Upgrade or Replace the iHDD on 9865 (NextBox 3.0) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-12-09, 01:25 PM

I used a 1TB WD red drive. I choose it for its low power consumption. I keep the PVR in a mostly closed cabinet and found the original drive was making the space warmer than I liked. Not too warm but still not to my liking. The temperature in the space is lower with new drive.

As I wanted to keep a the recordings on the old drive so I tried duplicating it by doing a sector backup/restore using Arconis. Within a few minutes I gave up hope on the process working as Arconis reported it had found bad sectors. I let it complete and installed the new drive. To my surprise the PVR booted OK, but all recordings were lost. I felt I had half a victory as my settings for shows to be recorded was still intact. That victory was short lived as the PVR would not record as per the schedule, nor could I pause live TV or record live TV. I gave up, used Windows diskpart to re-initialize the drive, reinstalled it and let the PVR format. All is well now.

Two take aways: check the power consumption on the drive you choose to use, do not bother to try to duplicate the drive unless you are willing to write off the time it takes to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 12:55 PM

Does anyone know if you can use a NextBox 3.0 WITHOUT a hard drive? I have an old unit with a dead hard drive which I have subsequently removed. I will use this as a spare unit upstairs and I don't need to record anything on it. I would like to use it in place of my NextBox 2.0 which is very slow.

Thanks.
post #63 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 01:25 PM
Veteran

It won't boot correctly without a hard drive. Most SATA hard drives will work so finding a cheap replacement should not be that difficult. For best results use a 1TB surveillance hard disk drive from WD or Seagate. They will also work in a PC when the NextBox is no longer needed. The cost about $70-$75.

post #64 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 01:46 PM

Hmm that sucks. I will try to find an old (thin) drive to put in then.
post #65 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 03:31 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm not sure but I thought it would boot without an iHDD, or perhaps it was with a non-working iHDD. It may depend on production date of the 9865?

If not, as mentioned above, a very inexpensive drive would turn it into a PVR again...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #66 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 10:34 PM
Veteran

It's possible it will boot without an HDD. There are lots of reports of boot failure due to a failed HDD. Only way to know for sure is to try it. If it doesn't work then put in a drive.
post #67 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 07:36 PM

Has anyone tried cloning to a 2TB drive to see if it keeps the recordings and expands to the 2TB limit?

My PVR is freezing overnight every day requiring me to pull the power to get it back up and running... I'm going to try replacing the drive to see if it is causing the issue.

Also, is it worth it to pay $15 more for a WD Purple over a WD Blue?
post #68 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Surveillance drives are better than standard PC drives for video applications. The failure rate is lower and warranty is better as well. Seagate also makes surveillance drives and has a better overall track record for drive reliability.
post #69 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 10:52 PM

Anyone using Windows, just go to hddguru.com and get the free HDD Raw Copy Tool. If you have both drives connected to your PC it's as simple as SOURCE>DESTINATION>START

Mine ran for about 4 hours, and after I had all my recordings transferred - did not need to authorize my box.

Last edited by Cybergy; 2019-02-18 at 05:17 AM.
post #70 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 03:13 PM

Hello everyone,

I have read most of the posts about Nextbox by Cisco 9865HD. We have two of them in our home. One works well and the other one is in an eternal boot mode. I bought an exact model of the HDD and replaced it to no avail. I took the machine to the outlet where the other Cisco 9865HD is and attached it to that cable outlet to no avail. So I have discounted signal strength problem in the house and also the HDD problem. Does anyone have any other suggestion? We bought this unit from Rogers during their Rent-to-Own program so unfortunately it is ours now and Rogers will NOT service it. I don't know what else to do. I would appreciate anyone's input as to my next step.
post #71 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 03:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although you checked the "bad" unit in the "good" location, have you checked your signal strength or called Rogers to check the signal at your home or neighbourhood. Sometimes minor differences in the box itself can be affected by a borderline signal. Boot issues are often related to signal and rarely the box or iHDD. What is displayed on the front panel during the boot, or after several boot attempts?

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...also-pace.html

post #72 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 04:41 PM
Veteran

More details are required. What happens when the unit is plugged in or rebooted? The display should go something like boot, -01-, -02, ..., -05-, ... If it doesn't get to boot, it's likely the hardware. If it gets stuck on -05- it's probably a signal issue. Not sure what the other numbers mean. I would try unplugging the unit for several hours to let it completely cool off and try again.

A call to Rogers tech support might help to diagnose the issue. They usually blame the hardware but might be able to diagnose another issue.

My experience is that switching power supplies are a frequent cause of failure in computer based devices. They can often be repaired by a good tech. The 9865s are getting to the age where power supply or other caps might start failing. That often results in random failures such as rebooting or failure to boot. There is a thread on replacing caps in Bell PVRs. Some of the info, such as identifying failed caps, would apply to the 9865. There was a repair shop in the GTA that did 9865 repairs. Can't find the link now but they may still be in business. Another option would be to purchase a working 9865 on Kijiji or similar site. Prices are typically $100-$200, about the price of a repair. Even a non-working unit might provide enough parts for repair or be easily repaired itself if it just needs a new disk.
post #73 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-05-29, 12:27 AM

I have a rent-to-own NB3 9865HD that I now own and it's been giving me problems lately. I cannot record any shows nor pause live TV. I found a post on Rogers support forum that describes the same issues, but the solution posted was to exchange it at a Rogers store, which I cannot do. I can see old recordings on the box, but when I tried to play them they don't work. I also tried scheduling new recordings but they don't record successfully. And I'm unable to pause or review live TV.

Is this an indication of a bad/dead drive? If it is, I will buy a new iHDD and do the swap using the instructions in this thread. But I just want to check whether the iHDD is the issue here. I've seen others in this thread posting they see freezing as a symptom of a bad drive. But when I skimmed through this thread, I didn't see any posts about not being able to play recordings or pause/review live TV.

Thanks.
post #74 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-05-29, 09:54 AM

If it boots and you can use it as a tuner, but cannot pause live TV or record programming, or watch previous recordings, then it is very likely an iHDD issue. A bad drive will often make a "clicking" sound that is out of the ordinary. This is the head trying to read recordings or make recordings.

Sometimes there are issues with signal strength that can preclude some recordings, but you could usually then watch recordings that you've made previously. Call Rogers and have them check your signal strength. You can also check the signal yourself:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...also-pace.html

"For 9865 (NextBox 3.0) & 8642 (NB2.0) & 4642 with latest firmware using the remote:
1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the PVR
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section where you can browse all kinds of information

The "level/power" should be between -10 and +10, with zero being about optimum.

The S/N ratio is good if it’s at about 35 dB or higher, although a good HD signal can be received with slightly lower numbers. If your S/N is around 30-32 (or less) though, that could be a source of problems."

post #75 of 109 (permalink) Old 2019-09-11, 06:28 AM
Rookie

Hi, after reading some posts of yours on drive replacement, I’m having trouble with mine! Installed a new 1tb drive, connected the nextbox, it says boot, then conn and it stays at pend. Is this normal or did I miss something? Rogers says it a problem with the box, thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in