Rogers 8642 & 9865 HD PVR External SATA Drive discussion - See Post 1 First - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 05:05 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
See post 63 and post 1.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 06:26 PM

I did see those. But I thought that the misreading of the usage related to the eHDD. The unit that I had misread by a large amount the space on its iHDD In fact after 1/2 hour of recording it registered 20% use on the iHDD.
post #78 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 06:59 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe it's internal or external - discussed in the 8642 user thread. I've reworded post 1.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #79 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 10:36 PM

I have gone back to the SA8300HD DVR. I am going to purchase the WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX. Is the Thermaltake ST0005U or the Thermaltake ST0014U the more reliable? Both have been mentioned in various posts.
Thanks
post #80 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 03:07 PM
Rookie

Hello guys, I find myself in a bit of a problems and could lose all my precious recordings

I have a 1 TB WD external drive connect to the 8642. The external drive was disconnected and hooked up to the computer but nothing else was done. It was then connected back to the PVR. Following that, just yesterday, I got the following message:

Quote:
format this external device to work this DVR?

NOTE: existing recordings on this external storage device will be erased if you press 'C' Cancel, the external device will not be available

two options
A - Yes Format
C - Cancel
The listing of all the old recording appears. However, when I click to play the recording, it doesn't play and it brings up the 'playback channel screen'. I can record though it seems to be from the internal harddrive

What can I do to stop losing my 1TB of recordings. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Really bad timing as I had gotten a dvd recorder to save all my pvr recordings

Last edited by telworks; 2011-11-22 at 05:24 PM.
post #81 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-11-23, 12:58 PM

I think the news is bad.
I assume you've tried powering off pvr (unplug), disconecting drive (power off), powering up pvr without external drive, powering off pvr (unplug), power up drive and connect to pvr (wait a bit to be sure drive and enclosure are fully up and happy), plug in pvr.

If the failure is consistent, then you are truly screwed. If everything comes back, then you are truly lucky (go buy a lottery ticket right away).

Most losses I've experienced can be traced to firmware upgrades being pushed out - sometimes waiting for the next reboot to 'cleanse' the index table and make to shows listed inaccessable. I wish there was a better alternative. Rogers doesn't care.
post #82 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-11-27, 04:22 PM
Rookie

I have found what is described as a "new" product on the Internet for expander use with the Scientific Atlanta

It is a prepackaged Iomega External Hard Drive - described below:

Comes with 1 TB hard drive, eSATA cable, adapter and stand.
$180.00 + taxes

Does anyone have any experience with the Iomega product? The price is certainly good!
post #83 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 03:32 PM
Rookie

Hi guys, new to this forum...

I have a couple questions in regards to hooking up a hard drive to my Rogers 8642 HD PVR (rental).

I currently have a Lacie d2 quadra 1TB (7200 RPM)

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10330

Will this drive suffice?

Second question, does the drive always have to be on or can I shut it off occasionally? If I do shut if off, does the PVR have to be unplugged and plugged back in in order for the external to be recognized?

Thanks for the info.
post #84 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Should it work? Likely. But you will have to see to find out. Some people have reported problems in the past using eSATA drives that also have Firewire ports. It depends on the controller on the inside. I tried a spare Vantech USB/Firewire/eSata I had lying around many many years ago to no avail, but the non-Firewire model worked fine with the drive (that enclosure/HD combo has been working now for 5 years or so on an 8300HD).

As for the second question, if you want to turn your external off, you need to first do a hard power off of the unit (so pull power from wall), turn off external, plug the unit back in. Then when you want the external back on, you need to hard power off the unit, turn the external on, then power back up the unit (yes you can also do it off a reboot but this is the safe way of doing it). Obviously when the external is unplugged your PVR will only record to the internal drive. This isn't a recommended way of doing things. Once you attach an external, you should just keep it attached and on at all times. Then you don't have to worry about missed recordings or corrupting your index file.

