noticed toight that when watching something I recorded I no longer have the 30 second skip forward option.

Has anyone managed to get this working? I'd hate to start watching commercials again

post #49 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 07:57 AM

Hey IGnun

i'm curious how everyone is upgrading to the DCX3400. Did you have trouble with your old box? where do you live?
i am trying to narrow down where they are using this new box- is it widespread.i have had a few problems on and off with the older motorola and would love to get this new box. mind you the extra storage capacity and ablity for external hard drive is another reason i would love to have it.
I'm in Pictou County NS.
post #50 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 06:57 PM

I'm in Halifax and had no trouble swapping it out at all. I just called customer service and asked if I could swap because I heard the new box had more storage. They put a note on my file and I just took my old box to the kiosk at the mall and swapped. No questions asked.

I like how responsive the new box is but in addition to the lack of 30 second skip it seems to turn itself off when it doesn't detect a TV on the other end of the connection which would be fine if it turned itself on when I turned the TV back on...I use a harmony remote and my setup has always been to leave the DVR on all the time.
post #51 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 07:03 PM
Rookie

I have the 6416 III and I don't have a quick skip ahead, I have the quick skip rewind...unless I'm totally missing something.

My question with the 3400 is, does it slow down? My box gets reallllllllly slow sometimes, and I have to hard reset it about once a week to prevent it becoming jurassic.
post #52 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 07:41 PM

I haven't noticed any slowdowns yet with the 3400 but I've only had it a couple of days.

I had the 6416 III and had the 30 second skip but not with the Eastlink remote, only with the Harmony.
post #53 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 08:08 PM

Solved the auto power off issue...if you turn the 3400 off and within two seconds hit the menu button you will get a configuration menu that allows you to set a few more options for the DVR, one of which is auto poweroff.

Now if I could get the 30 second skip back I'd be a happy man...if it is even supported.
post #54 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 08:18 PM
AFF

ignun, I had a 3400 going in Our office during the Olympics. We programmed a remote to enable the 30 skip on it. If I remember correctly we used the the same macros as the old dct boxes. Give them a try. If you can't find the macros I will try to dig them up at work tomorrow for you.
post #55 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 08:27 PM

If you could dig up the macros it would be great...I never had to program it previously, the Logitech Harmony just knew how to do it out of the box.
post #56 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 10:26 AM
AFF

I'm pretty sure we used these ones.

Add 30-Second Skip
Code:
Add 30-Second Skip

The following technique can be used to map an unused or unneeded button on the "silver" remote to the 30-second skip command. Current versions of the i-Guide software will skip forward 30 seconds into a recording when this command is sent. A good choice is the 'A / Lock' button since many users don't need that function; you can feel both the '15-second-back' and '30-second-skip' buttons with one finger and move between them without looking. Another option is to reprogram the '15-second back' button, since PgDn already provides that functionality. Some users have found, however, that double-clicking the play button results in a 30-second skip forward.
  1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
  2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
  3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
  4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
  5. Type in the code 00173.
  6. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (ex: A / Lock). The "Cable" button will blink twice if successful.
Add 15-Second Back
Code:
Add 15-Second Back

Most Comcast remotes have a counter-clockwise curly arrow that is pre-programmed for this code.
  1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
  2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
  3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
  4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
  5. Type in the code 00179.
  6. Press whatever button you want to map the 15-second back command to (ex: A / Lock). The "Cable" button will blink twice if successful.
'Note: To reprogram a "One For All" remote please see this page-- http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/advanced.shtml
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...ing_the_Remote
post #57 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 10:39 AM

There is no setup button on the EastLink provided remotes. Hold down the CBL key for a few seconds until it flashes.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #58 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 11:23 AM

The new Eastlink remote they are providing with the DCX 3400 has a setup button.

The instructions above worked like a charm. I was able to map a key on the Eastlink remote and from there teach my Harmony the new command.

thanks!
post #59 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-12, 06:38 AM

Using the CBL button didn't work for me. I have the new DVR but they didn't bring a new remote, so I have no setup button.
post #60 of 218 (permalink) Old 2010-06-14, 09:52 AM

DCX3400-M

Just swapped out my Eastlink HDTV box to the new DCX3400-M. It definitley looks a lot nicer. Does anyone know if you can tell exactly what Hard Drive size you have? Apparently, there are three sizes available....160gb (DCX3416), 250gb (DCX3425) & 320gb (DCX3432). I could not find a place where this is indicated.

Also, is there a specific type of external hard drive that is prefered to use? Any special set-up issues? Is there a size/capacity limitation?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in