New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 10:04 AM

@MowerX: Those are great comments and consistent with my experience as well. I also hate the "OK" pop up box that appears after scheduling a recording. It's redundant, unnecessary and adds one more key press to complete the task.

I'm going to forward your comments to Rogers beta test email in the hopes that some of your concerns/suggestions can be addressed in future updates to the IPG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 10:24 AM

just trying to decipher everything and figure out what I have and what I have to do...

I have SA8300 HD PVR downstairs and the Cisco HD box (no PVR) upstairs

do I have to get the new Cisco PVR to get the new IPG?

Can I just take my old box to Rogers and trade it in?

Will my Cisco HD non pvr get this new guide (i'd like the same guide on both)?

does the $49.99 fee simply all me to use the PVR to broadcast to other HD boxes in the house?

Will the Cisco HD non PVR all me to access the shows on my PVR?

I think that is all.
post #63 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 10:29 AM

@Jeffc:

With your current setup, only your Cisco HD box will get the new IPG.

You will need to exchange your SA8300HD for the Cisco 8642HD if you want the PVR to have the new IPG as well. If you are renting the PVR, Rogers will have no problem swapping for the new PVR. Just go to any Rogers Store that has provides cable services.

The $49.99 installation fee is only required if you want the Whole Home PVR function, which is the ability to watch the recorded shows on the Cisco HD box (non-PVR).

post #64 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 10:46 AM

thanks...btw, I called Rogers this AM and the person on the other end was pretty much useless in providing any info....
post #65 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 11:20 AM

Thumbs down

WOW. At least I know you all are experiencing THE SAME problems I am.

First and foremost IT IS SLOW SLOW. Half the time I hit the button 2,3, 4 times only to have the PVR perform all my button presses in a row after a 4-5 more seconds.

I find that it reboots quite often. Usually associated when it is recording 2 channels and I try to record a new series or I try to change the channel, it reboots half the time when it is about to confirm the new recording.

I miss being able to have the PVR turn on by pressing any key on the remote. I had to redo my whole remote setup.

I have my PVR connected to an HDTV through HDMI and an SD TV through the coax. It used to just send the SD regular format through the coax no matter what setting you had on the HDMI, now I have to switch between the different setting when I watch my SD tv or it is all squished looking.

Skip ahead 15 minutes by page up button - gone!
While watching a recording. If I press a number key by accident, pressing exit DOES NOT cancel it. It goes to the channel.

Waste of space in guide.

Most of the time at the end of watching a recording, it does not give you the menu to delete it, it goes back to the list and not even in the same place you were in, it goes back to the current day. Major pain to scroll back to the recording you were just watching, select it, delete it and then it goes back to current day AGAIN, so if you want to watch the next show, you have to scroll again and again and again. SOO MUCH slow scrolling in this new guide.

That OK confirmation when you delete something is such a waste. Especially as it takes time to come up.

Anyway, I agree with all the complaints above, so I won't re-iterate all of them.

IT IS SOOOO SLOW!

1 9865PVR, 1 4642HD, Epson 8700UB, 86" screen, Denon 3802 Receiver 7.1 Energy + dual firing rears. Harmony 880
post #66 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 11:37 AM

Can anyone with the guide checkout http://www.espial.com/ . . . the guide shown looks similar to the pictures I have seen of the new rogers guide. I wonder if its their tech?
post #67 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharr View Post
I had just found out last weekend that Fibe was now available in my neighbourhood...
In Ajax? Are you sure that's FibeTV and not just Fibe internet? I thought FibeTV was still just in TO. I've been dying for it to come to Aurora, but from what I can see that's not gonna be anytime soon.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #68 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I thought FibeTV was still just in TO. I've been dying for it to come to Aurora, but from what I can see that's not gonna be anytime soon.
Yes, it's FibeTV, in Ajax. Their site was showing me "in the next six months" until last weekend when it suddenly showed "available now". For collaboration, there is this recent tweet from Bell:

https://twitter.com/#!/Bell_FibeTV/s...32310008184832

I haven't called yet Bell but based on the above it seems solid.

Back to Rogers...
post #69 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 01:37 PM

Got the update - what a hack job - not unexpectedly from Rogers: a big disappointment. Can't believe Rogers keeps on dropping the ball like this... I have been holding out on FibeTv - but think I will make the switch now.
post #70 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Question No Update!!

Still no update(Ottawa)

To be honest not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing?

On one hand I'm dieing to see the new IPG and it features.

On the other hande!!

I'm not sure if I really want the update considering from al the posts I've read?
post #71 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 03:48 PM

I Know How You Feel

I know exactly how you feel!
post #72 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 05:21 PM

Rogers just sent me an email - a SURVEY on how I like the new IPG.

I provided my detailed feedback to them and offered my services to work with them to test and to suggest what to fix.

I am happy they sent me the survey - I am glad I had the opportunity to voice my concerns. I hope they act upon it and other candid feedback they receive.

Actually today I had to reboot the machine - it was freezing on "recorded programs".
In fact, it was not showing all of them and would freeze when you tried to access the ones that "were" visible.
This thing is BAD news !

One thing I did not say in my survey - I want them to give me back the old IPG until they FIX this one.
The IPG in its current state is UN-usable !!!
It actually reminds me of the way ON-Demand controls worked - in that there was a big delay in "everything" you did to interact with it - although now the whole thing is 10 times slower, laggy, and freezes up. Unacceptable.
Is this guide ON our PVRs, or are we accessing it on some server (somewhere) - and the back-and-forth communications is where the lag is ?
(and to think, I was actually looking "forward" to the new guide !)
post #73 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 07:01 PM

Yeah, I just got that survey as well. Sent to the randomly named email account originally set up in the Shaw days that continues to be my so-called primary account, and not to the account registered on My Rogers. Ah well.

Old system to delete recording: find recording, press down to select delete, hit A, done. Cursor is now on the next show, which might also be the next one you want to delete.

New system to delete recording: find recording, press down to select delete, hit left, hit OK, hit OK. Cursor is now all the way back at the top of the menu - when you have dozens of recordings, good luck remembering exacty where you were.

I keep hitting "NO" by accident when it asks if I want to delete the recording (notice, no annoying "the recording was not deleted" message there), which of course puts me right back at the top of the list again and I have to go hunting for the program to correct my mistake.

It's obvious that no one during the development of this software has consulted an interface expert and asked the question "how can I make my PVR faster and more intuitive to use." Instead, they asked, "How can I make my PVR look really pretty so it seems equal to the competition?"

I suspect that the new design could be considered highly inassessable - and by that I mean people with poor vision that could use the old system fine, are going to have a great deal of difficulty with the small fonts and icons used in this system. Except, of course, for channel number entry!

Another minor visual bug. Someone's applied a "fade out" effect to the far right side of the Guide, on top of the text. I find that annoying for some reason. Probably isn't helping performance either.
post #74 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 07:55 PM

Just curious. For those of you who received the update, did you guys receive letters in the mail informing you of this upcoming update? The only mail I've received so far from Rogers is regarding the price increases. Does this mean I can possibly be spared from these "enhancements" for the time being?
post #75 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 08:04 PM

I just received the letter today but haven't received the update.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in