SA8000/8300HD - Internal Hard Disk Upgrade Works (Cloning too) See Post 1. - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-30, 08:59 PM

Arrow All Ready To Go

I bought the Secure Torx at Princess Auto and the WD5000AAKB at PC Cyber. I just have to wait for us to watch the recordings and I'll do the swap. Let me know if any of you has any last minute advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-31, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
Let me know if any of you has any last minute advice.
I did the HDD exchange yesterday using a WD5000AAKB, and contrary to some reports it is a bit more than a 10 minute job.

Getting the case off requires removal of the 3 torx security screws. The security tab between the brace and the HDD can be lifted off carefully with a thin screwdriver. Getting at the HDD requires removal of the top bracket from the frame, 2 regular torx screws, and removal of 6 regular torx screws on the right panel of the case. After disconnecting the power and cable from the HDD, the brace and HDD assembly can be slid to the right to access 2 of the mounting screws. There are 6 mounting screws in total. The drive was also glued to the side panel but can be pried off quite easily.

After reconnecting PVR it took about 15 minutes for it to be operational (remember to reconnect the cables to the HDD). The process started with a hex countdown from 300, preseumably the download and install of the OS, followed by at least two automatic boot sequences.

First impressions; the WD drive seems slightly quieter than the Maxtor QuickView that it replaces, and runs just as cool. No playback or recording issues when recording two HDD channels while playing back a third. I will test it with my external in a few months when there is more recorded content.
post #78 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-31, 10:02 PM

"just as cool"??

You could fry an egg on mine most of the time...I was hoping the WD drive would not put out as much heat.

Can anyone verify? Is it the drive or the unit that runs so hot?

post #79 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-31, 10:50 PM

Exclamation Interesting Details

Thanks for the follow up Bplayer. I am happy to have seen your post before getting started. It is always good to know what to expect....
post #80 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-02, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up Upgrade Done

I concur with Bplayer's report. I did it yesterday and it took about 20 minutes to do the upgrade with the WD5000AAKB. Not very long and not very expensive all things considered. At the risk of sounding sentimental, this was a good example of fruitful information sharing: I found out what parts would work well, what tools were needed, even where to find the tools and a detailed report on what to expect. We have not used our PVR very much since the upgrade but all tests done so far worked fine and everything seems to be in order. Thanks to all who contributed.
post #81 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-03, 11:34 PM

i did the hd upgrade my dad bought the hd it was a 500gb i don't remember if it was a seagate or a maxtor BUT it worked PERFECTLY for like 2 weeks and now it is 78% full (my dad is a bit record happy, he records stuff and nvr watches it) anyways the problem is i just went downstairs to watch sumthing but as soon as i turn it on like it plays an hd channel fine for about 4-5 seconds and then starts lagging and hd makes a sound like it is recording, if i tune to a regular defiinition channel this problem disappears, when i try to watch recorded hd stuff=same problem.... i turned it off for now will turn i on tmrw morning see if the problem still persists. Any ideas? maybe the videos are too fragmented and it has to recrd to too many parts of the hd at once? (thats just my guess) but even if that was the case ther is no way to defrag as far as i know...
post #82 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-04, 01:11 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Perform a cold reboot of the STB (unplug, wait a few seconds, replug).

See: Tips for SA STBs.

Turning the unit off doesn't help since off is really more like standby, although it can spin the HDD down.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #83 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-04, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbolter View Post
"just as cool"??

You could fry an egg on mine most of the time...I was hoping the WD drive would not put out as much heat.

Can anyone verify? Is it the drive or the unit that runs so hot?
The replacement disk got a good workout last night and the PVR case seemed to be about the same temperature compared with the original HDD, ie. just warm. The main heat does come from the HDD and not the other electronics in the case.

My external drive in a fanless aluminum case runs much hotter, all the time, either while at idle or during heavy use. What specific drive did you install, and how do the specs compare to the WD 500gb?
post #84 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-04, 08:35 PM

today it was working alot better, guess the problem fixed itself but it still lags occasionally during anyhting hd live or recorded or while recording anyhting like it lags for a split second every 15-20 seconds or so, so i will go with 57 advice and shut it off for a few hours and see if that fixes if not i might tell my dad to call up rogers to give us the 8300 as we have the 8000 dunno if the upgrade will cost $$ tho?? the 8000 is what rogers gave us when the cable guy came...

thnx
post #85 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-04, 10:00 PM

Arrow Reboot without unplugging

I was told that hitting the following keys at the same time did perform a reboot the same way unplugging the machine did:

Vol +
Vol -
Info

As far as I could tell from the display in front of the 8300HD, it looked like a cold reboot but I don't claim to be an expert in the matter...
post #86 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-05, 12:38 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you read the link I provided in post 82, you'll see that a cold reboot (unplugging) sometimes accomplishes more than a warm one (buttons). That's why we recommend a cold reboot.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #87 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 10:00 PM

I've been using the approx 20 hr limit as a feature to get us to watch and delete shows but I finally broke down and took took the plunge.

I got the WD5000AAKB from Canada Computers.

Knowing I was going to do this soon, I've been searching for the tamper proof T10 bit from several places and I concur with others in this thread about their reports. The first guy at Canadian Tire had no clue what I wanted and pointed me to the socket section. I eventually found the T15 & T20 tamper proof bits and showed it to him and asked where was the T10 version. Even after I had educated him on what a tamper proof bit, he wasn't willing to help me look. Brutal. I tried a second CT store and this guy knew what I wanted but said they didn't have it. I then told him the sku number of the set and sure enough they had it but I didn't want to pay that price (btw, the set was in with auto headlight parts display). Someone had said Snap-on but they wanted $11 for shipping the $8 bit. Another had said Home Depot but I couldn't find it there even with the knowledgeable tool guy who was willing to help. I got the bit at Sayal. They had a 7 piece set for $7 and a 33 piece tamper proof for $8 (I think regular price is $18). I went with the larger set.

The first tamper proof screw came off easily. The second one I had problems with and I ended up using a T15 on that. My T10 bit was now somewhat stripped. The third (middle) screw I couldn't get off with either bit. Since I had two of three screws off, I had some play in the metal and was able to work it enough to allow me to get the case off in spite of the screw that I couldn't loosen. Yes, there is minor damage but it's only noticeable when viewed from the back. I wonder though if I should've got the 7 piece set as perhaps the quality on the larger set wasn't there which caused me to strip the screws.

Replacing the drive from that point was less than 5 minutes. Bplayer's description shows what to expect although I didn't noticed the glue until after I had the old one out. The security tab was easily removed.

It took about 15 mins for the various reboots etc. One time I looked at it and the display had "HDDF" - my first thought was hard drive failure but as soon as I thought that, the display went blank and it carried on with its initialization.

Many thanks to those who blazed the trail.
post #88 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-07, 03:28 PM

Glad to see people posting their experiences. Not sure why the external hard drive thread is way more popular than this one.
With more and more positive comments we might convince more to come to the other side.

I still think it is a better value to buy a socket set when it goes half price at CTC. Every house should have one and it comes with tamper proof bits!
post #89 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-09-07, 10:41 PM

Has anyone tried a 500 internal with a 500 external for what is probably the largest possible recording space with current drives?
post #90 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-10-10, 09:46 PM

Arrow Update on Upgrade

My upgrade to the WD5000AAKB is still working fine and am very happy with it. The only thing that we have noticed is that the new hard drive is a bit more noisy than the original one. It is noticeable when Fast Forwarding/Rewinding and when there is recording taking place while watching a recorded show. Not a big deal but something we have noticed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in