SA8000/8300HD - Internal Hard Disk Upgrade Works (Cloning too) See Post 1. - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-24, 10:14 AM

I just checked 500GB PATA WD drives. They range from 7.5w to 8.8w dissipation. Only the WD5000AVJB listed current draws with 0.46A draw on 12V and 0.65A on 5V. It should be no trouble for the power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-25, 01:12 PM

Exclamation Upgrading Sounds Good

Jake, I appreciate the advice. I think the updrade sounds great. If I understand your comment (and research) correctly, any 500GB PATA drive will do the trick? All I have to do is get the TORX bits from Canadian Tire (or Princess Auto), do the swap and power up again? Sounds almost too easy...

BTW, you did not comment on the HDMI vs Component connection to help with the hiccups I am experiencing with my 8300HD. Is it because you are not having that problem or because you think the connection has nothing to do with it?
post #63 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-25, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Sylvain, I would stick with the WD brand and I don't think the HDMI hiccups have anything to do with the drive (internal or external). You just learn to live with them until they fix the firmware. I also think the HDMI interface was created by the "Babel Tower" descendants.

SA9865HD; Panasonic TH-50PZ850; Denon AVR-X4000; Tannoy: Arden, S8C, S8LR; SVS 16-46PC+; Oppo 971; Harmony 659/680

post #64 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-25, 01:48 PM

Go ahead Sylvain, you wont be disappointed. And yes it is that easy. No computer knowledge required. Mine has been working since I posted the instructions in this thread. So that is 1 year and 3 months of never having to worry about HD space!

I have a Motomaster 156 piece tool kit and different size torx bits came with it. I think it's a better value than purchasing it separately.

Looks like this.

post #65 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-25, 03:46 PM

Wink Thanks for the quick feedback

Phatboyc, jlet, thanks for the follow-up. I am going to try to get the tool today and will check out if I can find a WD hard disk in the area. I am sure I can find WD hard disks but often prefer to stick with Future Shop and Best Buy for their convenient 30-day warranty. However, their selection is not all that great. BTW, are there any concerns with size? Should I stick with 500GB?

As far as hiccups are concerned, I was trying to confirm that the hiccups are tied to the HDMI connection and that if I were to switch to component, that the hiccups would go away. It is not dramatic but annoying especially when trying to start playing a recording, it is frustrating. (tech support also told me that they may fix this in an eventual firmware upgrade)
post #66 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-25, 04:46 PM

I use component so I can't comment on the HDMI stuttering. The WD drives are pretty common at the stores you mentioned. I would stick with 500GB WD. Remember you have 160GB right now so 500GB will be a big leap ahead. More than triple the space. Rather than FS or BB check out the prices at smaller computer stores around town. They have very competitive prices usually. As you wisely pointed out check out their return policy incase you develop cold feet or you get a dud.

One last thing. Note the hole in the centre of the security torx bit. That is what you need not the standard torx bit which is not hollow.
post #67 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-26, 09:08 AM

I was able to purchase a high quality single tamper-proof #10 torx bit from Snap-on (Part# SDMTR10) for around $6.00. The CTC kit I looked at was around $40 and since I only need the #10, I passed on it.
post #68 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-26, 03:12 PM

Arrow Torx & HD Size

Thanks LeadFoot & Jake. Some have said that Princess Auto has the Torx for about the same price as the SnapOn you mentioned. The problem for me is that Princess Auto is about a ½ hour drive one way. I am not sure that I will save much in the end as compared to the close by Canadian Tire...

I intend to stick with 500GB Jake, you're right, it is already a big step. I'll check the local shops but, in addition to inflexible return policies, their hours are often not that great either.
post #69 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-26, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
... Only the WD5000AVJB listed current draws with 0.46A draw on 12V and 0.65A on 5V. It should be no trouble for the power supply.
I believe the AVJB is not longer being produced, and it cannot be ordered from the WD site. The current draw specs on the WD5000AAKB are the same, and it is available from Canada Computers. It is almost identical but has a larger buffer.

Active Electronics has a 30 bit package which include the torx #10 bit. It was on sale a week ago, but it requires a handle.

Last edited by Jake; 2007-08-27 at 02:46 PM. Reason: pricing information removed
post #70 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-26, 06:24 PM

Exclamation So Far No Luck

Thanks for the info Bplayer. My week-end was not too fruitful. I was not able to find any secure Torx #10 at Canadian Tire (in a kit or by itself) and did not find any 500GB WD drive at FS nor BB. I saw the WD MyBook external drive at BB, I wonder if it is a PATA drive in the box (which I could take out).

Would other brands work too? I saw Maxtor all over the place...
post #71 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-26, 10:42 PM

I upgraded the internal drive on a few days ago with the 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKB. I didn't have a security torx T10, but I own my 8300HD. The security pin inside the three bolts are very thin and I simply broke them off with a small screwdriver, effectively converting the bolts to use the standard T10 torx.

As for the drive, quiet, everything works great. Drives spins down when power is off.

I debated so long about internal vs. external, plus there wasn't a 100% confirmation on the net that a 500GB internal would work until this thread became active again (thanks!). Internal was the way to go for me. It's like it was before, just triple the space.

Took less than 10 minutes, formatted right away and was ready to use.
post #72 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-27, 11:03 AM

Western Digital seems to be the preferred drive, followed my Maxtor. One user reported a lot of noise and start-up lag with his Seagate. This seems to corroborate the general Seagate experience for external SATA drives.

I just checked and PATA drives are hard to find as mentioned for a reasonable price in Gatineau. You might luck out and snag a external drive with a decent PATA drive inside.

Last edited by Jake; 2007-08-27 at 02:46 PM. Reason: pricing information
post #73 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-27, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
... and did not find any 500GB WD drive at FS nor BB. I saw the WD MyBook external drive at BB, I wonder if it is a PATA drive in the box (which I could take out).
The WD5000AAKB can be ordered from CanadaComputers. They suggest that delivery is 1-2 working days.

Last edited by Jake; 2007-08-27 at 02:45 PM. Reason: pricing information
post #74 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-27, 02:50 PM

Just a reminder (and I am just as guilty as the rest of you) that pricing information is only allowed in the DH Shopping forum. Therefore I have removed some of the recent price quotes. If you wish to start a thread there and link from here that is fine.
post #75 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2007-08-28, 10:04 PM

Arrow Thanks for the Advice

Thanks ormefocus, Jake and Bplayer. I believe I have found a WD5000AAKB in a local shop (through e-mail at this point in time).

I own my 8300HD as well but would prefer not breaking up the little pins. I'll have to drive up to Princess Auto I guess...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in