Dynamically Changing Volume with Denon AVR - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Dynamically Changing Volume with Denon AVR

I have a Denon AVR-E200 powering my speakers, with the 9865 as the source (fixed volume), and a Sony KDL-50W790B TV. TV speakers are OFF.

Initially had HDMI to TV carrying video & audio, then optical out of TV to bring audio to AVR. The issue was on occasion, there was no sound. I tried different power-on order, delays, etc (in Harmony setup) but still happened often. The workaround was to power the TV off (only), then on - which for some reason allowed audio to pass to AVR (although often louder than expected). Usually turning the whole shebang off and on would do the trick also.

Wife got sick of it, so I got rid of the optical and sent A+V direct to AVR via (a different) HDMI (no optical connected). Works mostly, except now often when I pause and then play whatever I'm watching on the PVR, the volume jumps - or drops.

It feels like handshake issue but I really don't know what to do to test the source, or eliminate causes.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-09-29, 06:01 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
With the 9865, if you don't power up the AVR/TV first, you often end up with PCM audio going to the AVR (the AVR should show that as the input signal when it happens). As soon as you change the channel on the 9865, the 9865 should shake hands properly and you should have proper DD5.1 audio again (on most HD channels, or DD2.0 on SD channels).

So, the secret is to turn on the AVR first, the TV second, wait a couple of seconds, then power on the 9865. The "loud audio" is the PCM signal from the 9865.

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the AVR and TV too to ensure a proper handshake. If the issue still arises, you may have a poor connection on the HDMI cable from the 9865 to the AVR - try a different cable or unplugging/replugging the cable a few times at both ends and reversing the ends of the cable to eliminate any oxidation that may be on the terminals.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 57, I'll give that a try. Doesn't happen every single time so will take a bit to be sure it worked.

Great to have something to go on though!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Using an activity based remote, like a Harmony, can ensure that devices always get turned on in the correct order. I've never seen the PCM issue 57 described using a Harmony remote.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 12:42 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The PCM issue will often (always?) happen if the AVR is switched on last. At least it's been that way with my equipment and I have a 9865 and a Denon AVR. I've also encountered the issue with others.

One sure-fire way around it is to include a switch of channels after everything is switched on into the Harmony sequence. The 9865 will then provide the appropriate DD5.1/2.0 after the channel switch. I have done this for several people during my optimization travels.

It's easy to test by using the original remotes instead of the Harmony.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-09-30, 01:31 PM
Veteran

In settings, I have the 9865 set to start up on channel 950, a channel with no sound and picture. That could be why it's never been noticed. That looks like another way to force a channel change to watch live TV and it doesn't require a Harmony remote.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 02:59 PM

I found this thread helpful to say what is happening for a problem I have been having with my Shaw Gateway and Denon S920W AV receiver. Every so often I lose sound when I go to playback a recorded show. My solution to getting the sound back was found by trail and error and is to switch to live playback and then returning to the recording playback function. I don't recall it happening immediately after turning my TV and AVR on. Just after I have been watch Shaw TV for awhile.

After reading this thread, I checked to find that the AVR's display screen shows STEREO when the sound is missing on playback and Dolby Digital when I have sound. It doesn't happen often enough to be more than a minor annoyance for now but it would be nice to find a permanent solution.

Gateway and 3 Portals, Samsung FP-T6374 TV, Panasonic DMR-E80, Denon AVR-3808, Sony CX777ES
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 03:42 PM
Veteran

I've noticed lost sound, either for a few seconds or permanently, after using skip, FF or REW on the 9865. Hitting skip-back once usually fixes it. That could be a similar issue.
Cybergy likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

@ExDilbert - I'm using a Harmony and this issue has been appearing more and more frequently.

@57 - You are correct on the PCM thing. Yesterday after adjusting the start sequence as you suggested, (AVR, TV, 3 second delay, 9865 PVR) I noted the loud volume was displaying as PCM (with "digital" below it). I paused, played and the PCM disappeared, and volume dropped to normal. So this confirms you are correct, but I still have the issue.

Should I just increase the delay until the issue is resolved? I'm not sure I have many more options.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 12:04 PM

Although a longer delay may work, as I mentioned earlier, you can programme a channel change into the Harmony startup sequence. Have it start on one channel (say channel 5 under the 9865 "Settings") as normal and then have the Harmony change to another channel (your preferred startup channel - say channel 024) and the issue should disappear. Is the firmware on the TV and AVR up to date?

Or you could simply change to another channel yourself after everything is turned on. Unfortunately, the loud PCM signal may still come through, so you could set the startup channel to 950 (under 9865 Settings), which has no audio/video, and then change the channel before viewing any recordings.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 03:52 PM
Veteran

Another thing that may help is to have the AVR volume automatically set to a low value when turned on. That avoids being blasted when the activity starts. In the Denon AVR settings, I have the volume set to 50 at power on. Normal listening volume is about 55.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I saw the channel change suggestion 57, but I prefer to have things to work properly. So far, your channel change workaround does have the desired outcome.

I guess it's an imperfect world...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Also, I am not aware of a way to get an update for the firmware on the Denon AVR-E200, never mind apply it. I'll look around.

The TV updates itself as it is networked.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 01:44 PM
Veteran

As long as it is connected to the internet, my Denon AVR notifies about updates and will download and install them when accepted in a dialog box. Pending updates can be forced by unplugging it and plugging back in.

Quote:
I prefer to have things to work properly.
Then I suggest you get rid of Rogers PVRs. Of the PVRs I've seen that are currently sold by a Canadian BDU, Rogers NextBox PVRs are by far the worst. They have a lack of features, cohesion and consistency in the interface design that boggles the imagination. That is combined with major, long standing bugs that would force a recall or class action suit against any other reputable electronics manufacturer.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

@ExDilbert - I know but the AVR-E200 is not networked. I have to take it or ship it to Denon for a firmware update, according to the Denon site.

On Rogers, I wholeheartedly agree! But every year when my "deal" runs out and I renegotiate, nobody beats their prices. Not that Rogers is any deal with all the bundling, etc - but it's the best deal for a hockey fan. The 8 tuners also put them above competition.

I'll keep watching the offerings every year and keep my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in