NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 08:54 PM

Quote:
they did say its an 8 tuner QAM, is not IP..
That is very unfortunate.....Rogers anyplace TV doesnt offer any solutions for remote viewing of subscribed remote viewing.

I guess Ill need to wait and see if the Sling Player is adapted for this box. Since it has 8 effective tuners (not really but the sling player wont compete with others viewing) then it should se an excellent opportunity for multiple viewing sessions.

EC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 09:18 PM

Location: Ottawa, Canada, CISCO 9865 x 5, Veteran, Canadian Forces & RCMP
Taping Issues

If this device records 8 programs at once, can you also watch live TV or is it

like the 8642. Tape 2 and no live TV, but you can watch a previously taped

program.

Thanks
post #138 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 09:40 PM

I'd say so. The 8642s have been so buggy that Rogers would probably like to see them all replaced.

post #139 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 09:41 PM
Veteran

@thenewdc : Generaly, yes. It will be much like their other boxes as they came out.. while they will not stop sales immediately on the older ones, till stock is lower, etc.. they will generally try to push all NEW customers with it.. and convert others as they can.
With the price points GENERALLY being the same.. I don't see why anyone wouldn't.. more storage, performance, etc for the same price.

@ecarlino016: this is something they are working on. where I was, was talking with the VP of content, the guy who is sort of in charge of all the RoD, etc. The main reason is.. the rights paid for the stuff, to the maker of the content, is to view it in PRIVATE, in the home. Their comes into issues when you can remote it that way, it could be played in public where the rights have not be paid for it to be so, etc. This is something they are MAJOR working on right now though.

@sammey:
pretty much ALL boxes (even other providers) are that way.
Each tuner, denotes that you can do ONE thing with it.. either record, or play live TV.
if all the tuners are tied up with recording, they can not play live TV.
But you can play back anything that's recorded at that time.. as it plays back differently, not using a tuner
post #140 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I'd say so. The 8642s have been so buggy that Rogers would probably like to see them all replaced.
The bugs were with the software not hardware. During my limited run with RTN 4 on the 8642 a lot of the bugs have been ironed out.
post #141 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 12:34 AM
Veteran

Upgraded this evening. For some reason, my account was having problems swapping out the 8642 rental that is on a one year free rental for the 9865. It wanted to charge me a $50 installation fee. Eventually they called a CSR and had them apply a manual credit on the account. My only guestimate was it was because of the tuners the unit has and perhaps Rogers has it setup in their system as extra outlets?

The rep at the store I was at said I was the first customer that they gave the 9865 out to, so he gave me a free HDMI cable as a reward, lol. They already had the 9865 hooked up to all the TVs and was side-by-side with the 8642.

Recording three shows right now, no problem. I really like the new LED on the front of the unit. Much better and doesn't appear to "glow" nearly as much as the 8642. I am sure this will appeal to some. Like others, RTN3 is what RTN2 should had been, very fast and smooth. If it is because of the software as yyzlhr said above, then they really need to roll it out on the 8642 ASAP. I went back to my owned 8642 after playing with the 9865 and it was night and day.

One question (and slightly OT). I noticed some in this thread said they had the WHPVR active with the 9865. I was under the impression that once you had the filters installed, you couldn't make any manual swaps and Rogers HAD to roll the trucks at all times for any changes, including box swaps. Has that changed? I have been waiting to find a good deal on a 4642 to replace my owned 8300HD before having Rogers come and install the filters to avoid getting dinged twice...
post #142 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 12:51 AM

The $50 fee was because the rep just had no clue what they were doing, technically every box you pick up at a store has a $50 fee but reps are trained to work around it so that the customer does not actually get charged.

Customers were always allowed to swap boxes at retail even with WHPVR, this is nothing new.

From my limited run of RTN 4 on the 8642, it seems like a lot of the bugs are gone now, but the performance still isn't there yet. Guide scrolling is still choppy, and browsing the PVR list isn't as fast as it should be. All of this is because of poor implementation and poor coding IMO. Having see the 8642 runs much more advanced guides for Cox and Videotron with great fluidity. The 9865 is night and day compared to the 8642 simply because of the processing capabilities. Cisco/Rogers are doing the same thing as Android in the early days. Roll out fast hardware to compensate for inefficient coding.
post #143 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 12:54 AM
Veteran

Probably a dumb question, but can't Cisco just take the code Cox and Videtron use and copy/paste it for Rogers?
post #144 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 01:28 AM

The software that Videotron and Cox are using is not designed by Cisco so they can't just copy it. Videotron contracted Alticast and Cox contracted NDS to design the software used on their 8642s.

RTN is created by Cisco and is essentially a successor to SARA. It's pretty barebones and most of the features are pretty much set in stone. It's designed for smaller MSOs that don't have the time and money to custom design something so they can just take RTN and slap their logo on it and call it a day.
post #145 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 08:24 AM

Hi do you know if the Netbox 3.0 will be available in the Antlantic or only Ontario?
post #146 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 09:13 AM

Location: Ottawa, Canada, CISCO 9865 x 5, Veteran, Canadian Forces & RCMP
Alebowgm,

I notice you mentioned filters, all you need is one filter. It must be installed behind the

internet and home phone connection. You then connect all devices to it. You can move

your devices all over the place, no need for Rogers to attend. I do this all the time and

have never had a problem.
post #147 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 09:36 AM

the call display on screen, can you disable that? or if you have rogers home phone and tv you're stuck with seeing who's calling?
thanks
post #148 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Are their any other service providers in North America offering an 8 Tuner PVR? Also, since Rogers has announced they are developing a Netflix like service, i'm wondering if it will become an app on these boxes taking into account they do have a DOC3 Modem built-in that remains unused at this time.
post #149 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 10:01 AM
Rookie

@takeaim

To turn off or modify TV call display go to channel 975 & select manage call display pop-up.
post #150 of 2415 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzlhr View Post
The software that Videotron and Cox are using is not designed by Cisco so they can't just copy it. Videotron contracted Alticast and Cox contracted NDS to design the software used on their 8642s.

RTN is created by Cisco and is essentially a successor to SARA. It's pretty barebones and most of the features are pretty much set in stone. It's designed for smaller MSOs that don't have the time and money to custom design something so they can just take RTN and slap their logo on it and call it a day.
Cisco owns NDS now, so the COX software could be an option, I suppose.

Either way, I'd expect the current Rogers software not to be long term, as it looks like Cisco isn't even committing to their Vantage software, with the NDS purchase. All of Cisco's new materials reference the NDS Snowflake platform...

Tags
audio , digital box , rogers , sound , television

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in