Successfully Connect a PVR 3.0 to a Standard TV? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Actually that's exactly what both the Rogers tech support team and the Rogers store staff refer to the box as: PVR 2.0 and PVR 3.0.
So that's it; all is fine here on the home-front now.
Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 09:32 AM
Veteran

I have never heard anyone use PVR 2 or 3, other than you.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 10:18 AM
Rookie

oaky.

You do realize that you gave misleading information when you started this thread. You did not mention an interposing DVD recorder in the connection between the Nextbox3 and the TV. Suggestions to you would have been vastly different from the outset if you had.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 12:54 PM

Agreed but we got there in the end, didn't we.....
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaky View Post
... I just went back and ran the 3 cables into DVR recorder again and out of there and back into the TV. Again no picture and sound.
However as soon as I turned on the recorded, both picture and sound obtained.

So why does the PVR 2.0 work with the recorder turned off and the PVR 3.0 only works if the recorder is turned on? Again might there be a setting in the recorder that needs to be on for the PVR 3.0 to work with the recorder not having to be on?
I had a similar setup and discovered that the recorder had to be powered on to pass the signal through to the TV with composite cables. It would work in pass-through mode when it was powered off and I used the coax connection. I left my recorder powered on 24x7 for many years with no problem. No mechanical parts were moving, so it shouldn't cause any additional wear and tear.

I've never had Rogers, so I can't comment specifically, but my guess is that both your Toshiba recorder and Rogers Nextbox 3 are sensing to see if anything is connected to decide whether to turn on the electronics for that circuit. Since they are both off, neither one turns on. Maybe the Nextbox 2 wasn't as energy efficient and sent the signal to all outputs all the time. Just a guess.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 08:54 PM
Veteran

Now that the recorder info has come up...

Someone else on the rogers forums, has brought up an issue with trying to record the OUTPUT from the NB3 into a VCR...
When just throughputting through the VCR was fine... BUT, when they tried to record.. would get nothing.

I am wondering, if the NB3 is outputting some form of copy protection signal which the PVR or VHS player is picking up.

(I know this used to happen often if you tried to chain VCRs and copy a store bought tape.. would scramble or show nothing.)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in