Thinking of switching to Rogers from Express Vu - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-01, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of switching to Rogers from Express Vu

I am upgrading my systems to a 4K system. It seems as though Rogers is the only provider moving toward 4K in 2016. They are coming out with the Nextbox 4K. Seems this will not be a WHPVR....that doesn't bother me, but I have read many horror stories about Nextbox 3.0.

What would be you advice on switching. Everything else we have is Rogers, except the TV service. Just seems Express Vu is really not moving towards 4K.

TIA!

Vizio M70-C3, Denon AVRS710W, Energy XL25, XL15, & CR10, Mirage Centre, Yamaha Subwoofer, Panasonic BD35, Bell 9242.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-01, 10:35 PM

Based on Rogers recent fiasco with Navigatr, I would wait and see how the 4K rolls out.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-01, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Yep, definitely not worth it being in the first round of whatever upgraded equipment or service Rogers rolls out. There's very little 4K content now. They should have the Jays in the summer, of you're into baseball. But I'm not sure how many of the games will be in 4k. The Leafs home games should be in 4K either now or soon. Since I'm not in Leafs Nation I really couldn't care less but it could be a draw for some. For me, when *all* NHL rinks are outfitted with 4K cameras, *then* it may be something to check out. I've seen 4k in the showroom and it's fantastic, but at this point in time there's very little content, and there will likely be kinks to iron out in the first round of deployment.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-02, 09:34 AM

I've used both companies for TV service, and I find the Rogers PVR solution to be terrible in comparison to Bell.

Given the lack of 4k programming planned for the coming year, I concur with the above advice to wait and see what hardware becomes available.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Last edited by Jase88; 2016-01-03 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fixed grammar
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-02, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....I have been on Satellite so long...its a big decision!...lol....the thing is that I dont think Bell is going to develop 4k for satellite. In the US, Direct TV and Dish already have 4k....Bell is sinking everything into Fibe IMHO....so looks like if I am going to get a 4K service provider it would have to be Rogers.....not going to do anything now as suggested above....I guess its a waiting game!

Vizio M70-C3, Denon AVRS710W, Energy XL25, XL15, & CR10, Mirage Centre, Yamaha Subwoofer, Panasonic BD35, Bell 9242.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-02, 07:46 PM

Don't forget that some 4k content is available from Netflix. And most 4k TV's are 'smart' in that the applications are built in for these over-the-top services.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-03, 10:38 AM
Veteran

It really comes down to what is available, and what you WANT to watch.

Myself, I am not a sports fan. Generally, it looks like a majority of the stuff to start is going to be sports related.

For my.. without having a 4k TV yet, its pointless. Likely yes my next one will be, but the current TV is more than fine for now..
And with not having content I will really want... no rush to go and buy one.

I do find it amusing.. on how both flip sides of 'quality' there are.
Though I think that the other side is mostly due to inexperience/not actually seeing the difference...
But the amount of people who have bought one of the newest TVs out there.. and are still watching a DVD or and SD box..
and you hear them say "there is no quality difference between DVD and bluray.. or SD and HD" How content some people still are with SD quality

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

So I called Rogers and they offered me the following:

- Same Ignite 100 MBPS/Unlimited internet.
- Home Phone.
- VIP TV with Nextbox 3.0 WHPVR with 3 additional boxes for the other TV's.
- All the extra things like Shomi and Centre Ice. (which is included anyway)

All for the same I am paying now give or take a couple bucks. I have heard very bad things about the WHPVR...Thoughts?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 04:10 PM
Veteran

Compared to Bell TV satellite PVR, the Nextbox 3.0 is the biggest issue with Rogers. However, it mostly works and its reliability is about on par with Bell's PVR offerings of about 5-10 ago. Maybe Rogers will shake out the bugs with time or maybe not. WHPVR mostly works as well. There is very little that cannot be fixed by rebooting the PVR and receivers and that doesn't happen very often. If the boxes are rentals, Rogers will replace them at no charge. A big plus to Rogers is WHPVR. Bell just doesn't offer it for satellite. If the boxes are rentals, Rogers will exchange them at no charge at one of their stores. Bell typically makes you wait for one to arrive by ground shipping. You can do a lot better on the home phone price with a roll your own VoIP service. Bundling might negate some of those savings.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 12:06 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, NB 3.0, 70" Sharp LED, Toshiba 72" DLP RPTV connected to computer
Hi BM65.

