Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-05-29, 12:55 PM

Connecting to HD Receiver via HDMI

Hi Folks

I recently bought a new receiver -Yamaha HTR 6063. I connect all componets to it and then HDMI out to TV.
That included the DCx3400. I was wondering when connecting the 3400 using only the HDMI cable will it transmit 5.1 sound ? Or do I also need to connect using the Optical code ? The manual is vague on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-05-29, 02:58 PM

It will transmit 5.1 through HDMI when the broadcast is in 5.1. You don't need optical.
post #168 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 01:44 AM
Rookie

Exclamation WD My Book DVD Expander 1TB does work with DCT6416 III

Just spent an incredibly frustrating 2 days with eastlink tech support trying to get a DVD expander hard drive working. Was told the (Shaw) IOMega from Best Buy was incompatible and needed to get the WD By Book DVD Expander. Took 6 hours on the ferry to go back to Best Buy in Vancouver to get the WD drive. Only to find that it too did not work. Tech support did not call back, then hung up on me, but finally another tried to download an upgrade to the DCT firmware (no idea what version). He said to try again after 30 minutes to see if the "hard drive needs to be formatted" message appears - IT DIDN"T.
So searched the web and found an old post that suggested to NOT POWER OFF THE DVR BEFORE PLUGGING IN THE EXPANDER. and then it worked!!!!! Up popped the message asking to format the Expander drive and now my 80% full suddenly became 0% full. Now going to try recording to make sure it really works doing that.

post #169 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 05:00 PM

The eastlink tech & I found an interesting problem with the 3400's HDMI if you go from a HD channel to a SD the sound goes completely, to get it back you need to unplug the box or the tv but that only fixes it for a few minutes.

We tried 3 different boxes & many different HDMI''s but could not correct the problem finally we went with the component cables which fixed it, I googled it some put the blame on the 3400 firmware and others said it was a problem with vizio tv's true volume not working correctly

anyone experience this kind of issue with vizio tv's & the 3400?
post #170 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 05:11 PM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
That is a really odd problem, Doppelganger399, and in your case, you might really want to check your HDMI cable. Although I don't watch SD channels much, I do flick to them once on a while, and I have never experienced your problem. I do use HDMI with my 3400.

Updated, after reading your post again, seeing that you tried several different cables as well as boxes. Now, I am really puzzled that this is happening to you, and makes me start to suspect your TV. (my TV is a Samsung, btw)
post #171 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 05:28 PM

thanks David, guess I'm lucky my tv had component, last tv I bought before the vizio a pulser tv from Canadian tire in 92 I look at the audio setting in todays sets and my eyes glaze over, tech has passed this old man by lol.
post #172 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 10:23 PM

He he, found the audio fix online I needed to set the box, tv & dolby to to L-PCM, did that and the HDMI operates fine.

No idea what the setting means but everything is working good now.
post #173 of 218 (permalink) Old 2011-12-17, 11:42 AM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
Cheers, Doppelganger399, I am glad hat you found the answer!
post #174 of 218 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 04:23 PM
Rookie

DCX3400 and Eastlink

This is some information for curious Eastlink subscribers who may be wondering if the "Shaw" Motorola DCX3400 can be activated by an Eastlink subscriber in NS (specifically the Annapolis Valley). Recently (Boxing day sale) I purchased a DCX 3400 from Best Buy online for the rock bottom sale price of $149 (regular price $199). Since the price point for the Eastlink model is around $400 I felt it necessary to do some comparison shopping. An Eastlink rep assured me that the 'M' model would be activated by Eastlink and so I went ahead with the purchase and it has been an unqualified success.
So the moral of the story is buyer beware if you are price conscious. Admittedly the code that they needed to activate the box was not in their inventory but a Supervisor was contacted to make that happen so the box could be activated. Since we are all trying to save a few bucks nowadays especially with the high channel subscription rates I felt that my experience could help others who were as curious as I was before Christmas. The impetus for this endeavour was the realization that in order to experience the Free preview of Hollywood Suite, the DCX 3400 would have to be purchased (or rented). $400 was out of my price range but $199 is more manageable.
Also, since I was in the market to extend my hard drive space with a stand alone external hard drive, this solution has now expanded my hard drive capacity to a whopping 500gb from my previous 160gb afforded to me by my older DCT6416. A "suite" solution all around!
post #175 of 218 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 04:34 PM
Rookie

I just talked with live chat and they said it wasn't possible:

Chat Transcript
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Ryan.
Rep: Thank you for contacting Eastlink, my name is Ryan, and I will be assisting you today, how may I help you?
Me: Hello Ryan, I just have a pretty basic question
Rep: And what's that question?
Me: Well, I'm considering buying a DCX3400 model, and I'm wondering if one with the Shaw brand is still able to be activated with Eastlink
Me: From what I've researched online, people have said it can be done, so I guess I'm looking for confirmation one way or the other
Rep: I am sorry, but you would not be able to activate that box with Eastlink. There are the same make/model receive however it is the programming in it that is different.
Rep: This make and model receive is manufactured by Motorola, and there are many different companies that use this receiver. Each receive is programmed to work with a specific company.
Rep: Did you have any additional questions today?
Me: I suppose not. It's a shame though, it seems other people had success doing that.
Rep: I am sorry for the troubles, but it would not work with our service.
Rep: The equipment itself would work fine, the programming is the problem.
Rep: Did you have any additional questions today?
Me: the programming as in the software?
Rep: Yes
Me: alright, fair enough...thank you for your help

Last edited by NickParker; 2012-01-27 at 09:47 PM. Reason: more information
post #176 of 218 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 04:43 PM

It doesn't really matter what they say. 3rd party units work on Eastlink.

They might take a little bit of configuration, but I've personally sold new / used / refurbished units to people on Eastlink. As long as the units don't show up in their billing system they will add it for you.

You need to realize that most people who work at these companies are only trained to help you with units you get from them.
post #177 of 218 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 04:57 PM
Rookie

So then if I were to buy one, and then call up CS to get it activated I could 100% for sure get it to work? I guess I'm hoping to avoid buying one then having to return it because Eastlink won't/can't activate it.
post #178 of 218 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 06:06 PM

Last summer I switched to eastlink and got 2 dcx-700's and a dcx-3400. The two 700's wouldn't activate.After a few phone calls to eastlink by the cable guy's they were told these boxes we're meant to go to PEI and could not be activated here(south west nova).So the installer's took them back and returned a couple of days later with two that worked.
post #179 of 218 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 07:36 PM

I hope this is the right thread for my question, otherwise please forgive.

I got a 3-mo $99 offer from Eastlink for new subscribers where you get the full package which included the Motorola DCX3400-M. I am trying to figure out if this is the right package for me. The main feature of this device appears to be the recording ability but I'm not interested in recording from the TV. I noticed there is an ethernet port in the back but I can't find a word about it in the user guide, nor anywhere else.

So my question is, what the heck this ethernet is for? Can you use the box as a network player for streamed video or something like that?

Cheers,
post #180 of 218 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 07:42 PM

The ethernet port is of no use at this point in time. If you don't need to record programming you probably don't need this unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in