Whole Home PVR (WHPVR) in Ontario Discussions (NextBox 2.0/3.0) - Page 67 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #991 of 997 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkitty View Post
...they are no longer pushing out that software anymore...
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Frankly, I never had any serious issues with WHPVR, but it definitely has some flaws...well, what doesn't with Rogers, lol? Other than one of my two PVRs doing a factory reset on its own, as I mentioned in my previous messages here, but it is very unlikely to be tied to WHPVR...at least I don't think it is.

A complete lack of support for WHPVR is obviously one way of Rogers telling us to switch to Ignite TV. I know I am not ready for that yet. Still way too expensive, even though they seem to be mellowing out a little, so some folks are getting affordable pricing. Still, a lot of people are not very happy with it, at least from what I'm reading on the web. Also, I own one of my PVRs, so after renting it for 3 years, and finally owning it, I guess I'm supposed to forget about it now. Yes, I could probably sell it, but how many people would be interested to buy it, and at what price. Rogers just gave up on the WHPVR system too soon, in order to push for their new Ignite TV system, which will probably turn out to be as glitchy as WHPVR down the road. Then they will most likely go for something else and stop supporting it the same way they are doing it now with WHPVR. Oh well...sigh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 997 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 05:40 PM
Veteran

The bottom line for me is that I don't trust Rogers to provide good technology any more. They must prove that Ignite TV is better and I don't see that happening. Will I pay $150 for installation only to find out the Ignite TV has the same bad guide data and reliability issues that their Digital TV has? I don't think so. If they pay me $150 to switch and provide free Ignite TV boxes as compensation for the time, money and aggravation caused by their defective NextBox WHPVR junk then I might consider it.
whitbyterry and DonR like this.
post #993 of 997 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 09:43 PM
Rookie

I, too, lost faith in Rogers ability to support the Nextbox/WHPVR platform, and so moved to Fibe. I have been quite pleased so far (2 months). It’s a shame, really. I don’t understand Rogers managerial decisions to not support the existing technology while failing to provide incentives for long-term customers to move to the new Ignite platform. No way to run a railroad as the old folks used to say.
whitbyterry and DonR like this.

post #994 of 997 (permalink) Old 2019-07-05, 08:30 AM
Veteran

I think 1/2 of the issue with the old platform.. is getting people who are ABLE to support it.
Most of the hardware (outside of the 4k box?), the manufacturer (Cisco) is no longer making/supporting.. so its an old platform with bare min support from their end (probably only MAJOR firmware fixes).
With that being that way.. your amount of people who are going to be programmers, etc that work on that platform... are going to be small to begin with, and dwindling with it not being supported anymore.

Really in the end.. I dont think they had much choice at all, to move away from it.

That being said.. there are things with the Ignite could have been a dealt with a lot better... eating the install cost, etc. If it was free.. you would probably have 2-3 times the people have switched already.

(As for the reliability of Ignite.. its hard to compare it just off the reviews. Outside of the recorded playback issues, which were global a while back, and seem to have been 95% resolved.. with a PROPER setup, good signal, good wifi, etc.. a user should have NON of the issues that some are reporting. Almost all of them I guarantee are from bad setup. Mine is rock solid.)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #995 of 997 (permalink) Old 2019-07-05, 11:30 AM
Veteran

Location seems to play a big role. People in the GTA seem to get better reliability with Digital TV. I suspect that a lot of it is due to poor network or server reliability outside of the GTA. Services such as VOD and program search on the NextBox are unusable much of the time here. It's been that way since Rogers rolled out internet and digital TV.

Rogers services here took a big hit when Rogers moved their headquarters to the GTA and closed down the local office. When there was a local office, someone there would check and verify the issue immediately. Now we get someone in the GTA who says that everything is OK there and blames it on my equipment. At best, we must wait for a truck to roll from 80km away. Switching to Ignite TV is not going to fix that.
post #996 of 997 (permalink) Old 2019-07-09, 08:34 AM

Just to follow-up, the Rogers tech came out yesterday - took him 4 minutes to install a MOCA filter on the line and everything worked again. He explained that new technicians have not (and will not) be trained on WHPVR and do not understand the requirement for the filters. Issue resolved but points to lack of desire to support existing installations.
post #997 of 997 (permalink) Old 2019-07-09, 10:29 AM

Eventually everyone will be forced over to IGNITE TV so Rogers will have to do something eventually. I just had it installed last month here in Newfoundland. I managed to get the install for $50. My bill doubled first month tho, I swear it’s like being a brand new customer. I love it though and I managed. I couldn’t justify 500 MB anymore with Bell Aliant - speed kept going up along with the price when it’s just me, I have no big family or anything, just me in my small apartment and if I downgraded my Internet speed I was told I’d lose my PVR which I rely on heavily. I just wanted to save money.That’s why I left Bell Aliant in February. No incentive to stay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in