Interesting that you are considering moving to Rogers when SO MANY people are talking about leaving Rogers BECAUSE of the terrible interface that has been tested in some areas on the Nextbox 3 PVR.

Before you make the decision to change, you should read some of the 1,523 complaints here: New Nextbox Navigator - Rogers Community

The Rogers PVR interface has been described by people who have used other companies PVR's as the WORST there is. The Nextbox is fairly unreliable with bugs and problems that are NOT being fixed, and the interface is being changed to the UNIVERSALLY hated Navigatr. This month it will be rolled out to all of Ontario. NOBODY likes it.

And most importantly, Rogers 4K boxes will be using the new Navigatr interface. Rogers has a 4K set-top box available now - but it is NOT a PVR. The Rogers 4K PVR comes out mid April - and will run Navigatr.

There isn't much 4K content available. Search the 4K thread on the Rogers forums for a more complete list of what's available.

I would recommend you wait and get your 4K from Netflix and some of the other streaming services. I've been researching them myself. Several are US based - and to get them you will need to get an American credit card and give them a US address and then 'spoof' your location using a VPN to trick the streaming service into thinking you are located in the US.

There are a bunch of streaming services that are starting to offer 4K content. It's worth it for you to do a little research before you (make a possible mistake by) choosing Rogers.

To summarize - the Rogers PVR is very, very poorly designed. But if you can stomach an unreliable box that is hard to use, and was designed by idiots, then you can have access to some 4K content on Shomi (which will soon give access to some of the 4K content that is on Netflix).
metalhawk and Hooter like this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your thoughts ^^^...it certainly seems like you have some major issues with Rogers....I have decided to wait it out and see what happens. I think this will be a transitional year for 4K and I think it would be a good idea to proceed cautiously.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 04:24 PM
Veteran

Rogers Nextbox is definitely the worst PVR on the BDU market. I've used Bell and Shaw satellite PVRs as well and they are both better than Rogers Nextbox in terms of usability and reliability. The only redeeming factor in the Rogers Nextbox product is the Whole Home feature. If you don't want that, stick with Bell.
Hooter likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 09:32 PM
Veteran

Other than the RTN software (and now the navigatr)... which I would agree is a major part of the 'experience' with the box.

I would argue about the reliability of the boxes... at least in my experience. My NB3 has been rock solid.

But my house, the signal is SPOT ON, whole home properly set up. All the TV boxes are on UPSs, etc.. so very rarely run into any issues.

But not everyone has that luck.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 04:57 PM
Veteran

I remember when I switched from BEV to Rogers (more than 10 y ears back). I only had the most basic STB (2700?) and Rogers was offering me an HD PVR (even though I didn't even have an HD tv at the time). I knew that the user interface on their boxes was poor but I'm a software guy and I figured it's just a matter of a firmware update, surely they'll fix it in the next 6-13 months. Like I said, that was 10 years ago! I finally had enough when NetBox 2 came out and it was completely unusable (way too slow, not fit for the purpose at all). I've been with Fibe now almost 2 years and am actually thinking of switching (to get the better deal). I thought NextBox 3 solved all the issues of NextBox 2 but it looks like they took a step back with this recent "upgrade".

So maybe "waiting" won't really help.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 05:07 PM
Veteran

The NextBox 3 solved the performance (sort of) and small disk issues of NextBox 2. It also provides 8 tuners which is very nice. Most of the other issues remain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in