Rogers 8642 HD (Nextbox 2.0) PVR Owners Thread: Read post #1 ) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-15, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Cisco 8642HD

I purchased one at Best Buy about a month ago. Was very excited and started to tape some shows in HD. After beginning to watch them and then using fast forward, the picture was pixalating terribly. Same thing in rewind. This only happened in HD. Took the box back and exchanged it for another. Took it home..same thing happened. Called Rogers and they did a check from their office and said the line in is fine, but will send a Tech over to look at it. He shook his head and said he has never seen this before, but suggested that the cable is old and may need replacing. I wasn't happy with this answer, so took the PVR back and got a third one. Same thing again. Called Rogers tech support again. This time I got a man that was excellent. Checked our line again from the office and said it is fine. Checked with his supervisor who said hasn't heard of any problems, but not many sold yet. My contact checked the internet, and low and behold, there it was. Same problems reported in HD recording only. Live play is fine. Now he is hoping that Engineering will do something from their end to fix the problem. If not back to the old smaller drive PVR. Let me know if there are others who are experiencing the same problems please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 05:33 AM

I'm aware of the limitations of HDMI, I'm just surprised because I've had both 4250 and 8300 boxes on that TV in the past and never had this problem. Would they be able to fix this through a firmware update?

Samsung UN46C7000 / Bell Fibe 1232 / Sony PS3 / Yamaha HTR-5740 / Energy Take Classic 5.1 / Harmony 610
post #108 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 10:53 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The reason you didn't see this behaviour in the past is because of new firmware.

1. The (new) audio feature is to allow for audio on TV and AVR, which was not available before via the two digital connections (HDMI and Coaxial or optical). Before you could only have one or the other, unless you used analogue audio for the TV, which wasn't useful for some TVs if you use an HDMI connection for video. Some people want to have the option of using the TV or AVR speakers, which now appears possible without changing settings in the STB.

2. The "self determination" of output formats is also a feature to prevent the problems associated with TVs like (some) Samsungs which didn't allow 480i via HDMI.

3. The "blank screen" issue sounds like a handshake issue, which should be correctable via a firmware update (of the TV or STB - don't know which). Years ago it was recommended to start the PVR/STB on an SD channel instead of the last channel or an HD channel. I don't know if this is a re-occurance of that issue, or simply a handshake with your TV, wherein it seems to need a "change" to get the signal.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #109 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 03:23 PM
JCL

Unhappy

I tried scanning through this thread and others before posting this:

Got an 8642HD3 which is the 500 GB model. When I am watching live or almost live programming, the programming cannot be fast-forwarded or rewound. I made sure there was enough of the program in the buffer so I could rewind, or if I am watching it slightly delayed, it can be skipped to a later point. No luck whatsoever. A live program simply cannot be paused. The 30 second quick rewind doesn't work either.

When I am viewing something that's recorded (from the list), the FF/REW does work as advertised. And so I know it is not the remote.

Does this happen with anyone?
post #110 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 03:48 PM
JCL

I reboot the box, the problem went away. Weird !!
post #111 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 05:29 PM

Thanks 57... looks like I'll just have to deal with it for now and hopefulyl a firware update can fix some of the issues.

Samsung UN46C7000 / Bell Fibe 1232 / Sony PS3 / Yamaha HTR-5740 / Energy Take Classic 5.1 / Harmony 610
post #112 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-17, 03:15 PM
Rookie

With regards to your option 3 (blank screen), I get that with my 8642 when switching on for the first time using a universal remote. I am going from the 8642 through an Anthem D2 to a Panasonic TC-P54V10.

To get a picture, I hit the 8642's "guide" option on the remote, that appears (but the video picture is blank), I switch channels and voila I have a picture and all is good.
post #113 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-17, 03:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Thanks for the additional feedback. As indicated in the HDMI FAQ, sometimes it helps if you turn your equipment on in a certain order. For example, I've found with many Pioneer AVRs that they must be turned on first for an appropriate handshake for all equipment. You may wish to experiment, turning on the AVR first, or some different order depending on your equipment.

Of course it is possible that the 8642, relatively new to Rogers, has some sort of firmware glitch which causes a blank screen with all equipment until you switch channels, but I would have thought we'd have heard more about it if that were the case. (Firmware is specific to the PVR and the service provider).

post #114 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-18, 01:01 AM

Same here.

I have a Pioneer Kuro Elite, and with this new PVR, I have found that I need to make sure that the TV is turned on at least 3 seconds before I turn on the PVR.
If I don't, then I get a black screen. Hitting guide or whatever will display onscreen, but until you tune to a specific channel, you won't get any output.
post #115 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-18, 11:34 AM
mgl

We've had our 8642 for a few months now and the only consistent problems we've had are signal dropout (goes completely blank for a moment) and macro blocking when fast forwarding.

These problems are annoying, but not so annoying that I've done anything about them yet. I haven't tested my signal strength since I picked up the new box but last time I checked it with the old 8300 the signal strength was within limits. I assume I should test the strength and then if it's fine is it worth calling Rogers?

Thanks in advance
post #116 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-18, 05:40 PM

Call Rogers, only way they'll know there's a problem is if you tell them.
I don't have any of the symptoms you folks are reporting, so I would think there must be something wrong on your end or with your cable box.
post #117 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 06:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeman View Post
I purchased one at Best Buy about a month ago. Was very excited and started to tape some shows in HD. After beginning to watch them and then using fast forward, the picture was pixalating terribly. Same thing in rewind. This only happened in HD. Took the box back and exchanged it for another. Took it home..same thing happened. Called Rogers and they did a check from their office and said the line in is fine, but will send a Tech over to look at it. He shook his head and said he has never seen this before, but suggested that the cable is old and may need replacing. I wasn't happy with this answer, so took the PVR back and got a third one. Same thing again. Called Rogers tech support again. This time I got a man that was excellent. Checked our line again from the office and said it is fine. Checked with his supervisor who said hasn't heard of any problems, but not many sold yet. My contact checked the internet, and low and behold, there it was. Same problems reported in HD recording only. Live play is fine. Now he is hoping that Engineering will do something from their end to fix the problem. If not back to the old smaller drive PVR. Let me know if there are others who are experiencing the same problems please.
I have exactly the same problems with an 8642 500GB but not all the time. Global seems to be the worst. Even watching live I get audio dropouts and ofter when fast forwarding a recorded program extreme pixelating towards the last half of the program. Rogers replaced all my cables and I exchanged the box for another 8642. No improvement.
post #118 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Does anyone know if you can turn on this unit with a numeric button press like the 8300HD?
I don't see discrete power on and off IR codes anywhere.
Using the numeric feature on the 8300HD was a great macro work around.

Thanks.....
post #119 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 11:42 AM

Can anyone report on what might be the most important issue for me in a PVR: Is there any way to get the recordings off the PVR?! Is there still firewire functionality, and if so, is there any sign of improvement with the constant skipping/locking when doing so? Is there any other way to get stuff off of the new pvr?

Thanks
post #120 of 884 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 12:49 PM

For Rogers Firewire, please use the following thread. Read post 1 since it's been updated:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56259

For other copying (to say a DVD), here's that link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50162

Tags
8642 , 8642HD , audio drpouts , cisco , cisco 8642 , closed captioning , download , firmware , freezing , hd-pvr , live , pause , pixelation , pvr , quality , recording , recordings , rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in