Nextbox only issue? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-10, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
pvj

Nextbox only issue?

Has anyone else had this happen to them.
Every few months 3,4 ,5 whatever,I randomly lose channels from all my Nextbox terminals 4642,8642,9865.Black screen only.Reboot does not fix.A reauthorization does not fix.
Not all channels and I couldn't tell you exactly which ones but the same time after time when this issue reoccurs.
Like 476,586,494,496,4398,500 etc i'm not going through hundreds of channels to find out how many are gone.. My other 3250 and 4250 boxes work fine and this issue never happens to them.That's why I insist with Rogers that it is a Nextbox issue every time I call in and the problem has always been in the network. The time before today I was told this is a known Cisco issue and they were working on it.Yea right for well over a year.They also wanted to send a tech out which I refused ,not wasting my time and his looking for a ghost that's not inside my house.Level 2 tech supervisor was a joke really .I am a tech by trade not in cable but surely to god there should be some logic and common sense by the people answering support calls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-11, 12:29 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Are you on WHPVR (Whole Home PVR) or are these stand-alone units? Usually a reboot fixes these sorts of issues, but if not, perhaps you have a signal strength issue?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...also-pace.html

Or a WHPVR issue which would require a visit by a technician.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-11, 08:51 AM
Veteran

My first thought as well, might be a signal issue.

Not that you have done anything wrong yourself, etc.

The newer boxes, are MUCH more sensitive to signal issues than the older ones.

It could be something as simple as a splitter going bad, etc.. that the drop is not effecting the older boxes.. but is enough for the newer ones.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-11, 11:12 AM
Veteran

It could also be a network issue. Network communications issues affect things like search, timers, VOD, guide updates, channel remapping and authorization. It can also trigger obscure bugs in the firmware. These boxes need to be rebooted at least once a week since they seem to change network state internally after a few days. This has been described by some CSRs as "serious communications issues" or "one way mode." Rebooting resets it to normal. The Nextboxes seem to depend a lot more on network communications that some previous boxes.

Quote:
They also wanted to send a tech out which I refused ,not wasting my time
The issue is that Rogers has a set of procedures that start with sending out a tech, or two or, in some cases, 3 before they will escalate the issues to a higher level. That will include replacing the Nextbox PVR or receiver. Once Rogers is satisfied that it's not a customer location or equipment issue, they will then escalate it to a higher level. Sending out a tech may seem like a waste of time but it's the way Rogers works. Trying to get things done any other way is like fighting city hall.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-12, 11:40 AM
Rookie

Hello pvj,

The issue you are describing sounds like a signal issue which does require a tech. I understand you do not want one but I feel that would solve your issue. If you're ok with having one sent feel free to PM me.

Thanks
RogersMahmood
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-14, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
pvj

Not a WHPVR setup. Box rebooted but no change.Same symptoms as every other time this problem appears.
The next day I got a recorded call from Rogers stating they needed more information about my problem so I pressed 1 or whatever to connect.The guy in engineering couldn't even see my 9865 or know I had one and asked for the serial number even though it is on my account plugged in and working.
Says maybe I need a signal booster.Um I have one you guys installed it.
Later that same day the channels are all working again so I called in and canceled the tech visit.
I did tell them that maybe when they fix a problem and close off a ticket that they need to go back in and tag the account with the fix.
And after I called in and cancelled the tech visit I still got an automated reminder message about the scheduled tech visit.Rogers seriously needs to get better at the way they handle service.It's no wonder they are bleeding customers . This makes 4-5 times now with the exact same problem.It reappears every few months so I can't believe it's a splitter or a signal issue.I can believe it's a software bug in the network as every time I complain they fix it without a tech visit.I think ExDilbert may be right.They would rather roll out a tech then escalate a problem to engineering.One support guy mentioned a bad box.Listen to me it's all 3 Nextboxes did they all go bad at the exact same time?The first level techs might as well be robots they just read from a script.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-14, 10:52 AM
Veteran

I suggest you get a tech out to replace the "booster box", inspect all the connections and check the signal levels. It may even be a good idea to get the booster box removed. Unless there are major neighborhood line problems or signal level issues, it shouldn't be necessary unless the line is split several times. If that fails, get the 9865 replaced. It won't fix every issue with the 9865 but it should fix the channel issues.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-15, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
pvj

There are 7 connections
5 Digital boxes,1 Telephone and 1 Modem.

But the problem isn't just the 9865.It's every Nextbox in the house 4642,8642,9865.They either all work fine or they all have the problem together.So I can't believe the problem is inside my house wiring unless the booster was the problem.Outside feed to the house was replaced last summer when the idiot neighbour's fence contractor didn't get a locate done.
But that is too infrequent to only have a bad booster every 3-4 months for me to think that's it.Like I mentioned in the first post I was told the previous time that this was a known Cisco issue.Should have recorded that call I guess.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-15, 01:02 AM
Veteran

I tend to agree but I would do all the steps I suggested above. (Just did with some other Nextbox issues.) Once that is done, Rogers will have no choice but to escalate the issues. I get the impression that Rogers is beyond their level of competence with the Nextbox technology. The more people that report the issues, go through Rogers service calls procedures and get the tickets escalated to a higher level, the sooner they will take the issues seriously and make it a priority to fix them.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-15, 08:54 AM
Veteran

The 'known issue' thing I think is often just a catch all they say to placate the customer

If it is? I have never seen it... I have a NB3 and 2 4642s, and not ones have had the issue. NB3 since a few days after release.. and the 4642s since they were still on the SARA firmware.

There is no rhyme/reason as to WHEN this is happening? Time of day, or specific day?
MOST of the time, when its a street/node level issue.. tends to more happen on PEAK times.
Had that on my street for a while.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-15, 11:00 AM
Veteran

Every time I call tech support my receivers are reauthorized. Maybe the problem reported here is why. If this is the only method Rogers has of fixing the problem then I've got to wonder what is going on in their engineering department.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-15, 08:45 PM

pvj: Over two years ago, Rogers installed a booster inside the house because the signal coming from the street was not strong enough. This year, a tech visit showed that the booster was no longer needed because the signal strength coming into the house was stronger and the boosted signal was overpowering the Nextbox. So in my case the booster had not gone bad, it was a case of Rogers engineering fixing a signal problem that then caused a problem for me.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-15, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
pvj

Well it "appears" that maybe these affected channels are on SDV. The last couple of days in the morning I noticed 3 channels I checked, 476 (CP24HD), 586 (TWNHD) and 494 (TSNHD) come up black and then go to a "This channel is currently not available". When I reported the problem to Rogers I never got the notice just a black screen.So maybe it is a SDV problem.Funny thing is these channels that give the unavailable message in the morning seem to work better at night. I'd think that "traffic" would be higher at night with the SSP channels in use.But who really knows how Rogers runs the network or if they even know themselves. Maybe I will get them in and check the levels especially coming in from the box.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 12:38 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Your problem sounds like a signal issue. Check your signal and see the following FAQ on checking the signal and SDV issues:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...ml#post1166439

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-16, 12:17 PM
Veteran

I get similar issues here with shows not recording and channels showing black screens. This sometimes occurs at the same time so they may be related. Had 3 techs out and they all said the cabling and signal level are fine. The signal level is on the low end of acceptable but the S/NR seems to be very good so I'm not concerned about it. The odd thing is that channels mapped in two places act differently. That makes me suspect it may be a channel mapping issue. Lower channels appear to be more reliable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in