SA8000/8300HD - Internal Hard Disk Upgrade Works (Cloning too) See Post 1. - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-07-21, 06:18 PM

Ruby, the answer is yes the hard drive was installed prior to putting it into the 8300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 02:06 AM

Successful Upgrade

I just finished replacing my HD in my SA8300 (non HD) with the recommended WD 500gb AAKB drive. Thanks to the very detailed posts in this forum, I had no problems, and should have no problems with running out of space until at least christmas time.

As suggested in one of the posts, I did a sector by sector copy of the old 80gb disk to the new one using Norton Ghost and a small program I wrote, and lost none of my recordings, or even future programmed recordings. Rebooting after the replacement took about 10 minutes or so.

Once again, thanks to all the people on this forum that made this an easy and effective upgrade.
post #213 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by computertechie View Post
As suggested in one of the posts, I did a sector by sector copy of the old 80gb disk to the new one using Norton Ghost and a small program I wrote, and lost none of my recordings, or even future programmed recordings. Rebooting after the replacement took about 10 minutes or so.
Glad to hear that it went well!

You mention "a small program I wrote". Can you say more about this? I am considering making this change as well, and was not aware that anything more than Ghost was required.

post #214 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 10:21 PM

HD8300 HDD swap

I just purchased a HD8300 box.

I saw the step-by-step HD8300 HDD swap process posted by Ghost"" with great interest. I'm definitely planning to swap my HDD but I'm wondering if I can put a bigger than WD500AAKB 500GB drive in. Has anyone successfully installed a larger HDD? If so, what size and what make/model?

I also wonder why "Ghost" came up with a WD HDD, why not a Maxtor as the OEM HDD in the HD8300?
post #215 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-17, 10:13 AM

WD has been reported as the most successful HD used for the internal upgrade or for an external drive. Unfortunately WD drives larger than 500GB are had to find locally, and in general 750GB EIDE drives are almost double the price of a 500GB drive.

There was one report of someone who tried a Seagate 750GB but the performace was sub standard (pixelation). If you can get a WD 750GB it is quite possible that it would be flawless. Just remember, the bigger the drive the more you stand to loose if/when it eventually dies as a DVR is not a good archival media.
post #216 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-18, 09:11 AM

Thumbs up Upgrade woks great!!

Fist of all: Thanks everyone to share your informations, opinions, tips, ..... It helps me a lot.
Yesterday (Sunday 17 August 2008) I decided to change my original SA 8300HD WD 160Go by the WD5000AAKB bought in February 2008 (because it is difficult to find it now, only SATA are easy to find).
So I followed every detailed steps to "undress" my SA 8300HD. No problem here, just want to take my time to NOT break something.
I wanted to make a clone (not lose schedule and previously recorded programs).
Tried Ghost v11, Drive Image 2002, and some other but did not success, because this tools do not want to clone "An empty disk" (HD been encrypted, it is seen as "Empty" or other "Unaccessible drive"....)
Reading all the post, I remember PDub replies
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=137

"I used [email protected] Disk Image version 3.1.5 to create a clone"

For me it was the same software, but version 3.1.6
Having only one laptop, I did the clone with both drive (WD160 Go and 500Go) with USB2 enclosure.
Wait 4 hours and plug back everything in SA 8300HD.

First run, some information appear on the screen:
- er60, er63
- Countdown from r3xx to r000 (in hexa)
- Process
- Boot

Wait 10 minutes, and "VOILA", clock appear on the little screen, and funny things, records begin (Olympics Games).
Power up TV, make some tests and verifications => NO PROBS!
All my schedules and records are here and play well
Diagnostics said 463GB available to use for records.

Conclusion:
- Thanks a lot for this forum
- Go ahead people and be happy with MORE space to record HD program

Notes:
I have set acoustic settings to 128 before cloning with freeware tools mentioned on this forum (http://www.hddscan.com)
Happy to hear (or not hear) that it works great!
As mentioned by some, I feel (to be verified by more tests) that SA 8300HD answer more quickly to command, and fast forward appear faster too.
Not big point, but very appreciable
post #217 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 12:22 PM

can someone explain this "acoustic settings to 128" stuff... what does this all mean? I can't seem to find the original post?
post #218 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Enter "acoustic" in the "Search this Thread" feature (above).

