$100 Programming Credit with New HD PVR (SA8300HD) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Question $100 Programming Credit with New HD PVR (SA8300HD)

I just bought a new HD PVR, a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD with a 320GB Hard Drive.

I bought it at an extended Boxing Week Sale for a good price (I think!) Furthermore, the retailer's newspaper flyer also advertised that Videotron would give a $100 programming credit BEGINNING JANUARY 5TH.

This is the SECOND HD PVR for my household. When we bought our first PVR in May 2008 we received a $100 credit. It was a straightforward $100 bottom-line credit on my May or June bill.

Since I'm of a cynical nature, I had a feeling that there might be a problem getting the credit for this new second PVR. I called Videotron’s Customer Service this morning (Friday January 2 when they probably had mainly inexperienced customer service representatives since it's almost a holiday). The CSR said that I would be entitled to the $100 credit. It would be a credit on my overall bill.

I went out and bought the PVR this evening. At the store they said that to get the $100 programming credit, I wouldn't need to give any kind of special code or refer to anything in particular, Videotron would just give the credit.

I called up Videotron again at about 8pm tonight to see if I could activate the new PVR and what the story was with the programming credit. Again, keep in mind that the retailer's flyer clearly stated that the programming credit was effective January 5th. Well tonight's CSR (probably even more inexperienced!) told me that there was no such special. The CSR told me that if a customer was buying their FIRST HD receiver or PVR, then they would be entitled to a $50 overall credit on their bill AND a $50 credit on pay-per-view (or something similar) purchases. In addition, people buying at Brault & Martineau would get an extra $50 credit (not sure if that was an overall credit or a PPV credit.)

I'm not gonna get all upset over any of this until I again speak to Videotron on Monday January 5th. At the best of times, CSR's often don't know much more than what their computers tell them. This is especially true on a quasi-holiday. By Monday, their computers might very well have their new specials.

My question to the forum is what has been your experience with these programming credits and have they generally applied or not applied to people buying their SECOND PVR's?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and my apologies if this thread should have been started in the Shopping and Deals Forum but it's essentially a Videotron Customer Service Issue. If the Mods feel otherwise I'm fine with it being moved.

Last edited by axeman13; 2009-01-03 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Edited to remove pricing and identification of retailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 03:57 PM

I called as I am interested in this deal as well, and they told me it's a $50 credit on pay-per-view only, not even activation!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 10:02 AM

Confirmed $100 activation credit starting January 5th 2009

Also bought an HD-PVR over Christmas at FS. Called Videotron CS a couple of time to validate activation & programming credits. They confirmed me yesterday that a new SuperBowl promo would start January 5th, would give $100 activation credit for NEW HD customers, but it wasn't in their system yet.

Seems FS made an error in their flyer saying the promo was starting as January 2nd. Videotron seemed to have honoured the new promo for some customers by giving them the actual $50 currently available Activation Credit (available at FS, BB, Centre Hi-FI... only B&M seemed to have an add'l $50 PpV credit at this time), and an note into the customer file to adjust with an add'l $50 activation credit on Jan 5th to compensate for some supplier's advertisement printing error.

But as usual, sorry for you, all those activation credits are for NEW HD customers only (one chance in your life).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 08:11 PM

Who hoo! That's me, that's me!! Looks like I'll be picking up an HD Illico tomorrow.

Thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-13, 04:20 PM

Also, don't forget that "price matching is your friend." Before Christmas, I noticed an ad for a small electronics store in Beloeil offering the SA4250 HD box on sale (after a $50 programming credit from Videotron). BB matched the sale price.

Note that when I activated the box over the phone Videotron did not mention the $50 offer. After it was up and running, I called their customer service dept. and asked about the credit, which they promptly gave me no problems.

On the same visit, I also got them to price match a PC monitor that was $100 cheaper at Future Shop (I hate going anywhere near FS unless they're the only retailer carrying a product I want. Their staff are like famished vultures who pounce on customers the moment they walk in. I've actually had FS employess try to grab stuff out of my hands that I picked up off the shelf myself!).

I've also read the BB and FS will price match online retailers such as NCIX, Tigerdirect, etc.

Last edited by 57; 2009-02-12 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Pricing removed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in