AnyPlace Discussions Please read post 1. - Page 52 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #766 of 824 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 11:04 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Out of curiosity, I downloaded Chrome so I could try out Anyplace. Here are my comments regarding the guide portion of the new computer/browser website. These comments do not apply to the Tablet or Phone apps.

1. Running a Mac Mini, OS10.10.5, Chrome 62.0.3202.94, Latest App Version 11.0.25
2. No problems at all signing into Anyplace.
3. I asked it to remember me and it does, if I leave and come back, provided I do so within a certain time period (same day?).
4. Streaming of channels from the guide works fine for me (mostly) - no issues at all on several channels that I tried (some people have reported issues with streaming - I have since tested more channels that I don't watch and found some issues as well with certain ones.)
5. My Guide only shows the channels that I subscribe to, and not even all of those. It doesn't show "All Channels", or "Favourites", even though those appear to be dropdown options.
6. In the guide I don't like that you are not taken back to where (when) you were after clicking on a programme for more information. It takes you to today. At least it remembers the channel you were on. It should also remember the time you were at.
7. Lots of future programming shows as "Information not available". Even after waiting for the screen to refresh I found a lot of the programming on TSN, TMN, HBO for example to be not available - it seems to depend on the channel and how many days "out" you are.
8. The information on this guide is different from my iPad app. For example, on the iPad App it properly shows the upcoming Formula E races on Saturday/Sunday morning on FoxSR (409). On the browser it shows "Auto Racing" and obviously didn't find the Formula E events when searching.
9. There is no "go to channel" option - you have to use the scroll bar to scroll or click, which is relatively fast, but is not as "accurate"
10. The times at the top do not show the AM/PM unless you make your browser window quite wide. There is enough space between the lines that it should show AM/PM in almost any window.
11. Sometimes if you use the "Go to date" function, it doesn't show anything until you click on the right or left time arrow to "wake it up".
12. The time arrows only move the information a half hour. It therefore requires a lot of clicking to move a few hours. It should perhaps move by a "page width" or that option should be available with a different icon?

The above comments come from only about 60 minutes of experimenting. I will likely have more feedback as I use it more, but I doubt that I'll be using it much until I can use "Manage PVR" functionality. I see no reason to stream for my lifestyle (I PVR all my programming and watch it in my Home Theatre) but I can understand others who may enjoy the streaming option.

The following points are regarding streaming, not the guide:

A. There are still no Stringray music videos to stream. This went away a while back, but I was hoping for it to return. I can use the Stingray website to stream for music, or on-demand on my PVR for Music Videos, but no videos on Anyplace.
B. Other streaming of a selected programme like a movie off TMN worked fine.
C. Under Settings - Active Box - there is only one PVR shown, you cannot see another and you cannot "manage PVR". It has said "coming soon" for almost 2 months.
D. Same goes for Browsers - Anyplace is still only available on Chrome.

I found the following bookmark for Anyplace FAQs. It has been moved several times recently and there was no redirect. It can be found under "Settings-Help" (the "gear" at the top right of the screen)

https://www.rogers.com/customer/supp...ce-tv-overview

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Last edited by 57; 2018-01-25 at 11:22 AM. Reason: App Version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #767 of 824 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 02:38 AM

Is this new app compatible with Android Oreo? App is repeatedly crashing.

Rogers - Cisco 9865 (NB 3.0)~ Panasonic DMR-Eh50 (TVGOS) ~ Sharp LC40LE830U AQUOS
post #768 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-01-23, 04:02 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
On my iPad, I recently upgraded to iOS11 after checking various forums. I am using the Rogers Home Edition App to manage my PVR. I downloaded and tested the Anyplace TV app for streaming. So you need both if you wish to do both.

Using Crome on my computer (Anyplace Web) also works for streaming, but as mentioned before, no Manage PVR outside of apps for Tablet or Phone. As mentioned in post 766, some channels sometimes have issues. If you have issues, report it using Share a Concern:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/cont...hare-a-concern

post #769 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-01-23, 06:08 PM

The best I could get out of a Rogers rep was that they have no projected timeline for the "Coming Soon" Manage PVR feature on the web, so far only accessible with Chrome and a couple other obscure (to me) browsers.

The last couple of days I could not even sign in to RAPTV with Chrome and not with IE 11 on Windows 7. But I then found I could do it again with Chrome Incognito.
post #770 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-01-25, 06:39 PM

It seems that, yet again, Rogers cannot provide us with a consistent MMI (man-machine-interface). Here are some comments, but you may wish to check out post 766 first.

Although the Anyplace Web (Chrome) guide goes out for a week, the information available is a bit weird. If for example you scroll quickly to channel 495, or 501-513 "today". You'll see that there is programming information. If, however, you then click a different date like tomorrow or later in the week on these channels, then the channel information shows "info not available" even if you wait a long time. However, if you then scroll up to channel 2 and slowly scroll down to channels 495 or 501, and let the guide "populate" with each scroll (click down), then when you get down to those channels, the information will be available now, despite not being available earlier. So, rather than populate the information as requested, it seems to start at the "top left" and then populate to the "bottom right" of the entire grid and there may even be a timeout because it doesn't seem to populate if you go to "the far side" of the grid quickly...

