Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
8642 HDMI handshake is slower than the 8300
I just installed my two 8642s today.
There was one glitch that I noticed - in comparison to my 8300.
I previously had my 8300HD working with my Pioneer Kuro Elite 151 such that (on the remote), when I pressed CAB, then PWR - it would turn on the TV, then the Rogers box.
This worked fine.
Now, with the new 8642, this same sequence does not work properly.
There seems to be an HDMI (timing) issue that is different than the 8300HD.
When the TV comes on, and then the Rogers box, there is seemingly not enough "time" for the TV to (see) the 8642 - leaving me with a black screen - as if the 8642 was not on.
Turning the 8642 off, then on again fixes it.
My only solution is to set up the remote to only control the power of the devices individually - rather than the multi device macro way - as I need to allow about 1 second more before I turn on the 8642 after my TV comes on.
What this boils down to is that the 8642 must start up a bit slower than the 8300 - and it sends its signals via the HDMI cable a bit delayed compared to the 8300.
Not a big deal, of course - but a noticeable difference between the two.
Maybe an upcoming firmware update would fix it....
In any event, the new features I like are:
- Color schemes (the guide themes) use richer colors - look better on screen
- FFW, REW, etc display the actual time on the pointer where you are
- Channels you don't subscribe to are in grey (finally)
- So far, the "quickstart" nonsense has not made its way onto the two units
- The hard drive seems to run MUCH quieter than the 8300