WHPVR filters - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

WHPVR filters

I am splitting this discussion from the 8 Tuner Thread. Specifically, the question is, when Rogers introduced the WHPVR feature, filters had to be installed on the modem+home phone+legacy STBs (anything before the introduction of the 8642/4642 units). My understanding was, once the filters were in place, any time you wanted to make a change to your modem, home phone or legacy STBs, you had to call Rogers to make the proper adjustments. Specifically, that would mean, roll a truck to do any re-wiring and moving of filters. Am I incorrect in that assertion? I took that information from Post 308 in the Whome Home PVR in Ontario thread. The 8 Tuner thread makes me now think I am, or at least confused.

Specifically, my setup consists of a Docsis 3 modem that is owned and hooked up to Tek Savvy, owned 8300HD STB, owned 8642 STB and a rental 9865HD unit. I also have two Digital Adapter units that are on free rental and collecting dust. I fully understand the filter will need to be on the modem and the 8300HD (which are right beside each other in the office/second bedroom, so it will mean one filter). Eventually, I will want to change the 8300HD to a 4642. I have been putting off asking Rogers to install WHPVR because I wanted to avoid getting 'dingged' twice, once for the WHPVR install and once again later when I go to upgrade the unit.

Another example would have been yesterday, when I swapped my rental 8642 for the 9865HD. I just disconnected the wiring myself in 2 minutes, took it to the Rogers store 5 minutes away, and I was back watching TV all under 15 minutes. Last thing I want is Rogers to roll a truck out when I want to make such swaps.

I can do all the wiring myself which is why this is so aggravating. Wish Rogers would just give you the filters if you asked.

By the way, if I am wrong, we should probably clarify/change the link on the first page of the Whole Home PVR thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 01:55 PM

I'm not entirely sure what your question is. With WHPVR you can still swap equipment without a truck roll. And no, they will not allow you to install WHPVR on your own.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well specifically...
Quote:
3-After install is done you as a customer CAN NOT swap a piece of equipment at a rogers store (this is in term and condtions)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=308

Is that true?

If I had Rogers install WHPVR, they would put a filter on my modem and 8300HD. When I go later and buy a 4642, either from a retailer or from a 3rd party, will I be able to remove the 8300HD off my account and add the 4642 onto my account without a truck roll and a charge?

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 04:19 PM

No that is not true. You can do all of that on your own.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What if I wanted to add another legacy device or home phone after the WHPVR installation. Would they let me do that, or would they have to send a truck?
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 05:35 PM

Home Phone requires truck roll no matter what. Legacy devices do not require filters as they don't operate in the same frequency range as MoCA and you can self install those.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

We should probably fix the first page on the WHPVR thread.

To be clear:

1. Filters are required for WHPVR. They need to be installed by Rogers and will be installed on your Home Phone and Modem. You can not install the filters yourself.

2. Filters are not required to be installed on legacy STBs (branded as Scientific Atlanta).

3. Rogers does NOT have to send a truck for any hardware changes made to your cable account once WHPVR has been enabled. You can add/delete additional legacy STBs or Nextbox STBs without Rogers sending a truck.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 06:25 PM
Veteran

Unless things have changed... Filters should not be necessary everywhere on all devices.

My house setup, one line from the street.
Outside box spits it in two where its grounded.
Inside, one of those two, then comes to a filter. Then a spitter out to the TV lines only.
The other line then splits for home phone and Internet. No filter.

I have had the whole home pvr since first day it was available and it has been this way and has worked fine.

Now, after the initial setup (which was only one pvr and one HD box), I added a. 2nd HD box. They said they needed to send a tech to enable the whole home on it, the regular people couldn't push the 'addon' for the software for it. They wanted to try and charge me for it but I argued and got it waived.
This was quite a while ago, they may be able to do those enables now just by calling In yourself.

(With my 9865, I am getting it on a promo, so includes a tech out, even though I don't really need it per say, but am taking it so they can make sure the whole home is enabled on it)
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 09:49 PM
Veteran

In my condo, the line comes in and connects to a splitter. One port of the splitter goes to the PVR and the other a cable running to my "office" where my cable modem, home phone terminal and 4250 STB are located. So I guess that WHPVR wouldn't do me much good. On the other hand, using Ethernet is easy, as I have an outlet right behind the TV with an 8 port 100 Mb switch connected to it. Any chance WHPVR can work over Ethernet? Everywhere I've got a STB, I've got Ethernet available.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 09:54 PM
Veteran

Jamesk.

While the BOX technically supports connectivity over Ethernet... rogers does not use it this way.. all their communication is over coax.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 10:36 PM

@Jamesk

The WHPVR won't work with the 4250, if you do switch to the newer equipment, the filter goes at the point of entry.

In a condo, I would assume they would put the filter downstairs where all the cables from each unit terminate. MoCA essential works by networking every MoCA capable device split off the same line. The filter blocks the MoCA signal from leaving your premises, otherwise you'll end up networking your PVRs with your neighbours PVR.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 07:46 AM
Veteran

^^^^
I'm aware the 4250 doesn't support this. I was just pointing out what my current setup is. Does MoCA have any affect on cable modem or home phone? That's what my concern is.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 09:04 AM
Veteran

I just added a 9865. Rogers will not activate WHPVR on it without sending out a tech. It looks like swapping units is Ok. Adding WHPVR units, even to an existing system, seems to require a tech. By the sound of it, they are concerned about the filter installation. I don't doubt they just need to send a signal from the head end but the CSR tech I talked to refused until a service tech was sent out.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

yyzlhr, can you response to that? ExDilbert is saying a truck roll is required to add a unit into his WHPVR setup. I thought you said it wasn't...???

Just want to get to the bottom of this.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Can someone explain just what this filter is for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in