NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1 - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 09:28 AM
Veteran

@ryandude,

Well, they PARTIALY have that already, with the whole home PVR already.

In some ways, I can understand they reigning in at least to start, partially what the box can do..
The more separate features you enable on the box... the more TRAINING for SUPPORT needs to be done, etc.

And we all know how great the tech support, etc is most of the time with rogers >.<
As well as the track record with the current nextbox.. they are better to take BABY steps, and release stuff WORKING rather than 'here is a feature!... oh it doesn't work properly half the time'

At min, this is at least putting their box more on par, with the Fibe current offerings, to compete with those features.. and after it stabilizes.. they bring out more which will put them ahead.

----

Bigest question I will ask, which seems we don't have a full answer yet on, is how the channels are received.. QAM or IP, a mix, etc

I cant wait to go down, and have them sign me up to get one (I didn't get the invite like Ryked, but am supposed to be signed up at the thing is my understanding). Hell, even if I have to pay the extra outlet fee (as I may have too many boxes already :P)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 10:00 AM
Veteran

Since this box appears to be a QAM/IP hybrid i'll assume they can eventually add apps to it using the built in DOC3 modem. I think it would be interesting if they could add a Netflix app to the mix, or even migrate some channels onto IP using H.264/MPEG4.
post #93 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 12:24 PM
Rookie

@gdkitty - When I first hooked it up the new box would not connect to the whole home system. As it turns out you are only allowed to have 2 pvr's on the whole home system. Like I said in an earlier post, took back both 8642's and I am now running 2 4642's and the 9865. Seems okay so far.

Have a great long weekend everybody, gone until Tuesday....

post #94 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Correct, only 2 PVRs, and up to 4 HD boxes on the whole home system.

I currently, only have 1PVR and 2 HD boxes.. so I should be FINE to connect this guy. (will likely actually remove one of the HD boxes temporarily, as I only have 3 TV's :P
post #95 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 12:56 PM
Veteran

I'd also be interested to know if channel changing is any quicker, I know Bell Fibe channel changes is lightning fast
post #96 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 02:42 PM
Veteran

@thenewdc

Ryked did reply on a previous page, that the responsiveness is awesome.. so i would guess that is a YES. I will hopefully see for myself next week when i visit.

Its the same guide, tweeked.. and on a more powerful box. I wonder how much of the current guide issues stem from hardware alone.
post #97 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
I'd also be interested to know if channel changing is any quicker, I know Bell Fibe channel changes is lightning fast
Rogers is touting faster channel changes as one of the features, but based on the way the technology works it is impossible for it to be as fast as Bell Fibe.
post #98 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
they are better to take BABY steps, and release stuff WORKING rather than 'here is a feature!... oh it doesn't work properly half the time'
The problem with this is that even the baby step features don't work correctly. The real issue is that Rogers is totally incompetent when it comes to PVR technology. Rogers is not a baby company but they act like one in this regard. They need to partner with a company that knows how to implement PVR technology correctly (as Bell did with Dishnet) and just get it working properly. Would Apple or Samsung be where they are today if their products worked as badly as the crap that Rogers provides to its customers? Would Netflix be where they are today if their VOD worked as poorly as Rogers' offerings? Rogers needs to spend some of its billions of dollars in annual profits on developing reliable consumer products. The Nextbox (2.0 and 3.0) is a good place to start.
post #99 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 03:53 PM
Veteran

Oh I agree.

HOPEFULLY this box is a step in the right direction though. With the nextobx 2.0, it was really a tote it as 'best around' and even ontop of the software being a very big failure in implementation, the hardware was years behind.
They are at least, using pretty much the latest tech now.

Lets hope that they are working towards that direction with this guy.
post #100 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 10:48 AM
Veteran

When this PVR from Rogers does finally get released for general consumer use expect it to be expensive. Here's my take on cost:

Buy outright

$800+

Rent to own

$40/month based on a two year contract at end you own the PVR.

Just rent

$25/month(at which time the present 8649 will drop in price for rent only)

The only problem I have with these PVRS be it Rogers Bell or who have you, instead of having "Oh my PVR can record 4 shows, no my can record 6 shows, no mines better it can record 8 shows.How about No mine can record 8 shows but you only need one PVR as you can hook up 8 TVs to this PVR with 8 remotes!!

So basically instead of having 3,4,5 receivers in your home you only need one with(in this c ase 8 remotes)to control and watch your 8 TVs.By using UHF remotes(that one that you can be in another room to operate it with) using different remote addresses like Bell does, that would be alot better. You could save so much money on any additional receivers.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #101 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 01:23 PM

There will be a price premium on this new box, but nowhere near as dramatic as you've indicated.

I also don't understand the feasibility of feeding 8 TVs with one STB. I certainly don't want to run HDMI cables all over the house and at such long distances the costs of those cables would be quite expensive.

What this box theoretically could do is feed live and recorded shows to a bunch of IP only set top boxes which are cheaper to acquire then the current hybrid QAM/IP boxes.
post #102 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 03:24 PM
Veteran

Well I'm not that technical in this area so not sure what the difference is the boxes you mention IP boxes vs QAM/IP boxes.

As for the cost for HDMI cable? that I don't know either.

But you could always run coax cable for the other TVs either then your main one.

All I'm saying is it would be nice if they only had one box, but I know that'll never happen as the provider will lose too much money either thru rental fees or purchasing separate boxes for each tv.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #103 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 03:52 PM

Wouldn't we assume that if we were to rent the box it would be what the beta testers are being charged (but credited) now? What was is 25 dollars?
post #104 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Question

not sure what the beta testers are paying, but I assume it'll be more considering what this can do compared to the 8649.

Although it doesn't affect me as I'm no longer a Rogers sub, for those that are or maybe in the future it'll affect them. As to what exact extent, that I'm not 100% sure of.But nonetheless I believe(and only my opinion) it'll cost more to buy or rent.Whether that pans out that way I can't say for certain, but I guess time will tell.

post #105 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 07:21 PM

@MCIBUS a coax cable would only provide SD quality.

And the box will cost more to rent, not by much though. The purchase cost will remain the same.

Tags
audio , digital box , rogers , sound , television

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in