Rogers Ignite TV (IPTV) Discussions. - Page 24 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #346 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-03-06, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The problem has been reported/acknowledged over on Rogers Forum. It appears that IgniteTV has been more "successful" than they anticipated, so the cloud servers are being pushed beyond their capabilities causing poor video quality, poor functionality (FF not working properly), audio drops, etc. This is especially true during prime time - 8PM - 11PM, etc.

It appears to have nothing to do with bandwidth at your home.

Please feel free to report it to the concierge though. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Or:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/cont...hare-a-concern

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-03-06, 01:58 PM

Thanks 57,

I called the concierge, which then transferred me to technical support. Told them about the issue noted above. They will monitor my service for the next 48hrs and credited me $25 for my troubles.
I suggest people doing the same.
post #348 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 10:21 PM
zb

programming ignite remote skip ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibosh View Post
Hey! I just tried it again myself and changed the skip back to 5 minutes and then again back to 30 seconds and it worked. When you hit exit exit exit and then hit the first 0 the side menu to change channels does pop up but the skip time does indeed change as well.

I tried this once and it worked. Now it's gone back to 5 min. and I can't reprogram it. I called Rogers and they said it cannot be programmed. Any suggestions?

post #349 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Do the “Exit Exit Exit...” sequence, then restart the box (from the help menu), and things will be the way you want again.

Still reverts periodically, but still better than a (useless) 5 minute skip.

The Rogers customer service reps should start following the US Xfinity forums so they can learn how to help us! LOL
post #350 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 11:05 AM

Ignite - My Experience

Tried to shave a few shekels off my monthly bill and agreed to moving to Ignite.

In retrospect for me it has turned out to be a mistake.

I watch a lot of sports and hate motion blur.
I bought two Panasonic plasmas before they shut down production years ago just to hold on to that level of performance a while longer.

Despite having Rogers fastest internet option I experience brief yet period pixelization.

But the biggest let down has been picture quality on fast moving sports like hockey.
It’s like watching it on a 60hz slow LED. The motion blur is so much more apparent than with cable.

The picture also seems “dull” - colours are not as vivid/vibrant.

The advantages and interface benefits they tout really aren’t important to me and do not enhance my experience.

I am most focused on picture quality and for my viewing habits Ignite has been a fizzle.

Not sure whether it is doable but I am going to try and migrate back.

Just a PSA based on my experiences to do a full review of the product - I dropped the ball on my decision making process.

Last edited by 57; 2019-04-16 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread.
post #351 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@GlenG : I've moved your post to this existing thread. I have a few comments:

1. If you wish to migrate back to digital cable Rogers typically will not allow it, but if they do, you will not qualify for any discounts (like you may have had before). You will likely be paying "list" prices, whatever is shown on the Rogers Webpage.

2. Yes, it's always a good idea to do lots of research before switching services. There are previous posts in this thread and especially quite a few over on the Rogers forums regarding IgniteTV. See link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t.../bd-p/IgniteTV

3. It appears there may either be an issue at your home/neighbourhood with bandwidth, or as some people have stated, perhaps there are issues at Rogers with their (cloud) servers being inadequate. You can usually tell if this is an issue by comparing live TV and recorded programmes. Also, if the PQ degrades during prime-time 8PM-11PM.

4. How is your internet speed? Are you getting what you pay for there? There is simply no need (unless you really need it) to get the highest internet speed. The Ignite 150 package is more than adequate for most people in terms of getting the required bandwidth for TV viewing & streaming. Although, Rogers don't charge a lot more for 500 or 1Gig...
GlenG likes this.

post #352 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 01:34 PM

57, I notice that my 150 internet package has miraculously become a regular 300 Mbps. I wonder if they want me to buy Ignite...I admit to thinking about it and when the allow home install I will go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #353 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 02:18 PM
Veteran

At least one post indicated that the problem is with the Ignite TV servers. Demand has outpaced the ability of the servers Rogers has in place. That can usually be scaled up rapidly but we are talking about Rogers here. Rogers Digital TV search and VOD (which depend on Rogers servers) have rarely worked as they should during several years with the service. It's become worse since Ignite TV has launched. Don't know if it's related.
GlenG likes this.
post #354 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 09:36 PM

Thanks for moving my post 57.

We went for the 1G because that is what the package offered and our tv and cable were going down by $50/month so I agreed.
With three independent users in the household I thought why not.

I wrongly assumed by not being early adopter and giving them a year or two to tweak the offering it would be enough to arrive at a viable streaming solution.

I will have to test my Internet. Frankly I have seen no difference on our devices (we used to have the 250u tier) but all of our surfing is done via wifi so that may be the bottleneck.

Motion blur drives me nuts and this has been a real downgrade for me - but as you say I guess I am stuck.... I am a real lobster in a trap!

I will pay a premium for top notch quality but with the crappy streaming performance, motion blur and stuttering I might as well be on - ahem - alternate delivery services......

Maybe the bells and whistles they trumpet for Ignite are useful to some but speaking into my remote is just farcical for my purposes.
post #355 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 09:37 PM

I guess all I can do is call Rogers and add my voice of displeasure to the chorus.......
post #356 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 09:49 PM
Veteran

I doubt Ignite TV performance has much, if anything, to do with the bundled internet plan speed. Internet speeds below 1Gbps are often an artificial cap. If they offer 1Gbps as the top plan in an area then it definitely is. Faster internet speeds may even cause problems with TV if the local node or line to the house get saturated due to high internet use.
post #357 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Has anyone had issues putting the modem in bridge mode and using their own router? This should be stupid simple but when I put the Technicolor modem in bridge mode and run everything through my TP Link AC1750 (Archer C7) my wireless internet will not work. The router displays all the Rogers information (IP address, DNS servers etc.) but the wireless connection gets the dreaded warning triangle and no pages will load. It looks like everything connects for a micro second (dreaded warning triangle disappears) but nothing actually works. The IPTV box is wired and the second ethernet port is being used to connect the router. Any ideas?
post #358 of 358 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

@x4n2t0x : there is a huge thread over on the Rogers forum regarding this topic. It is not a simple matter due to the way IgniteTV uses the modem for TV and Internet. Here's a sample post from that thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t...p/443168#M2253

There's lots of recent (and older) discussion on this topic in that thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in