SA9865HD; Panasonic TH-50PZ850; Denon AVR-X4000; Tannoy: Arden, S8C, S8LR; SVS 16-46PC+; Oppo 971; Harmony 659/680
post #219 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-22, 07:25 PM

Acoustic settings

@buzzinhornets

If you search about acoustic software and settings, you will find that WD has some options to put hard disk in "quiet" mode.
Quiet mode is enable when you write (by using some software) a value "128" in the beginning. If there is no value, HD will works in its default mode (For example, my Hitachi laptop HD was by default in "256" = No acoustic. I enter the value "128" (in place of 256) and now my Hitachi Laptop HD is very quiet.)

So, when you set the "128" value by using an acoustic software, your drive know it has to run in "quiet" mode.

Only acoustic compatible HD could be set.

Hope it helps.
post #220 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-24, 08:40 AM

Buzz,

Start by reading post #96, you will have a link to the Hitachi utility. Keep reading the other posts after that one and you will find other posts that clearify the subject.

You never did answer if you were successful in cloning your disk...... with your usb setup.

Also, reading myself backwards, I mislead you and IT'S IMPORTANT for others to know, I cloned with Active Disk Image not with Acronis but forgot to mention it, I did try with Acronis but it saw the drive as unallocated and cannot clone such a drive.

Would be nice of you to give us feedback.

Last edited by ruby1308; 2008-08-24 at 08:55 AM.
post #221 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-25, 05:46 PM

i'm actually going to try tonite to clone the drive using the USB-to-IDE adapters I bought. Hmm, I had planned on using Acronis, but u say it won't work?

Also, if i don't set the drive to 128 quiet mode, is it really that loud and irritating? (i have the WD 5000A??? 500gb drive that everyone else has).
post #222 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-26, 09:13 AM

Let's put it this way, I already said in another post (read previous posts) that watching a recording with the sound high enough, I could hear the hard disk clicking. Others has said the same thing. You can live with it but it's much better to crank it down with the utility since it doesn't any negative impact on quality.

In regards to cloning with Acronis, since I had both software, I did not try very hard, maybe if somebody tried hard enough they could succeed but technically I don't think it's possible. Maybe you're better off waiting for all the proper tools (try their website link) before you take the plunge or forget the old recordings. The change in acoustics can be made (see previous post) afterwards with the disk still in the pvr.

Edit: ACRONIS True Image has been reported as not working properly.

Last edited by Jake; 2008-11-14 at 11:46 AM. Reason: see edit
post #223 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-26, 09:57 AM

"The change in acoustics can be made (see previous post) afterwards with the disk still in the pvr. "

i can't find this in the forums?

~~~~~~~~~~Scratch that. I thought you meant that you could enter the diagnostics screen on the 8300 and change it with a few remote clicks.

Last edited by buzzinhornets; 2008-08-26 at 10:22 AM.
post #224 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-26, 03:36 PM

Buzz,

my post #193

and

also #196
post #225 of 1014 (permalink) Old 2008-08-26, 09:28 PM

SUCCESS!!!

(thanks to all you contributed to this thread).

here's my story:
- bought the WD5000AAKB from canada computers for < $100
- bought 2 "ide sata to usb adapter" off ebay from hong kong for like $20
- pulled the drive outta the 8300hd as per ghost's intructions (sticker came off no prob, despite the fact that i own it)
- attached the new drive and existing drive via usb to my pc with the adapters above
- drives recognized by xp
- tried acronis disk image, but some kinda weird bootup issue with my CD or PC
- downloaded acive disk image 21 day fully functional trial from webpage
- ran under windows environment (not boot cd needed cause of the usb adapters) chose clone, software assumed sector by sector, took about 6 hours to clone
- stuck the new drive in pvr, but perhaps a bit loud, so took it out again to enable acoustic management.
- hitachi tool didn't work cause connected via usb
- found HDDSCAN (a windows based tool for HDD settings via wikipedia) http://hddguru.com/content/en/softwa...01.22-HDDScan/
- changed acoustic to 128
- put it back in the pvr
- internal drive work, external (the other western digital 500gb SATA drive) works, all old recordings still work!
nice! 1 terabyte of PVR space!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in