Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waterloo, Rogers
I've been using the approx 20 hr limit as a feature to get us to watch and delete shows but I finally broke down and took took the plunge.
I got the WD5000AAKB from Canada Computers.
Knowing I was going to do this soon, I've been searching for the tamper proof T10 bit from several places and I concur with others in this thread about their reports. The first guy at Canadian Tire had no clue what I wanted and pointed me to the socket section. I eventually found the T15 & T20 tamper proof bits and showed it to him and asked where was the T10 version. Even after I had educated him on what a tamper proof bit, he wasn't willing to help me look. Brutal. I tried a second CT store and this guy knew what I wanted but said they didn't have it. I then told him the sku number of the set and sure enough they had it but I didn't want to pay that price (btw, the set was in with auto headlight parts display). Someone had said Snap-on but they wanted $11 for shipping the $8 bit. Another had said Home Depot but I couldn't find it there even with the knowledgeable tool guy who was willing to help. I got the bit at Sayal. They had a 7 piece set for $7 and a 33 piece tamper proof for $8 (I think regular price is $18). I went with the larger set.
The first tamper proof screw came off easily. The second one I had problems with and I ended up using a T15 on that. My T10 bit was now somewhat stripped. The third (middle) screw I couldn't get off with either bit. Since I had two of three screws off, I had some play in the metal and was able to work it enough to allow me to get the case off in spite of the screw that I couldn't loosen. Yes, there is minor damage but it's only noticeable when viewed from the back. I wonder though if I should've got the 7 piece set as perhaps the quality on the larger set wasn't there which caused me to strip the screws.
Replacing the drive from that point was less than 5 minutes. Bplayer's description shows what to expect although I didn't noticed the glue until after I had the old one out. The security tab was easily removed.
It took about 15 mins for the various reboots etc. One time I looked at it and the display had "HDDF" - my first thought was hard drive failure but as soon as I thought that, the display went blank and it carried on with its initialization.
Many thanks to those who blazed the trail.