Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Markham, Ontario
* The new features are nice, but LONG OVERDUE, so I'm going to concentrate on issues.
* It's Slow with a capital S. When I highlight a recorded program, it takes 3 seconds for any information on that recording to display. The guide's display speed makes the HD4200 look speedy in comparison. Channel surfing feels like I'm controlling a server in Australia.
* 5 lines and 1.5 hours in the program guide? that's NO BETTER THAN BEFORE! There is zero reason why they couldn't have fit 2 or even 2.5 hours in the same horizontal space with the font size they're using. And what's the point of having the top 1/3rd of a program showing versus a usable PIP? Why didn't they fill the screen with the guide, give us 9 or 10 lines of guide, and then put a full PIP window in the bottom left or right corner next to the program description information?
* Fast forward/rewind/pause is surprisingly responsive. However when I hit the FF button three times quickly to get to the third speed as I've always done... it only goes to the second speed. Indeed, the whole IR processing seems slower - I simply can't get 3 channel numbers entered in a row at my normal speed, it always misses one digit.
* NO OSD WHEN CHANNEL SURFING! How lame is that? So not only is channel surfing now painfully slow, but you have to specifically hit INFO to see what's showing. Great. And what's with the freaking super-gigantic channel numbers? Everything else is tiny!
* At the opposite end of the spectum, the progress bar stays on the screen way too long after hitting play.
* The channel 950 shortcut to access the PVR section is gone?
* Radio channels are just black. No OSD, no background, no nothing. Not exactly intuitive.
* Finally, grouping by show. But if there's more than one recording of a show, it doesn't display the last episode date - just the count of how many episodes there are.
* Seems to be some font issues. The description for the episode of Shark Tank on the 20th says "In the Season 3 prem#re", where the # is a box for a missing character. And I don't know if it'll improve on new recordings, but all previous recording descriptions are limited to one truncated line of text.
* While playing back a recording, hit stop. About 3 second later the record list comes up AND the unit changes back to live TV. Why does it do that? It just makes things slower. Speaking of slower, now delete a file. YES/NO prompt is fine - although this is totally different from the old A/B/C system - but once you've selected YES, do I *really* need another box that says "The file has been deleted" that requires me to hit OK to continue? What if it's not OK?
* This has always bugged me. When I have a recording selected... why can't I hit the PLAY button and - you know - play the recording. Instead I have to select the recording AND select play from another menu. Slow. Pointless.
* Remember when Rogers advertised the segmented progress bar (you know, the little tick marks) as a new feature? Well, that's gone again.
* The LIST menu doesn't remember where you were as soon as you stop playing. So if you play a recording, watch some TV, and go back to watch another show, it starts off all the way back at the top of the list again.
I'm sure there's going to be more problems, but it's only the first day! :-)