NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1 - Page 57 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #841 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 01:05 PM

Had major sound drop out issues yesterday and had this high pitched squeal for the past few days. Is this only a DD issue which can be fixed by switching to stereo or is it all settings? Would changing the field from wide/narrow/normal make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 01:37 PM
Rookie

I had issues with totally losing the digital signal, it would switch back to analog. The only way to fix it is a reboot

Now I am also experiencing recordings with constant cut outs as flips from digital to analog, these only last a few seconds and are entirely random

This happened early on with the 8300 as well and went away after several updates

Why can't they just wait to push new tech out there instead?
post #843 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maasai View Post
Had major sound drop out issues yesterday and had this high pitched squeal for the past few days. Is this only a DD issue which can be fixed by switching to stereo or is it all settings? Would changing the field from wide/narrow/normal make a difference?
You got the 16kHz distortion/tone too eh.
Only a reboot stops it, and expect it to come back maybe several days later and require another reboot to stop.

It's important you call Rogers and complain about a 16kHz sound from the 9865 bothering you (and your teenager or dog). When I called in about it they claimed not to know about it. Anyone who has experienced this please call Rogers and file a complaint.

And if you're older and an no longer hear up to 16kHz, but your dog seems to go crazy when you're watching TV from your 9865, call and complain too.

Last edited by neilpalmer400; 2013-10-31 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Typos

post #844 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 05:53 PM
Rookie

NB3 problem

I obtained a nb3 about 6 weeks ago on a rent to own deal. I also have a nb2 with one terrabyte hdd. I am running them in parallel, recording the same programs on each. The other night I went to erase some recordings on the nb3 that I had watched on the nb2, erasing the oldest one first. [ It seems to take longer to respond to an erase command than the 2. ] After erasing one show, I could no longer access the other recordings of the same show. Also, it then only showed two of the shows out of 20. After rebooting, [unplugging,] it would let me erase 1 show and then freeze again. I plan on taking this piece of @#$% back and just living with my nb2 with sara firmware. Any thoughts? Bill
post #845 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 08:07 PM

Last night when I finished watching a recorded show I turned off the system to go to bed. The NB3 gave the DnLD indicator as it often does. When I got up this morning the NB3 was still displaying DnLD so I tried turning it on and a message about an update being done was displayed on the TV. Since it had been going for over 10 hours I rebooted it by pulling the plug. It displayed the Boot message and then the cursor started its moving display (apparently called Vegas mode by Rogers tech's). This went on for multiple hours so I tried a hard reset again with the same result. I also unplugged the cable from the NB3 and plugged it directly into the TV and was able to get the basic channels so there obviously is a signal on the cable.

I called Rogers and they had me reboot and then they tried to send a signal to the box, but it didn't work. They then put me on hold to do a check, and came back and said that a software push had been done last night and some people were having problems. They've opened a ticket with tech support and supposedly I will get a new software push tonight or tomorrow. For now the cursor keeps going around and around.

I was surprised about the software push as I thought I had the new version. I hope that they can fix this and it is not a box problem as I will then lose all my recorded programs when I swap it.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
post #846 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-01, 01:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
NEVER, and I can't say that loud enough, unplug a receiver while it is downloading. The download may have already trashed the receiver but unplugging almost guarantees it will be trashed.

As for using a UPS, I've used one with PVRs for over 6 years. It's much more likely to reduce PVR problems, like burned out power supplies and corrupted hard discs, than it is to cause problems. (In that time I've had one disk failure and one failure due to a bad firmware update.) These boxes typically use switching power supplies, just like PCs, that can be damaged by power surges and dropouts. The proprietary file structures used in some of these boxes is often not very robust so a brief power dropout can easily cause the loss of some or all data on the disk.
post #847 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-01, 10:25 AM
Veteran

Seems I got the .130 update finally last night. (well didn't check yesterday, but didn't see the 'recomendations' or anything like that late last eve, so guessing it was over night).

So seems like downloaded/rebooted/installed fine here.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #848 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-01, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
NEVER, and I can't say that loud enough, unplug a receiver while it is downloading. The download may have already trashed the receiver but unplugging almost guarantees it will be trashed.
I didn't have much choice. The "download" had been going for at least 10 hours which makes no sense. Turning the NB3 on and off didn't help, so the next logical step was power cycle.
post #849 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-01, 10:36 PM

Thumbs down How can Rogers p**s thee off, let me count the ways...

Well, with one NextBox now starting to screw up every Tuesday & Friday mornings when Rogers pushes out the updates, by recording the first 3 to 4 minutes of Late Night & Conan (scheduled at 03:37a & 04:26a on CH.581 HCTVV) - yet showing the times of the recordings as being the last 3 to 4 minutes of the timeslot instead of the first 3 to 4 minutes (this started the day AFTER Rogers pushed down the 4.0.0.0130 update to my boxes and continues though I did a power disconnect reboot earlier this week) I thought I'd seen just about everything in the world Rogers could do to screw up your recording schedule.

