Eastlink Motorola DVR - Expander HDD Discussion (now possible) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-04-04, 08:07 PM

i live in Delta and was 'lucky' enough to get a Pace Tahoe which i hooked up an external drive to. have been having problems with the Pace lately (as i'm sure most everyone is!), and wanted to switch to the Motorola 6416.

Delta Cable (Eastlink) said the manufacturer 'locked' the ports, so i phoned Motorola to ask why. they don't physically lock ports, and said it was up to the cable companies to supply the software to use it (eSATA).

after a lengthy wait on the phone with Eastlink, and then a weak explaination why they wont allow the port to be used (still not clear why, the young woman said it's just not available), i've given up!

i went into Future Shop to look at the Pace with the 1TB expander (i'm going into the Delta Cable office with a story i hope they take pity to! hehehe), with hope that it could be used.

the dude that helped me *said he heard a rumor* that Shaw was close to buying Delta Cable.... anyone know anything about it? i've also read speculation of a Shaw/Eastlink trade for cable companies (DC for Mountain).

thanks for letting me spew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-10, 10:41 PM

Was talking with Eastlink Tech Support today & was told that FutureShop has the means for connecting an external hdd to my dct6416. Guess I'll find out after Thanksgiving.
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-11, 12:26 AM

@rastan , this has been discussed a whole lot in other threads here, some just below this thread ,trying doing a search and you will see. You don't need futureshop to connect an external hdd to your box since the last 2 software/firmware updates this year enabled the eSata port . Try searching/reading through some of the threads just below this one, it's hard to miss them lol.

post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-11, 03:04 AM

as long as you don't live in western Canada!
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-11, 09:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newone View Post
@rastan , this has been discussed a whole lot in other threads here, some just below this thread ,trying doing a search and you will see. You don't need futureshop to connect an external hdd to your box since the last 2 software/firmware updates this year enabled the eSata port . Try searching/reading through some of the threads just below this one, it's hard to miss them lol.
I haven't seen anyone posting about the DCT6416, though. Has that model had the eSATA enabled yet?
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-11, 05:46 PM

Yeah I think it was just the DCX-3400 that has the external port enabled my mistake but why wouldn't all the moto's have that enabled if they all received the same updates?
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 09:37 AM

switch boxes

Hi,

After reading thru this thread I want to make a comment. The new box DCX 3400 has larger storage capacity ( I think 250gb). It might be way more productive to try and get eastlink to uprade you to the new box. As mentioned there are other threads that discuss the new box and its larger capacity as well as attching an external HD to it.
I had a couple of issues with my old (6416) box and Eastlink replaced it with the 3400 last friday.

In case you were wondering , one of the issues was an audio blip on certain channels. Something I see others had issues with and were solved with the new box. So if you have problems like that , call and tell eastlink and maybe they will give you the new box.

Good luck.
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 09:19 PM

According to Eastlink here on PEI they will not upgrade the software or firmware versions on boxes where the user owns the box, only on rentals. I own mine (dct6416). I have not tested the sata port, but the usb port is active tho I get 'no signal' on the screen when I have my passport usb drive plugged into the port.
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 11:44 PM
Veteran

Typically upgrades get pushed out to all box types, I cannot see why they would differentiate between owned/rental. I'd bet money that you were given incorrect information.
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-14, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc View Post
Typically upgrades get pushed out to all box types, I cannot see why they would differentiate between owned/rental. I'd bet money that you were given incorrect information.
don't bet against it!!! since Eastlink has taken over Delta Cable, we can't seem to get a definitive answer to most of our inquiries! even our local office isn't sure of what EL is pumping out as far as services and fixes. oh well.....
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-14, 09:32 PM

Yep for sure it is hard to get any info out of Eastlink, they are extremely bad when it comes to that more so than any other cable/satelite provider. They just do not want to answer any inquiries or even update there customers of anything at all. It's like pulling teeth trying to get anything out of them , it gets really frustrating. Hell they couldn't and still can't give an update as to what happened to SN1-SENS Channel on this past monday night when the sens/caps game was suppose to be on and they didn't bother turning the companion channels on in the guide and no answers or updates for that either even though I've emailed them and sent many dm's through there Twitter acct and they keep replying there will be an update asap, 4 days it's been asap lol.
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-15, 09:45 AM

Eastlink have never been customer friendly. Their CSRs are completely clueless and the company is arrogant as they come. Don't expect that to change.

Also their guide is frequently wrong on the sports pak and they don't seem to give a damn about it. Expressvue are far superior. Bell's guide info indicates when a game is blacked out and what channel to find it on in your area. Weaklink just don't care as long as they have your money.
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 2010-10-15, 11:53 AM
Veteran

Canadude, your comments have what to do with adding an external HDD to an Eastlink digital box?
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 06:35 PM
Rookie

got a motorla 6416 111 how can i hook up expander

i got a 1 tb expander it says it will work my my dvr but when i call delta cable they have no idea what there doin then they say u cant enless u enable it but wont tell me how to do it they said figure it out any ideas would be great thanks or am i out of luck?
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 07:11 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Your post was moved to this existing thread. It doesn't look like it's possible with the Motorola based on earlier posts here.

The expander will work with some providers, however, Eastlink hasn't provided the necessary firmware. Hope you can return it for a refund, or perhaps the appropriate Pace STB.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in