I just checked the Anyplace App on my iPad and the guide works properly.

1. The time arrow moves one screen width (2 hours) with each click (instead of 30 minutes on Web).

2. By swiping, you can scroll to the right properly on a tablet (this is not available on the computer obviously) You can also scroll down.

3. The information populates properly.

4. There is a "scroll icon" on the right and when you use it to scroll, it shows the channel number you're on.

Why can't AnyPlace Web work properly?

post #771 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-01-25, 07:42 PM

I can now again sign in to the RAPTV web app using Chrome. They were probably working on it the couple of days I couldn't. While the RECORDINGS button didn't work before, it's now the French ENREGISTREMENTS button and still "Coming Soon". Work in "progress".
post #772 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-04-04, 01:05 PM

It has been almost six months since Rogers removed the old web scheduler. The Anyplace TV web site for managing recordings still says it's coming soon. Things have gone from bad to worse as both the "Home Edition" iOS and Android apps have gaps on the guides and many programs can't be scheduled to record. At first I thought the apps have issues communicating with my PVR, but rebooting the PVR didn't fix the problem.

I also tried the Anyplace TV app, but it keeps complaining I have to associate my cable account with the myRogers account. It's already been associated or I wouldn't be able to log in to the Anyplace TV web site... It's so frustrating. When does this end?
post #773 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-04-05, 06:02 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Right now, the Android app is crashing on both my tablet and phone.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #774 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-04-05, 06:13 PM

iOS app working fine on my iPad and iPhone

Arris Xi6-A (Ignite TV), Yamaha RX-V681, Sony KDL-70R550A, LG BP620, Sony BDP-S5100, Sony XBR-55X900E
post #775 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-04-05, 06:25 PM
Veteran

It looks like Rogers has all but given up development on their existing TV platforms. I'm guessing but it looks like Rogers has decided to put all their money and efforts into the new X1 platform from Comcast. Before that they wasted $billions on their internal IPTV hardware development. Meanwhile Nextbox users languished due to rampant bugs and usability issues, and still do. I have serious doubts about the competence of Rogers hardware development team and their management.

I feel so cheated. Rogers NextBox receivers and PVRs were not cheap yet they work so poorly compared to offerings from other BDUs like Bell TV or Shaw Direct. Now it looks like we've been abandoned for another Rogers pipe dream. It's too bad. Otherwise, Rogers is a decent company to deal with compared to Shaw or Bell.
post #776 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-04-05, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
Right now, the Android app is crashing on both my tablet and phone.
Some people are reporting that they have to remove/re-install the app to get it working with MyRogers over on the Rogers forum.

Rogers are looking into doing Beta Testing on new apps and that may have caused issues with the old ones...

post #777 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 11:50 AM

This Saturday, FoxSR (409 in my area) will be airing Formula E Qualifying at 10:30AM and Formula E Race at 11:30AM. When I went to schedule this yesterday, the PVR IPG and Home Edition showed Nascar and Drag Racing.

Today Home Edition and the PVR IPG are showing Pinks and Arenacross at 10 & 11.

Today, AnyplaceTV (Web or App) is correctly showing Formula E at 10:30 and at 11:30, although the "info" doesn't contain any useful information like Qualifying or the Race.

What a mess. I guess I'll have to wait until the PVR IPG and/or Home Edition contains the correct information to programme my PVR since I can't do it from AnyplaceTV (web or app). If this happened only occasionally, it would be one thing, however, similar problems are encountered every week.

On top of this, one needs to use Home Edition to programme your PVR and Anyplace TV if you wish to stream - separate apps with separate guide information... Many people also seem to have issues with the AnyplaceTV App (logging in, etc). I don't use it myself and I don't have issues when I test it every few weeks, but it certainly doesn't appear to work well for quite a few people. (reported on Rogers' Forum). Home Edition has been working fine for me for quite a long time (if you ignore the fact that the guide information can often be wrong).

post #778 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 08:53 PM

Received the following email today from Rogers.

Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app and Rogers Live TV app.
Starting on May 31, 2018, the following changes will be made to our Rogers TV apps:
• For customers in Ontario, the Rogers Anyplace Home Edition app will no longer be available.
• For customers in Atlantic Canada, the Rogers Live TV app will no longer be available.

Sounds like all ability to remotely manage your PVR will be gone.
post #779 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 09:36 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I got the same notice. First they break the web app and now the tablet/phone app.

Quote:
it's still easy to set and manage your recordings using your Rogers TV remote at home.
When I check the TV schedule for programs to record, I use a browser on my desktop computer, which is nowhere near my TV. It was fine when I had the web app and not too bad when I was forced to use my tablet, but I really don't understand how it's going to be so "easy" when I have to go to the other end of my condo to set up the recordings, after finding them on Zap2it.

Way to go Rogers.
bjben likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #780 of 824 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 11:41 PM

So this is progress. What next? I'm expecting the Chrome Anyplace TV Recordings screen to change from "Coming Soon" to "Fooled you, it's not gonna happen".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in