Wrong oh coaxial cable breath !

Here's a new one for you. This Friday morning my 9865's series recording of The Daily Show With John Stewart on Ch.492 CMDYH, scheduled for 03:00-04:00a (I extend it by 30 minutes to include The Colbert Report in one recording and not miss the end of Stewart's "Moment Of Zen" or the opening of Colbert when the recording ends one show and starts another) split the show into two parts - on different channels !

It recorded 03:00-03:03a on Ch.492, then stopped, and recorded the rest of the show from 03:03-04:00a on Ch. 46 ! (both CMDYH - but what's THIS all about ?).

I wonder how many more inventive ways Rogers can come up with to screw with your recording schedule.
post #850 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 12:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I didn't have much choice. The "download" had been going for at least 10 hours which makes no sense.
I would call Rogers before unplugging the receiver. That way, it's on them if they say to unplug it. I don't know what, if any, capabilities they have in this type of situation but they may be able to prevent a bricked receiver.
post #851 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 12:57 AM

I once had a 4642 bricked after some sort of update once. It would simply show the whole home PVR indicator on the front but no time and pressing the power button would do absolutely nothing. Rebooted it several times but removing the power source and reconnecting it to no avail.

Called tech support expecting to tell me to go to a store to exchange it for another one, but they created some sort of 'case' and two hours later the box started working. Don't know if it was actually something that Rogers did or the box just magically decided to come back to life.
post #852 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 06:31 AM

I rent, so could care less if it bricks. I unplugg it almost everytime an update is pushed, since it freezes it. Not a single issue yet. At some point, if any electronic device freezes during a firmware update, you will have to unplug it. Its just that simple. Then, you have to start the process of fixing it, if it borked your device.

Do you honestly think Rogers will make it right, if they told him to unplug it, and plug it back in? Come on, its Rogers we are talking about. Hence why I never will outright own any box from Rogers.

Elite Kuro|Oppo BDP-80|Denon 890|Xbox 360|Paradigm Mon7's| Polk PSW 125 Sub
post #853 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 06:45 AM

Neil: I called Rogers about the high pitch. Here is our convo:

Rogers: HDMI or Comp?
Me: HDMI
Rogers: Into AVR or TV
Me: AVR
Rogers: Can you plug it into your TV to test?
Me: No, my TV has no speakers, hence the AVR
Rogers: Ok, but we still need to plug it into your TV to see if the sound still happens.
Me: .............

With these idiots at the front line, no wonder Rogers has never heard of this issue. I was on the phone 30 minutes, biggest waste of my time. Even tried Twitter, after 10 minutes of direct messages, trying to get it through their support heads, I am talking about a PVR, and not a bloody cellphone, I gave up. Rogers has built a wall of stupid, to keep the masses away from taking up the time of anyone who actually has a clue, so when you have a real problem, you cannot get anyone on the line, that actually has any idea what they are doing.

Elite Kuro|Oppo BDP-80|Denon 890|Xbox 360|Paradigm Mon7's| Polk PSW 125 Sub
post #854 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 08:10 AM

Back in September I had many audio drop out problems, there was no solution... so I changed the Audio setting from DD to Other and that solved my problem. I only have a 2.1 sound system, so I don't care about DD.

I received the 4.0.0.130 mid-week. After the update I didn't experience any DD Audio drop outs, I didn't even know I had the update... but then the DD Audio drop outs started again last night.

The 4.0.0.130 update somehow changed my setting back to DD.

So I've now changed it back to Other and no audio drop outs.

As another quick fix, I put a Christmas Tree timer on my 9865, so it reboots every day at 4am... so far so good.

Rogers 9865, Samsung HT-E6530, Intel NUC-Openelec XBMC, FLIRC IR, Rogers Atlas OCAP 5 remote controls everything.
post #855 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 04:15 PM
Rookie

I am at my wits end with Rogers to the point that I get a knot in my stomach every time I see their logo.

Since I got the NB3 I have had nothing but problems. One night, every time the box attempted to record something it would reboot instead. 7 recordings gone.

For 2 Wednesdays in a row, I tried to watch a recording program 15 minutes from the end. It flashed the progress bar, froze and then dropped me out of the recording and deleted all of it except for 1 minute. For this, I pay $120 a month. Unbelievable. Rogers Customer Retention tell me that they haven't had any complaints about NB3 but they have with NB2.

Last edited by 57; 2013-11-02 at 04:32 PM. Reason: OT question removed.

Tags
audio , digital box , rogers , sound , television

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in