NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1 - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzlhr View Post
As I indicated earlier in the thread the beta testing was already underway when you were asking questions about when beta testers were going to receive their units. Also, I doubt there's much to test, it runs the same software as the 8642.
Well, the current Nextbox sucks so bad, they were forced to release the new one before the beta stage was finished because there are so many improvements. Also, the beta testers will likely give better feedback than the general public, so their suggestions will get looked at first. With any new product, there is always a deluge of complaints, most of which are just due to user error and not reading the instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandude_12345 View Post
Does anyone know if they currently have the free PVR Rental promotion that they will continue to receive it if they upgrade to the Nextbox 3.0?
It's compatible with new customer offers that waive the rental fees. I'm assuming retention deals will be the same, or they'll be added over time. Time to start watching all the stuff on my 8642 right away if that's the case.
post #123 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Well, the current Nextbox sucks so bad, they were forced to release the new one before the beta stage was finished because there are so many improvements. Also, the beta testers will likely give better feedback than the general public, so their suggestions will get looked at first. With any new product, there is always a deluge of complaints, most of which are just due to user error and not reading the instructions.
The beta testing had already started before this thread was even created. Given there is really nothing new here, I would say the beta period allotted was probably sufficient.

post #124 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
I'm curious why this unit has 8 tuners while the Cisco website says it has only 6. Was this designed specifically for Rogers?? I just tried it out at the store and it seems to perform well.
Possibly. The 9865 info is only listed on the US website. In the US, almost all cable providers use CableCard. The latest cablecard specification can only support 6 tuners so there is no point in releasing an 8 tuner product for the US market.
post #125 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 05:10 PM
Rookie

Just installed NextBox 3.0

The new Nextbox 3.0 is available at Rogers today. Just picked it up today. Response time is lot better but not perfect. Love that I can record 7 programs... I will play around with it a little more and report back to guys!!
post #126 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Its available in Rogers stores for pick-up? Purchase only or can rental consumers swap out an 8642 for this unit?
post #127 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 05:19 PM
Veteran

When I was down at the info thing today, they did say its an 8 tuner QAM, is not IP.. so it may be slightly different than the default specs on the site.

It was VERY fast and responsive compared to the 2.0. Night and day.
Performance on playback, ROD, etc all improved. Even the load times on the 4642 playback is quicker.

The promotions of where I was, gave me 6 months of it to demo, so will have a good time to test it before having to pay.
Can confirm the rental price is the same.. as long as your location has it, you should be able to just swap out the rental no issues
(not sure about other promotions, if you are already on the rent to own, etc)
post #128 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 05:22 PM
Rookie

NextBox 3.0

It's a lot smaller than my previous unit. I'm recording 7 channels right now as a test
post #129 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 05:31 PM
Rookie

I'm impressed so far with the response time. A lot faster finally.... please rogers don't screw it up with updates that will slow it down.
post #130 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 05:44 PM
Veteran

How do you connect it to your tablet? I know an app is required but does the unit require an ethernet connection to your home router?? or wireless router?? Also, are channel changes really quicker?
post #131 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 05:52 PM
Veteran

The act of tuning the channel still takes a second, but there is no longer the 3+ second input lag you sometimes got when pressing the number buttons.

As of right now all tablet stuff is done through the Home Edition app, no real changes there from prior to the 3.0 release.
But they are working on acquiring alot more rights for things so they CAN stream by other means and allow it outside the house. A major thing they are working on.

Unit still only connects in via the coax
post #132 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 06:53 PM

Location: Ottawa, Canada, CISCO 9865 x 5, Veteran, Canadian Forces & RCMP
Nextbox 3 WHPVR

Can you have two Nextbox 3 in your WHPVR network.

Thanks
post #133 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Just swapped my 8642 at retail. No cost difference, I opt'ed into the rent to own option...

Powers on fast, guide is fast, channel change is fast, big HDD 1TB, 1080i/p support, 3DTV ready...

On demand is fast too...

Now ready for fall TV programming & not messing around with time shifting to get all my shows...
post #134 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 08:05 PM

To clarify the rental price is the same but the rent to own price is $2 more than the 8642 and if your promo includes a free HDPVR most of those promos will be compatible with the 9865 as of today.
post #135 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 08:49 PM
Veteran

I wonder if they want people to swap out their 8642 boxes for this one

Tags
audio , digital box , rogers , sound , television

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in