8300HD PVR overheating fear question. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

8300HD PVR overheating fear question.

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing the Roger's 8300HD PVR, but I'm concerned about overheating. The unit will be housed in a cabinet with limited ventilation. The cabinet has a glass door in front and the rear has two-two inch holes for wiring. As this configuration permits limited ventilation, I'd like to get the advice of the group as to whether this will cause the PVR to overheat. If so what can I do to reduce (elminiate) any overheating problems.

Thanks,
D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 07:40 AM
Veteran

Without knowing all the details, it's impossible for anyone to say if it'd overheat. You say it has two holes. Are they high or low in the cabinet? If one were significantly higher than the other and above the PVR, there'd be a chimney effect to promote heat loss. Other than more holes, there's not much you can do.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 08:15 AM
Veteran

IO have 2 and they both run quite hot. the one in an enclosed cabinet had had to be replaced once. I think if you can't ventilate well it may be safer to rent.

"I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism" James Cameron

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 10:09 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Options - Cut larger holes in the back of the cabinet. Add a quiet fan to the back of the cabinet.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone, for your replies.

The holes are about 6 inches apart, one above the over. They probably won't offer sufficient ventilation.

I was also considering a fan. Can anyone recommend a small 120volt fan for this purpose?

Thanks,
D.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 01:39 PM

Never replaced one

I have had my 8300HD in a wooden entertainment centre for the last 3 years.
I was honestly not even careful about ventilation.
The are very few ventilation holes, only for cables in the rear.
It is sitting on-top of a Bell 6100 and a DVD recorder.
I also have it connected to a 500GB external hard drive.
No problems at all.

H550, H890, H1, SA8300, SA8300HD, SA940, PS3 SLIM 250GB, Panny TH42PX60U, Prima PS3227, Sammy BDP1500, Toshiba HDA3
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-14, 12:09 PM
Rookie

8300 HD PVR heating Problems!

Hey folks,

For those who are worried about heating issues with their PVR, here is a simple and cheap way to fix it. I've always been aware of HEAT with ALL my Electronic equipment. HEAT and COMPOENETS DONT MIX! M PVR is placed in a very tight space, a shelving unit enclose in glass with a 6" by 4" hole at the back and it ventilates properly now! I purchased a 10$ Laptop Cooling Pad at "XS CARGO"! I'm not sure if everyone has a store like this but i'm sure you can find a cheap one somewhere. I placed the cooling pad under the PVR and plugged in the FRONT USB PORT! Those who are afraid the USB won't work, i thought the same but the power still is fed to it, so don't worry! Before i tried this the PVR was Intensly HOT but not anymore! Good Luck!

Sincerely,
Wasabie13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in