SA8000/8300HD - Internal Hard Disk Upgrade Works (Cloning too) See Post 1. - Page 55 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #811 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 02:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Ontario (Rogers, Oppo 103, Sony S590, Denon 2809, Panasonic AE3000, Carada 2.35 120 in.)
I'm thinking I need to replace the HD in my 8300, but I'm not totally sure it is a HD problem.

When I press "list" it shows all my recordings. But when I select one of them, a screen comes up with PVR Playback Channel - press "list" etc. That indicates it cannot get at the recording. But how does it come up with the list of recordings? I thought that was on the HD also!

Also, I can set a recording, but when the time comes for the show, nothing happens. The recording disappears from the list of future recordings, but it does not appear on the list of recordings, and the red "record" indicator never comes on.

I never get any sort of error message.

For the past week or so I have been able to reboot to solve this for about 24 hours or so, and then it goes bad again. Today though I don't seem to be able to get around it.

So, should I spend about $100 for a new HD? Or is it likely something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 02:37 PM
Veteran

New hard drive
post #813 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 02:46 PM
Rookie

Hi,

Need to replace my internal 160HD in our 8300HD. I confess I have not read the entire 51 pages of this thread... so with that said, what are the compatible internal HDs available today? Is it still only the WD 500gb? Are there others? Is there a recent post detailing the options?

Thanks in advance.

post #814 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepoor View Post
Hi,

Need to replace my internal 160HD in our 8300HD. I confess I have not read the entire 51 pages of this thread... so with that said, what are the compatible internal HDs available today? Is it still only the WD 500gb? Are there others? Is there a recent post detailing the options?

Thanks in advance.
Read all of this thread? What about any of this thread? All you have to do is go back... ONE PAGE... and look from post 807 onward about the most recent discussion of what the options are...

MOD: Maybe its worth either updating Post 1 or adding a link to Post 807 as it has the most recent information...

It is worth noting if you can source the 500GB model, it will work. But finding it new has been hard... eBay is probably your friend on that one...
post #815 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 03:29 PM
Rookie

^ Thanks for that. I did see that particular post but quickly realized that the WD 320GB is pretty much gone the way of the doodoo bird too... very hard to find. Now on clearance and down to $89 if you can find one. Guess I will see if CC will transfer a unit to a more local store...

Last edited by mepoor; 2012-09-19 at 05:56 PM.
post #816 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 10:26 PM
Rookie

In using an old used WD 160gb HD do I first have to delete all the files on it, or reformat it?
post #817 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 11:32 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you're talking about using a HDD that was on a computer, then it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to reformat it first before putting it into the PVR, but it may not be necessary.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #818 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 09:00 PM
Eug
Veteran

Another one bites the dust.

It's starting to get to the point where replacing the drives in the 8300HD may not make huge sense. With these old units, the IDE drives are getting quite expensive to replace, at least on a $ to GB ratio, and often are hard to find.

Instead of spending $$$ on a new 320 GB drive, this time I just picked up a used 80 GB drive for $25. It won't hold much, but this is for my home office TV, so storage space is not as critical. I had an old 2002 160 GB drive, but drives from back then are often pretty loud. This 80 GB one is from 2008, so it's pretty quiet. 80 GB drive pulls from old computers are pretty common in computer hardware liquidators, but reports are that the reliability overall for these is not great, for obvious reasons. Still, at $25 I figured it's worth the chance. So far so good.

As for the 500 GB drive, I haven't been able to find one in the last 6 months or so locally. The biggest one I've seen available is the 320 GB. There are a few refurb 400 GB drives around, but the refurbs go for $200, which makes no sense since the new 320 GB drives are $90-100. However, even those 320 GB are getting very hard to source now. It seems the size with the most availability is 160 GB. New 80 GB drives are also available, but they cost within $5-10 of the 160 GB drives, so there's no reason to buy a new 80 GB drive. 80 GB isn't enough for a primary machine either. Even 160 GB is too low for a lot of people.
post #819 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Agreed. My old 8300HD is biting the dust. it records fine to the eSATA drive but the internal drive is having issues... all INFO is being stored in the on-board ram and not the hard drive and its rather loud. Was looking at yes can get an 320GB on clearance at Canada Computers right now but only a few left in stock. Amazon has a few of the the 500GB available online in new condition at a good price but importing it is a pain.

Have a bunch of old 80-500GB hard drives I recently pulled out of machines I was scrapping, so I'll start from the top and work my way down at some point.