Also, get yourself a UPS for both the PVR and the external, so you won't have problems with power outages. It doesn't have to be a APC 2200 VA or anything (its for sure overkill on my 8642HD), a little 300 or 500 VA unit that you can get for like $50+ at BB, FS, Source or wherever will suffice (as I use on my 8300HD).

Good luck!
post #85 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply, alebowgm. I do have a UPS attached already so that won't be an issue. I guess I will just have to keep the drive on 24/7/365...

If the drive doesn't work or gives me problems, I guess I should invest in the WD Black caviar like most in this thread?
post #86 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 03:45 PM
Veteran

That's the safe bet. Most of us have had success with that drive. When I got my 8642 about a year or so ago, that is the route I went and I have had pretty much no missed recordings.

As a side note, I inherited that same Lacie drive/enclosure (or perhaps an earlier model) about 18 months ago and after installing a new hard drive and using some online tweaks, it works without issue when attached to my Airport Extreme for Time Capsule.
post #87 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 04:22 PM
Rookie

Thanks again, alebowgm. Well, to let everybody know... the drive (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10330) works with the 8642HD PVR.

I got a message after the format saying the drive connected and works with the PVR

I didn't do another reboot of the box. When I checked space left, it said I had 4% used. Prior, I had 19% used. Do you suggest another reboot or should I be fine?

Again, thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Last edited by word_play; 2011-12-04 at 07:27 PM.
post #88 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-11, 06:08 PM
Rookie

Hi alebowgm,

As for the second question, if you want to turn your external off, you need to first do a hard power off of the unit (so pull power from wall), turn off external, plug the unit back in. Then when you want the external back on, you need to hard power off the unit, turn the external on, then power back up the unit (yes you can also do it off a reboot but this is the safe way of doing it). Obviously when the external is unplugged your PVR will only record to the internal drive. This isn't a recommended way of doing things. Once you attach an external, you should just keep it attached and on at all times. Then you don't have to worry about missed recordings or corrupting your index file.

If I understand what you're saying, the esata drive needs to be on every time the pvr is on, or should it be powered at all times? I was thinking of hooking up an esata 3.5" drive and connecting the enclosure's power adapter to the switched outlet on the back of the pvr so that, when the pvr is turned on for recording or viewing, the drive will come on too.

If this will not work or there is a solution whereby I could power down the drive in between recordings, that would be great.

Thanks
post #89 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-11, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by word_play View Post
Thanks again, alebowgm. Well, to let everybody know... the drive (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10330) works with the 8642HD PVR.

I got a message after the format saying the drive connected and works with the PVR

I didn't do another reboot of the box. When I checked space left, it said I had 4% used. Prior, I had 19% used. Do you suggest another reboot or should I be fine?

Again, thanks for your help. It is appreciated.
From the first page of the thread

Quote:
Does the PVR not report % space properly? Many people have reported the % space doesn't seem correct (internal and/or external), especially if there is not a lot of space used - 8642 User thread. See the following suggestion - it may help:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...17#post1336617
post #90 of 225 (permalink) Old 2011-12-11, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
If I understand what you're saying, the esata drive needs to be on every time the pvr is on, or should it be powered at all times? I was thinking of hooking up an esata 3.5" drive and connecting the enclosure's power adapter to the switched outlet on the back of the pvr so that, when the pvr is turned on for recording or viewing, the drive will come on too.

If this will not work or there is a solution whereby I could power down the drive in between recordings, that would be great.

Thanks
What you are thinking about is not a recommended method. The reason being that if you have recordings that occur while your PVR is in standby mode, it may try to record to the external instead of your internal and you will have a lost recording or you can corrupt your index on the internal. Don't forget, the only time the PVR is actually off is when it is unplugged from the wall.

Just keep the external on at all times and plugged in independently. Then you don't have anything to worry about. Otherwise you are playing with fire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in