Edit: I probably should call up Western Digital, since the 500GB was new and only installed back of June 2011... see Post 715

Anyways, looking at the second hand market, 8642 units can go in the 200-300 range if one waits it out... at that price its probably worth upgrading that route...
post #820 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 08:14 AM
Eug
Veteran

To be expected, but ouch:

With just two 1-hour HD recordings, I've used 19% of my 80 GB drive, and that's with the TV on for only a couple of minutes before I checked the usage. If had left thing on for say an hour, perhaps even a higher percentage would have been used, since the unit is always recording live TV, up to one hour.
post #821 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 11:37 AM
Rookie

In waiting for my two 320GB WDs to arrive I found an old 120GB WD Cavair (2003) laying around the house. Installed it to see if it would work and so far so good (2 days). A reduction by 25% in storage and a little noisier than the original 160GB WD, but it'll do for now. At least now I can live record the NFL and pause it, rewind, etc... PVR seems to be working fine too...

In testing the two original 160's with my desktop as ext drives, one would not even power up (no spinning no noise), and the other would attempt to spin but would rev up for a few seconds, then slow down, then rev up again, etc... Neither could be recognized by the desktop machine.. So I'm guessing they are just pooched? Is there anything available to revive these HDs before I scrap them?

Is there a Recycle program for HD's like for batteries?
post #822 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 11:40 PM
Rookie

Explorer 8300 Hard drive replacement issue

Hello,

New to the forum and great to see so many different topics available as i just recently retired from the Consumer Electronics field.

My question that requires more knowledge that I presently have is regarding a failed 160GB Western Digital HD in a Explorer 8300HD box that is owned by myself.
I replaced this drive with a Hitachi 500GB IDE drive and after some experimentation with the pin settings shown in the cable position on the hard drive diagram I first had the HDMI output blocked in the 16 head cable setting. In the second choice I was able to get the PVR to reload and boot back up and start recording. YAY!

The issue I have is the device will only record for less than 2 hours before the drive message on the PVR claims it is full??? I wonder if the drive is either not configured correctly or is not compatable with this PVR box.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

After reading more of the posts I have just realized that there may not have been an issue with the original HD after all. The recorded programs were starting to stutter on playback and freeze and pause. This started about two weeks ago, when it appears Rogers may have done a firmware update. I didn't know about rebooting the system and wonder if that would have resolved the issue with the PVR. The PVR device was working fine and recording without any issues in programming or recording just the playback started to become annoying with the stuttering and I thought the HD was starting to fail.

Should I place the old drive back in the PVR and try a few reboots to see if it resolves the issues?

Cheers,

David

Last edited by Flyin900; 2012-09-25 at 12:11 AM.
post #823 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 10:10 AM

Not sure if the Hitachi is on the list of compatible drives.

I ordered a WD3200AAJB this morning just to have a backup for my SA8300HD and a couple of older computers. While looking for drives I noticed the Direct Dial have stock (8 pcs) of the WD2500AVJB Audio/Video drives. I've put a 500 and a couple of 320s in PVRs and they work very well. Since the backup I ordered is also for a computer, I ordered the standard desktop drive.
post #824 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 08:56 PM
Rookie

After reading some previous posts in this thread I don't see a compatable drive list. I did reconfigure the jumper pin setting to the 16 head cable setting on the Hitachi drive and rebooted the PVR. Has anyone used an Hitachi Deskstar 500GB IDE drive with any success?

This time the drive booted and allowed the HDMI signal out to the panel and all seemed to work as normal. I tried a manual recording and recorded about 45 min of a program and recording process seemed normal. That was until I checked the amount of space used on the drive and found the same issue as before, where it appears I had originally jumpered the Hitachi drive to 32GB from 500 GB on a suggested cable setting. The issue is still that 35% of the drive was used with only 45 min. of recording??? Any thoughts or suggestions on why this is happening and any solutions.

I did reinstall the original Western Digital 160GB drive and rebooted the PVR and it appears to be recording and playing back. No opportunity to try a longer recording and playback time until tonight to confirm it is still good. Then there is the possibly a firmware issue from a Rogers update earlier in September 2012 has been the cause of the original glitching and stuttering on playback of recorded material all along.

Update: This drive is experiencing the HDD cycling continously as noted in other posts and there is still some glitching infrequently on a recorded program I checked tonight.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by Flyin900; 2012-09-26 at 12:36 AM.
post #825 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2012-09-27, 09:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesE View Post
Splash31, I believe it's normal to see error messages when installing a fresh drive that hasn't been cloned. As I recall, you will get an error message when first powering up followed by the hex countdown. The countdown may pause a few times before reaching 0000. The machine will then reboot itself and display an error something like HDDF followed by some additional activity. After a few minutes, you should get the time display. The entire process may take as long as 15 minutes to complete.
Just replaced the original 160GB with a WD3200AAJB. Plugged in the power cord after installing the new drivwe, got the typical error codes and then the hex count down, then the HDDF code (harddrive failure), then the display when blank for about 6-8 minutes, then the clock came up... and presto! Everything back to normal. Thanks for the helpful guidance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in